You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Barcelona (A) Champions League 1/5/19

Bjornebye

7 minutes ago, niallers said:

Hard not to argue with this. I know we're angry and don't want to be knee jerk, but it's bang on for me.

However, we had plenty of chances that fell to guys who can all finish. We should've scored at least 2. That tempers the argument a tad

I think being able to rest players up there and not see the quality fall off a cliff is needed.

To be able to freshen it/change it and still carry real threat and most importantly to not have to shoehorn players into positions they simply can't perform in.

Look at players we shoehorn into the 3 when one is out.

Origi when he comes in is asked to play wide left of a three - he is ineffective at it.

Sturridge - well let's not even waste time discussing what is wrong there.

Lallana - see above.

Needs sorting.

4 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

At least we’re not complaining about bad refereeing decisions - thought he had a good game tonight overall. 

Am I missing some sarcasm here? He was fucking atrocious I was wondering what they had to do to get a card. The Rakitic foul that took out Keita was minimum yellow, Busquets on Fabinho just before half time and a couple of others - nailed on yellows. Aldo and McAteer just making the exact same comments on LFCTV.

• Upvote 1

It's obviously exhilarating to watch but we need Jurgen to ensure we are not so naive next season.

1-0 would have been a decent result to settle for at 70 minutes , but we were desperately trying to go forward en-masse and one stray pass was stranding our full backs & Fabinho too far forward. 

It was even more noticeable in the Chelsea game where we were 2-0 up and kept playing like the Harlem Globetrotters.

1 minute ago, El Rojo said:

Hello darkness my old friend 

I've been fully for fucking off the FA Cup and League Cup every season for a greater chance at the league or Champions League, but these near misses are getting excruciating.

Fully considering a League Cup in exchange for losing in the knockout stage at this point. 

4 minutes ago, sir roger said:

It's obviously exhilarating to watch but we need Jurgen to ensure we are not so naive next season.

1-0 would have been a decent result to settle for at 70 minutes , but we were desperately trying to go forward en-masse and one stray pass was stranding our full backs & Fabinho too far forward. 

It was even more noticeable in the Chelsea game where we were 2-0 up and kept playing like the Harlem Globetrotters.

However if we'd have taken one of the glaring chances you wouldn't be saying that.

Klopp fucked up with Gomez at right back and  Gini advanced.  We play the way we play no point sitting back letting them cut through us on the edge of our area.

17 minutes ago, an tha said:

When we had them largely penned in for half an hour in 2nd half I do wonder how much of a difference TAA's delivery and ability to make things happen around the box might have made a difference.

Agreed.

11 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Mane, Milner and Salah. Three clear-cut chances. Can’t complain too much when we let those go.

At least we’re not complaining about bad refereeing decisions - thought he had a good game tonight overall. 

What? I thought we were on the wrong side of most of his calls. The VVD handball being the only decision that went for us. Vidal should have had about 3 yellows, and they constantly whined and moaned (and got their way), winning countless freekicks while our claims were similarly ignored. 

Not that I'm especially surprised, but the ref was definitely influenced by the crowd (and the occasion). If he gives the penalty to Mane, VAR doesn't overturn it, that's for sure. The counter-attacks we had were always stopped before we got going due to a sly foul (that went unpunished). We need to be more snide ourselves in these situations, especially when stopping counters ourselves. Can't believe no-one protested about the position of the free-kick that Messi scored from, it was about 10 yards further forward from where he was stopped. 

Rant over.

We've made it extremely difficul for ourselves, mostly because of sloppy finishing. At 3-1 I would be very positive, now it's just an outside chance.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Didn't deserve that but Messi is from a different planet, and we're very lucky we're not 4 down after that break from our corner. Naive doesn't even come close to describing what that was.

Not taking the chances we had is unforgivable at this level. Mane's wasn't the easiest but Milner and especially fucking Salah have to score.

Architects of our own downfall I'm afraid.