You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

MCU Discussion Thread (Contains Spoilers)

Paul

I’m absolutely not a fan of the MU, although I’ve watched a few of the films and those I’ve watched have generally been good. 

I think the two epic films could have been three, some characters have not been given nearly enough screen time. I’d also say Endgame was about twenty minutes too long, but that could have been solved by adding that third film.

Thor loser was funny but very quickly became really annoying and the character got seriously screwed in this film I think. 

I welcome any decent character no matter their gender so let’s stick to good characters instead of just trying to meet targets and cunts not in the internet. 

The time travel thing has been used far too often, just getting the characters to acknowledge that didn’t make it any better. Nice Stark got to choose to fuck everyone over for five years to suit himself, I’d have preferred a reset instead of what they did. Although I’m still trying to get my head around what they did and how capt America did what he did without it affecting anything. It should be getting criticised more for the time travel shot than it already is.

I enjoyed it but I wouldn’t watch it again and I doubt I’ll bother with any new films, except guardians of the galaxy which I do enjoy. 

Incredible use use of cgi though. From someone that couldn’t give a shit about the MU I think it would be very hard to top that film, MU fans who have avidly watched everything waiting for this moment must have had their minds blown.

Finally watched it last night. A lot of my thoughts have already been mentioned in the thread to I'll skip most of that. 

Unfortunately I had the Tony and black widow deaths spoiled for me by cunts online. Although I probably would have expected him to die, as it all started with him, and his last words "I am Iron Man" the same as at the end of the first film. Like poetry. 

The big battle scene was great, massive grin on my face and goosebumps. 

Captain Marvel was annoying, it's like she was obviously too powerful to have around so they kept her off screen for most of it, might as well have not bothered with her at all, they should have just introduced her in phase 4. She's a shit one dimensional character with zero charisma or chemistry with the avengers, and Brie Larson is a cunt. 

The girl power bit was annoying too, fair enough it's good to have positive representation of female hero's in these films but the way they did it was embarrassing. Fucking feminists. 

Fat Thor drinking Innis & Gunn made me happy, finally some positive representation of a decent beer in a mainstream movie and a realistic body type. This must be how black kids felt when they watched Black Panther, seeing somebody on screen who looks like them. 

Hard to imagine where they'll go from here, but it's been a fun journey. 

Twas good blockbuster entertainment. Yes the time travel bits do not stack up.

The CGI mass  battle is a bit "yeah seen that before" etc.

However, as big, dumb blockbuster movies go it was high quality and excellent fun. It wont stay with me for long but none of these movies do

8.5/10

Captain Marvel might be poorly sketched as she hadn't filmed her standalone film and Endgame isn't a movie to showcase a new character. 

It was easier introducing Spidey in Civil War as a) he's Spider-Man, one of the most famous characters around b) we can skip all introductions in a big multi-character film. Can't do that with Captain Marvel, so Brie Larson has to find the role in a difficult spot.

I think she gets a lot of hate due to press comments about white males. She also may be an arsehole but I've never met her so can't comment.

Thought it was shite to be honest, really dull in large parts and made no sense. I liked Infinity War, I'm not a huge Marvel film fan but have seen some good ones and some poor ones. Ragnarok and Winter Soldier probably the best I've seen. 

Too much of a cash cow to let it fade though, I'll be astounded if Iron Man doesn't end up in Star Wars or some bollocks.  

2 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Thought it was shite to be honest, really dull in large parts and made no sense. I liked Infinity War, I'm not a huge Marvel film fan but have seen some good ones and some poor ones. Ragnarok and Winter Soldier probably the best I've seen. 

Too much of a cash cow to let it fade though, I'll be astounded if Iron Man doesn't end up in Star Wars or some bollocks.  

I watched it today and the most exciting part was when my phone dropped out of my pocket. Somehow it didn't crack. 

• 3 weeks later...

Saw the film recently and thought it was great. Am not bothered about the countless possible implications of the uses of the stones in the film, thought it was a great comic book type film and that's it really. The last fight was insanely cool, and when they charged in it was like a properly huge comic book battle was about to take place, something I didn't think films would be able to manage that well but here it seemed to work great.

The bit with Cap and the hammer was one of my favourite bits too, also loved it when Wanda finally got back to facing Thanos, he had to call down an airstrike just to get her off him and I really liked that. Especially after she was one of my favourite characters that got wiped out in the last film, and how pissed off that whole ending, or cliffhanger, made me.

Of course that's now fine, I've seen the next part, but I really thought it sucked to have a year's gap waiting to see what happened next, and that's still my biggest problem with both films (which yes again, doesn't exist as a problem now so whatever.) I'm not sure how that could've been avoided, but maybe in future if there's a double part film like this again I should just wait until I can see both parts at once or something.

As for Captain Marvel, she didn't speak that much and her character wasn't explored as much as it could've been, but I think that's cool because I saw this as mainly about the original Avengers anyway and how this phase ended.

The hate for her though and Brie Larson is something I find sad really. So if you think reading about Brie Larson or Captain Marvel specifically will wind you up, you don't have to read past this point.

- she's a left-wing activist and with her fame and the role that she's got she's been a magnet for right wingers (like Jack Posobiec for example) on social media which played a part in so much of the bullshit going around, and the review bombing of the Captain Marvel film.

- her character was said to be the most powerful (Kevin Feige actually said this) and with her being new that pissed off a load of fanboys of other characters, and also again, right wingers because it was a strong female which to them could only equal feminism/SJW, whatever the fuck you want to call it.

- Larson said she didn't need to know what a "40 year old white dude" thought of a feminist film (A Wrinkle In Time), ok fair enough, she was more interested in knowing what females thought of it. But this got twisted into her hating all white males, even though in the same appearance where she said this she shortly after said "I don't hate white dudes." (see here for more on how this got warped) But facts don't matter to right wingers when a famous feminist is now an Avenger (and apparently the most powerful) and they think it's "SJW", she'll be hated no matter what.

As for her being emotionless, to go back to her character, she had her mind wiped by an alien race and was then conditioned to be a member of their military, not exactly going to make her a bundle of joy I don't think. Not much emotion seems kind of right for that scenario. I think they even had their own dig at this in her film when some guy asked her to smile too.

I like the character (film and comic) and think Brie Larson is cool, so you could say there's bias here, I haven't commented on this before though and it's pissed me off for months so added a few points. I'm not going over the top about her own film either, I enjoyed it though, and liked her parts in Endgame.

Imagine if Captain Marvel ends up being a lesbian and the reaction to that. It couldn't possibly be a natural choice that was made, it would 100% have to be a feminist SJW conspiracy being forced on the masses. I'd be having a good laugh at that I think if it happened.

• Upvote 3

I thought there was a hint that she might be gay in her own film. There was a wistfulness about the goodbyes to her friend (can't remember her name) and a sense that she, her friend and her friend's daughter were like a family.

• 2 weeks later...

I've just seen that they are re-releasing it on the 28th June, with 7 minutes of post credit scenes and a tribute to Stan Lee. 

Fucking money grabbing pricks, its like releasing dlc for a game, except you need to buy the full game again. 

Fair enough, it's a free market and people aren't being forced to watch it again, but they're taking the piss a bit here. Looks like it'll end up topping Avatar after all. 

On 02/06/2019 at 10:47, Paul said:

I thought there was a hint that she might be gay in her own film. There was a wistfulness about the goodbyes to her friend (can't remember her name) and a sense that she, her friend and her friend's daughter were like a family.

Can remember wondering the same thing too, and won't be too surprised if that turns out to be the case in the next film I don't think.

1 hour ago, Aventus said:

I've just seen that they are re-releasing it on the 28th June, with 7 minutes of post credit scenes and a tribute to Stan Lee. 

Fucking money grabbing pricks, its like releasing dlc for a game, except you need to buy the full game again. 

Fair enough, it's a free market and people aren't being forced to watch it again, but they're taking the piss a bit here. Looks like it'll end up topping Avatar after all. 

Avatar also got a re-release with a bit of extra footage to get to the amount it has now, and the 3D/Imax ticket sales also helped it. So won't be too bothered here if it passes it eventually. It still might not make it though, Avatar didn't make a huge amount when it was re-released so this could be similar, it could end up close but still behind it.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

@Paul - fancy renaming this as a generic MCU discussion thread?

Wandavision, then (spoilers ahead):

1) Is Agatha the "big bad" or is there a malevolent force behind her?

2) Is Pietro the Quicksilver from the Fox X-Men universe being manipulated by Agatha or just an avatar?

3) Who is the 'Aerospace Engineer' we've been promised? Reed Richards, Beast, Doom?!

8 minutes ago, Karl_b said:

2) Is Pietro the Quicksilver from the Fox X-Men universe being manipulated by Agatha or just an avatar?

3) Who is the 'Aerospace Engineer' we've been promised? Reed Richards, Beast, Doom?!

1) A lot are thinking Mephisto will be the big bad. 

2) Could be a Macguffin or could be Mephisto. Lots of theories doing the rounds.

3) I read it could be Blue Marvel, I think Monica and him had a relationship in the comics.

• Upvote 1

• RedKnight changed the title to MCU Discussion Thread (Contains Spoilers)
28 minutes ago, Karl_b said:

Good idea. Renamed.

Took all of my resolve not to add a caveat saying that if you don't like superheroes or the MCU there's no need to come in here and say it. Your absence can say it for you.

• Upvote 2

WandaVision got itself a little backwards. Spent too long on the '60s-'90s sitcoms and not enough on the more recent types which would've been easier to mimic and, crucially, be funny. I suspect you could edit the show into a 2 hour movie and lose very little.

However, still enjoying it. From what little I know Agatha isn't always a villain for Wanda, it'd be huge to bring Mephisto into the MCU. The naming of the rabbit might be significant as Scratch is an old name for the devil.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, skend04 said:

1) A lot are thinking Mephisto will be the big bad. 

2) Could be a Macguffin or could be Mephisto. Lots of theories doing the rounds.

3) I read it could be Blue Marvel, I think Monica and him had a relationship in the comics.

I've seen some of the online chatter but I'm trying to avoid most of it. I have been digging out the Marvel (Comics) encyclopedia after some of the episodes to look up characters and references though. 

The Nexus reference is a potentially massive one, given it's importance in the multiverse concept.

5 minutes ago, Karl_b said:

I've seen some of the online chatter but I'm trying to avoid most of it. I have been digging out the Marvel (Comics) encyclopedia after some of the episodes to look up characters and references though. 

The Nexus reference is a potentially massive one, given it's importance in the multiverse concept.

Yeah that ad has possibly big repercussions for such a small section of the episode.

With Disney+ this is now the comics writ large. They can tell the length of story they want, when they want and the only obstacle is that they will have to acknowledge the ageing of characters. Though considering stasis hampers the comics it's probably not a bad thing.

• Upvote 1