You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

MCU Discussion Thread (Contains Spoilers)

Paul

18 hours ago, Elite said:

Hawkeye deserves his own movie.

I think they underused Korg as well, definitely needs more screen time as he's hilarious.

There's talk he's going to get one based on his bloodlust Punisher time whilst his family were dead 

Give it a high enough age rating and it could be fucking superb.   I hope it's not just talk cause I said to my friends as soon as we left the cinema, I want to see more of that Hawkeye! 

43 minutes ago, moof said:

Loved it, clear 9 or 10/10 for me. Hard to imagine how they could’ve nailed it any better than they did. Completely satisfying. 

Thor in the next guardians of the galaxy? Oh hell yeah

I'm pretty sure I've read it's going to be a prequel of sorts.   (Guardians 3) 

56 minutes ago, Fugitive said:

Went to see it last night and loved it. Pissed up Thor is immense and his mates playing on the Xbox was fucking hilarious.

”Thor, that kids has just called me a dickhead again”

Taika Waititi has to be one of the funniest people around right now. He's brilliant and his Korg is funny as fuck. Hemsworth is a revelation in a funny role too. Didn't think he had it in him but he's ace.

5 minutes ago, skend04 said:

Taika Waititi has to be one of the funniest people around right now. He's brilliant and his Korg is funny as fuck. Hemsworth is a revelation in a funny role too. Didn't think he had it in him but he's ace.

My bird said the same, from the first Thor film to now, the transformation is mad.

Get that rabbit!

Fantastic film, loved it. As interesting and unique a "blockbuster " as I've ever seen. I'm going to see it again next week and hoping it answers a few questions I have. I'll respond with more detailed thoughts when I get half an hour. 

1. Didn’t see Tony’s death coming. Always thought that if they killed one of the ‘leaders’ it would be Cap. However, it all started with Iron Man so it was fitting it ended with him as well.

2. As for Cap, I always hated the character as a kid. Like Superman, I always saw him as ramming idealistic American values down the throat. However, the MCU version is my favourite character. They’ve played down the jingoism (and even subverted it) in favour of Steve Rodgers being a decent guy who just wants to do the right thing. Perfectly played by Chris Evans. The end scene, where he’s finally set aside duty to have a slice of his own happiness, getting that dance with Peggy, was a pitch perfect way to close the film out.

3. Black Widow’s death relatively early was not so unexpected once you knew she and Clint were tasked with getting the Soul Stone. Knowing a sacrifice had to be made, and putting it on the two characters who had a completely unconditional friendship, made it obvious that Nat was the logical choice to kill off. In some ways a shame, as she’s the most interesting female hero, especially seeing her vulnerability over coping with running the Avengers in that five year period, so I’m looking forward to a stand alone prequel, because I think they could definitely go darker with that. 

4. Speaking of going darker, another vote for a Ronin film, please. Preferably rated 18. Loved the idea of Clint going around, offing all the criminal groups who survived Thanos’ purge because he believed they shouldn’t have lived while decent people like his family died.

5. Didn’t think the Hulk quite got used as effectively as he might have. 

6. I finally caught up with the Captain Marvel film the morning before Endgame, which helped explain her entrance. I thought it was pretty decent entertainment. I don’t have any problem with Brie Larson and I don’t know see why she’s taking so much internet stick. I think her performance was ok. I don’t particularly like the character because I find massively powerful heroes a bit boring, and she’s the nearest thing to Superman in the MCU. However Larson  was fine in her own film but a bit of an add on to Endgame, and I thought her utilisation was ok as a secondary character.

7. I think the sisterhood moment was unnecessary for adults, but if it bolsters the enjoyment and belief of little girls everywhere, then why not. Nowt wrong with a bit of inspiration for future generations. Marvel have certainly done a better job at presenting strong female characters than that Ghostbusters reboot abomination.

8. Any reviewer complaining about fan service can fuck off. Lots of people have stuck with the MCU as an ongoing massive story and they deserve the pay-off of all the little references to previous films that were in there. Too many to mention. Loved the “Heil Hydra!” scene when you’re expecting another elevator scrap. But with Tony and Thor temporarily down and out, Cap standing alone, facing down Thanos and his whole army, and hearing “on your left” from Falcon, was probably my fave. A great reference to Winter Soldier and again, a perfect way to signal that the cavalry has arrived.

9. Tom Holland continues to be boss as Spider-Man, even with relatively little screen time. And Tony’s death explains why Nick Fury seems to be taking over mentoring duties in the trailer for Far From Home.

10. Slob Thor. To do it, and stick with it for the entire film was a bold, brilliant decision. Great scene with his mum (similar for Tony and his dad). The scenes with Korg and Miek were ace. Waititi is funny as fuck - “That kid’s calling me a dickhead again.”

11. Killing Thanos within the first fifteen minutes. That’s how to subvert audience expectations and have them wondering where you’re going with the rest of a three hour run time.

12. To conclude, not quite perfect, but damn close, and a superb way to end what has been a massive undertaking. For me it lives up to and probably surpassed expectations, especially as it eschewed all out wall to wall action and instead gave balance with great character moments. Not the greatest film you’ll ever see, but a fitting end to the saga.

I’ll shut up now.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 7

Really enjoyed it although I think I'll always be more fond of Infinity War because that gave us the more introspective, nuanced Thanos. In Endgame he lacked the gravitas of someone who had created mass genocide with a 'sane' rational.

I'm not keen about killing off Stark, would've preferred retirement and since when did Iron Man armour have the ability to hold Infinity Stones when Thanos' gauntlet had to be forged from a dying star to be able to withstand it's power?

Also would've preferred Cap to get vanish into the time stream with clues coming out that he's in the past with Peggy but I get it, this is the conclusion and this is how it ends.

Didn't have much of an issue with the rest, it was funny, plotted fairly well and provided some terrific callbacks to anyone who's had these movies in their lives for the last 10 years. Always happy to see Korg again, Tom Holland is the best Spider-Man, Thor and Hulk have shown you can develop good personalities from fairly rigid characters and where the MCU goes next will be interesting because the Eternals and Shang-Chi do not really excite me at all. Looking forward to seeing how much they invest in the Disney+ series in the next few years.

On 30/04/2019 at 01:08, Anubis said:

No. Fuck the guy. It's something I have absolutely no sorry over. Anybody doing the to deliberately fuck other people's enjoyment of it is a complete cunt and a good hiding should swiftly teach the twat a lesson. 

• RedKnight changed the title to MCU Discussion Thread (Contains Spoilers)