You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Barcelona (A) Champions League 1/5/19

Bjornebye

17 minutes ago, Strontium Dog said:

I'm just sick of noble failure and moral victories. That might be good enough for some fans, but not me.

I am grateful to have gone from the brink of administration to a CL final and CL semi final back to back and challenging for the title.

Losing is not fun. But its better to compete for the trophies and lose than not to compete at all.

• Upvote 7

3 minutes ago, Onkalo said:

Imagine Leicester manage to get a draw out of city, what a big decision Klopp would have for his team selection on Tuesday. 

Imagine any circumstances in which Klopp would ever select tonight's team when it matters again.

Fuck me...

1 minute ago, Herp McDerp said:

Worst part about this defeat is that by this weekend I'll have convinced myself we have a chance at Anfield next week. 

Isn’t that the beauty of the sport though? I’m halfway there already. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Herp McDerp said:

Worst part about this defeat is that by this weekend I'll have convinced myself we have a chance at Anfield next week. 

We really don’t. 

I have spunked a fortune on tickets. Gutted. 

Tonight showed that while we are on the cusp of being a really outstanding team, we are that level below right now. The next level is being able to go to clubs like Barca or City and win (i know we beat city last year) on a regular basis or even get the solid 0-0. Our 70s and 80s teams had that ability. They also had plenty of snide in the team. It wasn't just Smithy and Souey who did, but even players like Kenny and Ronnie Whelan who weren't noticeably dirty. You need that bit of cynicism and our lads seem a little too nice. The story from Steve McMahon about how he and Whelan used to take turns sorting out the so called guvnors on the other teams sums it up. I like Hendo as a lad and he's a good player, but winning teams normally have tough men as their captain and he isn't that.

The league isn't over. If we can get through Newcastle with three points, we take it to the final day and just hope city have one bad day in two. They will eventually have one so hopefully this season rather than next. They are a machine, but there is hope yet.

Mo is a really good player but he's not world class imo. He misses chances like that too often. Mane is world class and Bobby isn't too far off it. We simply can't let Sadio go and while I wouldn't like Mo to leave, if we sold him and got one or two of the Ajax lads, it mightn't be the maddest thing we do. We sold Coutinho and became a better team with Allison and Virgil.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Elite said:

This has got to be the most frustrating season ever. We've had the best season in decades but yet again we come away with fuck all. The worrying part is I doubt we'll be able to perform to this level again.

I know mate and it fucking hurts. I've put all my emotions into us winning the league and after tonight am fucking devastated. Not going to sleep well tonight me.  

Feels like we are fucking cursed.

• Upvote 1

Tough to take that. Much the better team for most of the game but not taking gilt edge chances when they come along against a top quality side is always asking for trouble. 

Slim chance of going through now and they can rest all of their players over the weekend and we have to go full tilt against Newcastle. A good win their might be just what the players need, get confidence back, some belief and you never know... You just never know. 

I’m back for the game on Tuesday and tonight won’t mean I won’t be willing us on and singing my heart out at Anfield, a win is something we can get, qualification stuff of dreams. 

The leicester game game is still a wild card.

• Upvote 1

Weird game that.

We were very much going toe to toe with them for the most part, and only looked overrun in the last few minutes when we were chasing for a consolation away goal. The scoreline certainly didn't reflect the performance but the big difference was that Barcelona were clinical and we weren't.

Mane blazed over the bar in the first half. Milner had one effort saved by Ter Stegen in the second and should have done a lot better moments later, only to place his shot right at the German. Salah managed to hit the post late on when it seemed easier to score.

We were unfortunate to lose Keita to injury early on as he was looking pretty bright and not overawed by the occasion at all. We'd already had one tactical re-jig to start the game with Wijnaldum playing the Firmino role. Game as he was, it didn't suit him and he was too often peripheral. With Henderson now on, it looked like we went with 2 in midfield with the captain alongside Fabinho, with Milner given licence to roam. He was popping up everywhere.

About the goals. The first one owed to good movement (although in the build-up, Van Dijk was ballwatching a bit too much even as the pass was played out wide) and a deft touch to finish by Suarez, who was in narky bastard mode all night. The second was good fortune as the ball broke kindly to Messi. The third was just sublime dead-ball ability from the best player on the planet.

I think the scoreline flattered Barcelona and it looks as though our race is run in this year's competition. But the return leg is at Anfield and stranger things have happened. Whatever happens, don't let it peter out into a damp squib.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Grinch said:

Don't think it was a bad performance but we failed to take our chances crucially. 

Absolutely.

And its not over. Sure the odds are stacked against us, but it isnt over. We need the crowd to turn up though.

We played well for most of the second half. Unlucky not to score at least one goal with all the chances we had.

Gini was lost upfront and Gomez had a poor game.

I can see us score goals against these at anfield the problem is keeping them out. 

Suarez and Messi were quality for them tonight. 

Just now, LFC 5 Times said:

I’m absolutely broken after that. We can’t catch a fucking break. How do we come back from this season 

Knowing that we're fucking great and we're ace to watch?