You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Barcelona (A) Champions League 1/5/19

Bjornebye

5 minutes ago, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

The most gutting thing about last night wasn’t even the spawny Messi first goal after we’d dominated the second half and missed one or two gilt-edged chances, or the sort of free-kick from a genius you can’t ever legislate for.

It was when Mo hit the post. 3-1 and I would be close to 50/50 on us being able to do it. That moment was probably the most costly of all in it being more like a 99/1 job.

Not impossible, but not far off.

100%.

3 very good chances we could’ve scored from:

1. Mane’s one on one

2. Milner

3. Bobby/Mo open goal

7 hours ago, Red Shift said:

its the chances taken, not made. An away goal was on until the whistle blew; obviously there's a danger that a break out concedes another, but Barca only converted 3 chances all night. They had far more. that away goal became more important as time went on, and no, we never got it.

My only beef with Klopp tonight was not having faith in TAA. He is a massive part of our strike force, and Gomez was a wild card that failed.

An away goal was on all night, we should have got at least 3. Sometimes though you have to accept it's not your night, take your medicine and live to fight on in the second leg.

My main point/gripe was about going gung ho on that last corner. It may be in keeping with how Klopp wants us to play, and the last two years have been some of the best football I've seen, but that doesn't stop what we did on that corner from being ridiculously stupid.

At 3-0 I think we all believe we still have a fighters chance , 4-0 and it's finished.

Why didn't we go gung ho playing a crocked out Utd? If ever there was a team waiting to be smashed that was it. Last night seemed like the wrong time to go kamikaze , it could have ended up 5 nil. 

Barca aren't all that, and I still think there is a kick left in this tie. 

2 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Messi is absolutely fantastic and trying to discredit that brilliance is sour grapes. Sign of a great player is to seem to be having a quiet game and then pop up just when it matters,as he did. The one thing that struck me was just how tired we looked late in the game just before they made it 2-0,the exact opposite of how we've looked almost all season. I think questions can be asked regarding TAA being dropped for Gomez,who I think is a pretty average full back and Firmino not starting if on the bench. An away goal would really have helped but I think we just have too much of a mountain to climb at home,although I'd target their goalie,Ter Stegen, on crosses.

Never said he wasn't a fantastic player. 

1 hour ago, Dave D said:

I woke up today with this feeling
That better things are coming my way
And if the sunshine has a meaning
It's telling me not to let things get in my way

[Pre-Chorus]
When the rainy days are dying
Gotta keep on, keep on trying
All the bees and birds are flying (ahh ahh ahh)
Never let go, gotta hold on in
Non-stop 'til the break of dawn and
Keep movin' don't stop rockin' (ahh ahh ahh)

We should sing that before games instead of YNWA. 

11 hours ago, viRdjil said:

I genuinely wouldn’t shed a tear if someone did a career-ender on him in the second leg.

I am absolutely loving this new tough guy image mate. 

10 hours ago, No2 said:

You're a fucking cunt.

Careful now. 

3 hours ago, viRdjil said:

I woke up feeling gutted still this morning.

Channel this new energy. Get out there and end some cunt’s career today. A dickhead on the tube, a rude barmaid, anyone. Just snap their legs and deal with the consequences later. 

• Upvote 1

Ah well, football's a bitch. I thought we matched and maybe even bettered them in every department except finishing. While Suarez took his goal like the poacher he is, Virgil clearly stops tracking him. Second goal they got the break with the rebound falling to Messi in space and the third, well, you can only say what a fucking free kick that was.

McManaman insinuated alisson had too many players in the wall because Ter Stergen only had two in walls at old trafford. Yeah well he wasnt facing messi was he?

Seen a few people, well more than a few, complaining Trent should have played instead of Gomez. Couple of thing, Gomez didnt cost any goals last night. Trent was likely being kept fresh for Newcastle. People moan Jurgen doesnt use his squad yet when he does, its the wrong game, wrong player or both. Even if Trent had played and put more crosses in, unfortunately it was a night Sadio and Mo missed all the chances they were presented with. Shit happens irrespective of who plays and who doesnt.

Can we pull it around? Well, there's always hope with Liverpool but Im also a realist. Hope we win on the night and I think that's the best we'll get. Id be majorly surprised if we score 4 without reply.

I thought the ref's decision to stick the whistle in his gob for that foul on Sadio in the box and not blow was diabolical. And no, I dont think there was a 'hint' of offside before it.

Getting to 2 consecutive CL finals was always going to be a difficult ask, more so since we've also had a good tilt at the title this season. That is and always will be the priority for me until we get that particular monkey off our backs.

25 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

I am absolutely loving this new tough guy image mate. 

Careful now. 

Channel this new energy. Get out there and end some cunt’s career today. A dickhead on the tube, a rude barmaid, anyone. Just snap their legs and deal with the consequences later. 

Come at me No2!

Regards,

No1

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

His rolling around and feigning injury is widespread though,and occasionally our players aren't immune either. I'd rather have a cheeating winner or two an a bunch of gallant losers.

You ever watched El Classico? Genuinely I find those games unwatchable. 

3 hours ago, Section_31 said:

The Messi love-in last night was thoroughly bizarre. He scored and it was a good free kick and all the rest of it but it was hardly Marradona vs England. No talk at all of that embarrassing roly-poly shit he pulled on the touchline or his constant moaning. Fucking Waitrose Paolo Di Canio.

If the lad farts it's like 'oooh we're in the presence of farting greatness here Gary'.

It's basically a bunch of middle aged has been pundits that don't get invited to many gigs and seem grateful to have just been allowed to watch someone their flaky kids are into because of all the ott PR Barcelona have been able to peddle for so long. 

Zidane is still the best player I've seen. Messie has never been an underdog, never had to scrap, always been in arguably the best club side in the world,  a club with enough bank to go out every year and poach everyone's players purely to surround and augment him. It's telling that he's never reached the same heights internationally or ever wanted to test himself in another league or club.

What gets me is them describing him as this superhuman being without a trace of irony. Because that's what he literally is, pumped full of human growth hormone and Christ knows what else. He's not natural, he was created in a lab. He's fucking JC Denton, and his football career is the biggest cheat you'll see in any field of endeavour anywhere.

• Upvote 1

Down to shocking finishing last night , we were never going to stop them scoring at some point but if your big players up front don't do their jobs the outcome was hardly a shock. Never mind the second leg now it's our season on the line at Newcastle and a massive performance required.

1 hour ago, El Rojo said:

That Dembele miss at the end was hilariously bad.

And fair play to Alisson for out-tacticing Jurgen, if it was his own choice to not go up for the corner.

Salah and Milner's efforts were just as bad.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, J-V said:

From my point of view it was the constant feigning injury and trying to get players booked who play for a club he used to play for and who he supposedly 'loves'.   Shithouse behaviour and speaks volumes about his character.

It does. I wish we had that character in our side.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Section_31 said:

The Messi love-in last night was thoroughly bizarre. He scored and it was a good free kick and all the rest of it but it was hardly Marradona vs England. No talk at all of that embarrassing roly-poly shit he pulled on the touchline or his constant moaning. Fucking Waitrose Paolo Di Canio.

If the lad farts it's like 'oooh we're in the presence of farting greatness here Gary'.

It's basically a bunch of middle aged has been pundits that don't get invited to many gigs and seem grateful to have just been allowed to watch someone their flaky kids are into because of all the ott PR Barcelona have been able to peddle for so long. 

Zidane is still the best player I've seen. Messie has never been an underdog, never had to scrap, always been in arguably the best club side in the world,  a club with enough bank to go out every year and poach everyone's players purely to surround and augment him. It's telling that he's never reached the same heights internationally or ever wanted to test himself in another league or club.

Barcelona in general bring out the worst in modern football fandom to me. They're every 10-year-old kid's 'second team' - a generational concept I find bizarre anyway. Beloved of people who don't actually like football, but have grown up playing FIFA and think it's all about battering everyone five nil in every match because you've got all the best players. The type of people who'd start looking at their phone if their own team didn't score for half an hour and had set out its stall not to lose to a superior opponent. You know. Like most of actual football.

They should just put Barcelona in their own league and let them play against disabled sides ever week while their idiot international fans pay 200 quid to watch it and stand there wanking and taking selfies, then take their kid for a 100 pound shirt because the wife told him to because her mates' kids have all got theirs.

Even the Manc-tit, Tyler, made a point of saying he'd been quiet up until that rebound tap-in on 75 minutes.

Next thing you know, he gets a 10 on ESPN, for instance.

A 10?  He gets a 10 for a good free kick?

There’s a reason they’re doing anything they can to sell their boring as fuck league around the world including playing dead rubber league matches in America.  Any time you watch it near enough every single refereeing decision is slaughtered by any player within shouting distance of an official.  Every player rolls around feigning injury at every single opportunity including “he gets up and gets on with it” Messi. It’s the shite that turns people off.  It’s bled into the premier league but to nowhere near the extent that you see from these cunts.  It probably started with Madrid when Barca had a better team but they’re also fully fledged members now.  Their player goes down faking injury and we kick it out despite having possession on the half way line.  Coutinho kicks it out for a goal kick which they can press from our box.  It’s snide and not in the spirit of the game.

This idea that you would want Liverpool to “have some of that” is fucking embarrassing.  You can’t just have some of it.  It’s a way of life to these gobshites and I don’t know how I could watch that every week and still be into it.  The fact that nobody wants to buy their “product” abroad tells you everything.  They’re fucking cheats and arse holes about it.  The shit Suarez was pulling was disgusting especially for what the club did for him.  I’m with Ardja on it. Bring a load of the kids in and tell them to break as many legs as possible.  Teach the cunts a fucking lesson.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

Impossible to masturbate to this thread.

You’re joking aren’t you?! I’ve pulled the head off it during the last 6 pages 3 times this morning. Can’t wait to get home from work and get the hand cream out for the new material.

11 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Ridiculous that we kicked the ball out when they had a player 'injured'. There's being naive and being completely stupid. It's Barcelona, FFS.

I thought fair enough to kick the ball out - but i didn't like the way they humped it 60 yards out of touch behind our goal then then pressured the goal kick. It felt like a snide way to gain ground.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, The Guest said:

This idea that you would want Liverpool to “have some of that” is fucking embarrassing.  You can’t just have some of it.  It’s a way of life to these gobshites and I don’t know how I could watch that every week and still be into it.  The fact that nobody wants to buy their “product” abroad tells you everything.  They’re fucking cheats and arse holes about it.  The shit Suarez was pulling was disgusting especially for what the club did for him.  I’m with Ardja on it. Bring a load of the kids in and tell them to break as many legs as possible.  Teach the cunts a fucking lesson.

Embarrassing.