You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Barcelona (A) Champions League 1/5/19

Bjornebye

5 minutes ago, Jenson said:

As well as we played tonight I think Klopp is still naive when it comes to European football. He could do with learning a few things from Houllier or Rafa about stifling the shit out of teams on the road.

We have never lost a two-legged knock-out tie under Klopp.

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

Did Messi really "take the game to the next level"?

I feel like I'm in an alternate reality. 

The free kick was ace, on the replay it looks like it takes a deflection but I mean we know what he meant to do, I can accept that as world class. His first goal was just a lucky drop. Suarez misses a sitter and the ball rebounds perfectly to Messi. People are getting on VVD for it but if he takes him out there it's a pen anyway and the way that cunt ref was going probably a red to go along with it. At best he could've tracked the ball in the air and maybe put it wide with his head but again I'm 90% certain Messi hits the ground and we've just given away a pen in that scenario. For me Messi didn't take shit to the next level he just was in the right place at the right time on that goal.

Mo misses a sitter (arguably as there were men on the line but let's call it that) and the ball goes to one of theirs. Not quite exactly the same (cross bar, side post) but the small margins were on their side.

6 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Yeah, but he's still naive. Certainly shouldn't be winning the away games by attacking. Naive in the extreme. Doesn't he know that playing away he should employ defensive tactics. Naive as fuck. 

8 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

3 minutes ago, A_S said:

9-0 with the 10th still pending. He has no clue though, apparently. 

He's never won a European trophy either 

1 minute ago, liverpoolsno9 said:

Yeah, but he's still naive. Certainly shouldn't be winning the away games by attacking. Naive in the extreme. Doesn't he know that playing away he should employ defensive tactics. Naive as fuck. 

If getting caught on that break in the last minute of injury time from our corner, which should have made it 4-0, wasn't naive then I don't know what is 

5 minutes ago, Jenson said:

If getting caught on that break in the last minute of injury time from our corner, which should have made it 4-0, wasn't naive then I don't know what is 

OK then, he's a-possible-97-points-and-a-CL-semi-finally naive.

1 minute ago, liverpoolsno9 said:

Fuck off, you knee jerk twat. 

Go fuck yourself you absolute prick. I've seen us win absolutely everything there is to win and I've seen us lose in every final going. I don't do kneejerk.

Klopp is one of the best managers we've ever had but we were open as fuck in those last 20 minutes and it could have easily been 4-0 or worse.

3 minutes ago, Jenson said:

Go fuck yourself you absolute prick. I've seen us win absolutely everything there is to win and I've seen us lose in every final going. I don't do kneejerk.

Klopp is one of the best managers we've ever had but we were open as fuck in those last 20 minutes and it could have easily been 4-0 or worse.

And there you have it, your a spoilt twat. I've seen us win everything too (I'm 49) but I'm not a spoilt, entitled knob like yourself, It could have very easily finished 3-2 too. If your gonna play coulda, woulda, shoulda. 

14 minutes ago, Jenson said:

Could we perhaps just say that this is his style - pretty much has been all along in his managerial career - and he possibly isn't going to change that.

This season he has probably made the biggest-ever modification to his tactics, defensively, especially in the Premier League.

And although the statistics will say we scored 7 goals, we'd been pretty cagey in our previous two away outings in Munich and Porto.

Also, when we didn't have a shot on goal away to Napoli in the qualifiers, he got a bit of a bollocking the other way from some.

Seems at times he can't win (with supporters), in more ways than just snaring a European trophy.

• Upvote 1

Just now, liverpoolsno9 said:

And there you have it, your a spoilt twat. I've seen us win everything too (I'm 49) but I'm not a spoilt, entitled knob like yourself, It could have very easily finished 3-2 too. If your gonna play coulda, woulda, shoulda. 

Oh do fuck off. Spoilt yes, entitled no. 

At 3-0 I don't believe this tie is over, at 4-0 it's dead and buried. That last break away was bordering on suicide.

38 minutes ago, A_S said:

So Roberto Di Matteo is a better manager than Klopp?

Keep posting that just in case Chelsea read it and reappoint him.

I can't complain about us defensively this season given how many goals we've leaked previously. Just seems that we're not quite clinical enough in those 'moments' as Klopp puts it. I don't know if that's in the nature of the front three we go with and if we can improve?

They were lucky as fuck. We had them rocking and just needed a goal to make them go to pieces. Look at it this way, at least we know we have to go fucking mental from the first whistle.

That is actually just how we like it, so it makes no difference. We could have won 0-2 at Camp Nou and they did us 0-3 at our place. Just have to get goals and put these fuckers under the cosh, Anfield style. We can put 4 past them and if they score we do them with a last minute headed glory goal with Lord Virgil carrying us home. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jenson said:

its the chances taken, not made. An away goal was on until the whistle blew; obviously there's a danger that a break out concedes another, but Barca only converted 3 chances all night. They had far more. that away goal became more important as time went on, and no, we never got it.

My only beef with Klopp tonight was not having faith in TAA. He is a massive part of our strike force, and Gomez was a wild card that failed.

2 hours ago, Jenson said:

As well as we played tonight I think Klopp is still naive when it comes to European football. He could do with learning a few things from Houllier or Rafa about stifling the shit out of teams on the road.

The margins are too short at the top level. They have Messi, who while not at his unstoppable best tonight, still provided the end-product and he scares the shit out of the opposing side. On our end, we have two of the most dangerous attackers in the world but they are mortal. That was the difference. We are not made to "stifle" teams. He doesn't coach that way and probably won't ever. Many managers have won things without resorting to that. 

Klopp is a brilliant European manager and a brilliant league manager. He's had too many good league and knockout competition campaigns to say anything different. It's absolute nonsense to call him naive. Is he supposed to shut up shop at 0-3 with his tail between his legs? No, he was never going to tell his team to do that.

His only issue seems to be one-off games where circumstances sometimes don't go his way. Maybe there is too much chaos and not enough control. Maybe this is detrimental to the luck of his side. Maybe when elite opposing managers have the time to solely analyse him, they figure him out. Who knows. 

I had my meltdown earlier (since we lost our 7-point lead to City) than most of you guys so this defeat doesn't hurt as much as it should. So maybe that's why while I think it's extremely difficult, it's far from impossible to turn the tie around at Anfield next week. We were a match for them all through out this match, no reason why we can't batter them in the 2nd leg.