You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

MCU Discussion Thread (Contains Spoilers)

Paul

Having mulled it over a bit more, I think the one criticism I’d level at this show is that they deffo went a too slowly at the start but also were a bit too quick narratively speaking at the end.

The last episode tied up loads of loose ends and dangled just as many new threads all in 40 minutes when I think they could easily have justified either another episode or, preferably for me, throwing an extra 20 minutes onto this one. Too much was done through exposition when a bit more time would’ve allowed a little more subtlety. That said, I haven’t changed my mind: I still really enjoyed it. 

The bit of Marvel digging I've done since last night (thank to my kids for the loan of their Marvel encyclopaedias) makes me think the big villain in Dr Strange 2 will be Chthon who wrote the Darkhold. I’m also assuming that Dr Strange will sense Wanda’s use of the Darkhold and come to stop her before they team up to stop Chthon who I reckon is in another dimension with the kids and wants his book back. 

With the hints of three Spideys as well as villains from the old Sony Spiderman films in Spiderman 3 I’m assuming a link between that and Dr Strange 2 in some way. 

Either way, the MCU feels in great shape to me and I can’t wait for FATWS in a fortnight’s time. Just want a final release date on Black Widow and I’ll be happy. This shit is great. Far and away the most consistent and coherent extended cinematic narrative there’s been in my view.*

Not saying it’s better than Star Wars, Indy or other classic movie extended stories just yet (although I’m not saying it isn’t, either); just that it’s gone much further and much deeper while maintaining a level of quality and narrative coherence way beyond what could be expected given the number of “texts” it now encompasses. 

*Apologies to Sharknado.  

• Upvote 1

Have watched episode 9 twice now - still enjoyed it immensely but agree that it wasn't perfect. I wanted Monica to play a bigger role in the resolution; Darcy and Jimmy were also underused, and Hayward was a damp squib - I'm not convinced he would have shot at two children.

I thought the resolution of the Visions battle was excellent, as was the townspeople's reaction to Wanda. I loved the Wizard of Oz joke. The ending, her losing everything and being hated, was brave though post credit scene two does nicely set up at least one of the forthcoming films.

Fingers crossed that TFAWS is as compelling.

• Upvote 3

Now caught up. Really enjoyed it although the last episode perhaps wasn’t quite the pay-off people were expecting.

I’m glad to see that Agatha is still in play, and the Vision as well. As an exploration of grief I thought as a whole it worked really well. Some fantastic moments between Olsen and Bettany. Is there a better line in any MCU film or show than “What is grief if not love persevering.” Beautifully delivered as well. From his first appearance onscreen Bettany has managed to imbue Vision with an uncommon decency and humanity, matched only by Evans.

I agree that Darcy and Monica felt underused in the last few episodes.

The Darkhold was much more imaginatively designed than the one in Agents Of Shield.

One thing I think doesn’t quite scan is with the hex around Westview being magic, it would have lit up like a giant magic Christmas tree, so how come the Sorcerer Supreme didn’t pitch up to investigate? Surely alarm bells would have been going off back at the Sanctum Santorum?

5 hours ago, Anubis said:

Now caught up. Really enjoyed it although the last episode perhaps wasn’t quite the pay-off people were expecting.

I’m glad to see that Agatha is still in play, and the Vision as well. As an exploration of grief I thought as a whole it worked really well. Some fantastic moments between Olsen and Bettany. Is there a better line in any MCU film or show than “What is grief if not love persevering.” Beautifully delivered as well. From his first appearance onscreen Bettany has managed to imbue Vision with an uncommon decency and humanity, matched only by Evans.

I agree that Darcy and Monica felt underused in the last few episodes.

The Darkhold was much more imaginatively designed than the one in Agents Of Shield.

One thing I think doesn’t quite scan is with the hex around Westview being magic, it would have lit up like a giant magic Christmas tree, so how come the Sorcerer Supreme didn’t pitch up to investigate? Surely alarm bells would have been going off back at the Sanctum Santorum?

Spot on about that line. I think it might be one of the most apposite things I’ve ever heard about grief. And as someone who, like too many of us these days, has had recent experience of grief, I found it quite a comforting perspective. 

As for the Sorcerer Supreme, I reckon that’s exactly what will bring him and Wanda together in Dr Strange 2. Maybe he was fine in this with it just being Wanda’s uneducated magic that he detected; fucking with the Darkhold as she tries to save her kids is a whole other level though. 

Just binged WandaVision over two days and I thoroughly enjoyed it. What a pleasure to see something constructed with such affection for both the comics and American sitcoms. I have a few minor quibbles, but that is all they are, and they can be easily overlooked given the ambition of the storytelling and the excellent performances by the cast.

I think I may also be just a little bit in love with Elizabeth Olsen.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Just binged WandaVision over two days and I thoroughly enjoyed it. What a pleasure to see something constructed with such affection for both the comics and American sitcoms. I have a few minor quibbles, but that is all they are, and they can be easily overlooked given the ambition of the storytelling and the excellent performances by the cast.

I think I may also be just a little bit in love with Elizabeth Olsen.

Just a little bit? I’m head over heels with her. She is absolutely stunning. 

• 2 weeks later...

Enjoyed the first episode. Very much setting the scene of a post-Endgame world. Sam coming to realise that being a hero who helped save the planet only gets you so much goodwill, and Bucky having his own Steve Rodgers style to-do list, albeit of a very different kind.

Good to see Batroc is still alive, kicking and hijacking stuff, but did they not want to resolve the question of the plane on autopilot? Nice little Inhumans in-joke as well.

Yeah, it was great. Felt very cinematic after WandaVision; much more like the original concept of “a movie split into six parts”. The opening action scene in the air was fantastic. I also really enjoyed the humanising elements of the story for both Sam and Buck with their respective financial and guilt woes.

So much being opened up narratively for the MCU too. Clearly moving towards Weapon Plus/Weapon X territory as that Flag Smasher dude looks like he’s had a taste of the Super Soldier Serum. Also hints that old Cap could make a cameo appearance. Is he with Nick Fury in that space/moon base? 

Looking forward to next week when they’ll presumably share screen time. Interested to see how both Zemo and Sharon Carter come into it too. 

I thought the moon base was a knowing in-joke to the upcoming Inhumans.

And, yeah, they went big with that opening action sequence. Also looks like they’re working hard (from this episode and the final trailer) to give Falcon some inventive fighting moves. 

3 hours ago, Scott_M said:

The opening action sequence is very good and the bits with Bucky were interesting but I had zero interest in the Falcon and these scenes with his sister.

Hopefully that storyline is binned quickly. 

Felt they wasted that scene with throwing you right into without much thought or care to what the fucks going on. 

It could have been so much better if we actually cared at the time. 

Yeah. It’s great. I thought it felt like there were a couple of tiny little missteps in the editing (Bucky just turning up unannounced, New Cap latching on to Sam with barely an explanation, the doc dragging Sam into Buck’s therapy), but nothing that really bothered me. To be honest, those are probably the hardest bits to pull off when doing something like this though as they’re basically making a four hour movie chopped up into six bits which means they have to balance the structure of each episode with the structure of the whole thing.  

So the super soldier stuff is confirmed (loved the old dude who clearly preceded Steve) and Weapons Plus (and then X) is deffo coming. Great! Love the hippy terrorism of the Flagsmashers too. More moralistic/idealistic baddies in the MCU. 

I really liked the BLM nod when the cops harrassed Sam, too. It was pretty subtle but a nice touch. 

Just been reading up on Isiah Bradley and his grandson who becomes Patriot, a Young Avenger. There are now so many threads in the MCU you can see why they’ve announced about 20 films and TV shows already. They’re going to need them all to continue weaving them all together. 

Another great episode, they're layering so many characters and themes in to the MCU with every passing week. With the death of Chadwick Boseman (and the subsequent uncertainty of Black Panther) and the current sociopolitical climate there's clearly going to be an exploration of what it means to be a black superhero/icon. I think the treatment of Isaiah, coupled with John Walker's unsuitability and the racial profiling of Sam are going to be the drivers to him taking the Captain America mantle. 

Interesting point on the Young Avengers nod, Paul - isn't that 3/4 YA's we have now? Wiccan, Speed and Kate Bishop in the upcoming Hawkeye show? That's definitely a set up.

• Upvote 1