You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Vertigo

Oh Buoy

Anyone struggle with this?

Woke up yesterday completely fine, stood up and just couldn't get my balance. Felt like being drunk with everything making you dizzy and constantly feeling like you're going to throw up.

Ended up going to the out of hours Drs last night to get some antisickness tabs so I could manage the flight ttoday It's absolutely horrendous and the first time I've ever experienced it. Wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Laying down seems to make me feel fine but running out of places other than the floor to lay down in a busy airport.

Yeah. Started after a recent bout of flu. It's not so bad now but if I look up quickly or move around in bed then I get dizzy. It is apparently because of liquid in my ear.

There are various exercises you can do to help - Epley Maneuver and Brandt-Daroff exercise. They have helped me although I still have the occassional moment.

I get it. Its a horrible thing.

I am not medically qualified but yours sounds like labrynthitis - cos it came on all sudden.

I had this a couple of years ago. it was bad for a couple of days then started to clear up. Took a while, like.

Had it off and on for years now, it’s like when you lie down horribly arseholed and the room swims. Sometimes get it in patches each day, sometimes non-stop. Been bed-ridden with it a few times, and once got out my car outside an ex’s work to pick her up, next thing I knew was lying on my side with everyone she works with staring out the window at me.

Its been terrible lately so eventually went the doctors about it. Lame though it sounds, may be down to the current pollen bomb if you’ve had any other extreme hay-fever symptoms, as allergic reactions can affect the vestibular system...congestion and swelling behind the ear drums and/or blocked eustachian tubes often causing dizziness and nausea. 

That’s what mine’s been attributed to this time. Prescribed maximal anti-histamine and steam baths, which quickly coincided with it clearing after weeks. I’ve been hammering the olbas oil as well.

Previous instances have been put down to rare side effects of a particular IV drug and compressed disks in the neck due to persistent heavy coughing. Drug change for the former, osteopath for the latter.

Its. A. Cunt. Genuinely disabling.

For the last couple of years I've been getting something like a panic attack when I go to bed. Struggle like fuck to get to sleep and then just have thoughts of falling off a balcony or a building. Really freaks me out and I can barely move with terror for about 10 minutes. Its horrible. 

A lad I worked with in Manchester a year or so ago had it, was off work for about 2 weeks absolutely house bound. I'd never really heard of it until then but our boss had also had it so completely understood. Frightening the stuff the mind can do to us. 

• 2 months later...

Got a severe attack this morning. We had a new tumble dryer delivered to the house and i was crouched down on my back in a recess in the kitchen trying to unscrew a piece of timber that was obstructing the fitting of said dryer when i lifted my head to say something to the mrs when it hit me. She had to help me to bed where i spent the next 5 hours motionless (apart from having to spew into a bowl 3 times) to stop the room from spinning. Over the worst now thankfully.

I had it a couple of times a few years ago but it was in middle of the night and my balance would be affected for a few hours after i got up but today was scary. 

• Upvote 2

On 23/04/2019 at 10:19, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

Had it off and on for years now, it’s like when you lie down horribly arseholed and the room swims. Sometimes get it in patches each day, sometimes non-stop. Been bed-ridden with it a few times, and once got out my car outside an ex’s work to pick her up, next thing I knew was lying on my side with everyone she works with staring out the window at me.

Its been terrible lately so eventually went the doctors about it. Lame though it sounds, may be down to the current pollen bomb if you’ve had any other extreme hay-fever symptoms, as allergic reactions can affect the vestibular system...congestion and swelling behind the ear drums and/or blocked eustachian tubes often causing dizziness and nausea. 

That’s what mine’s been attributed to this time. Prescribed maximal anti-histamine and steam baths, which quickly coincided with it clearing after weeks. I’ve been hammering the olbas oil as well.

Previous instances have been put down to rare side effects of a particular IV drug and compressed disks in the neck due to persistent heavy coughing. Drug change for the former, osteopath for the latter.

Its. A. Cunt. Genuinely disabling.

Ah the bit in bold makes sense. I've had severe hayfever last few weeks. Been on the anti histamines but might get some nasal spray. I have a flight on Wednesday as well. Bastard

16 minutes ago, KMD7 said:

Got a severe attack this morning. We had a new tumble dryer delivered to the house and i was crouched down on my back in a recess in the kitchen trying to unscrew a piece of timber that was obstructing the fitting of said dryer when i lifted my head to say something to the mrs when it hit me. She had to help me to bed where i spent the next 5 hours motionless (apart from having to spew into a bowl 3 times) to stop the room from spinning. Over the worst now thankfully.

I had it a couple of times a few years ago but it was in middle of the night and my balance would be affected for a few hours after i got up but today was scary. 

Just reading that knocks me a bit.

It's one of those things what until you experience it it just sounds like a bad hangover but in reality it's like someones hijacking your body.

Hope it clears off soon fella. If you pop to the GP they can give you this medication that you put under your lip and allows you to move without vomiting.

Also keep your blood sugar up. I'm not sure that helped me much but the docs kept telling me to do that.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Six Buoys said:

Just reading that knocks me a bit.

It's one of those things what until you experience it it just sounds like a bad hangover but in reality it's like someones hijacking your body.

Hope it clears off soon fella. If you pop to the GP they can give you this medication that you put under your lip and allows you to move without vomiting.

Also keep your blood sugar up. I'm not sure that helped me much but the docs kept telling me to do that.

Cheers mate. Not sure i can get to one in time before i go away on Wednesday but if it continues I'll definitely check it out.

Yeah it's like having the worst whitey you can experience without the initial high is the closest i can compare it too, and even that doesnt do it justice

A friend of mine(he was retirement age when he had issues) had a sudden attack of it a few years back. Really knocked him out for weeks. He later found he had heart issues. I'll be catching up with him in about 10 days so if there's anything you want to know I'll try and ask him

2 hours ago, KMD7 said:

Used to know a load of Spanish crusty Den Haag squatters that aimed for this on a nightly basis. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, KMD7 said:

Cheers mate. Not sure i can get to one in time before i go away on Wednesday but if it continues I'll definitely check it out.

Yeah it's like having the worst whitey you can experience without the initial high is the closest i can compare it too, and even that doesnt do it justice

I had it the day before we were due to fly at 5am. Didn't think I'd even be able to get to my car never mind manage the airport.

They kick in within about 20 minutes. You'll feel mildly better but you'll be able to move without throwing up.

Just go to your GP and say you want the tablets you put under your lip. They somewhat knew what I meant when I did it.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

A friend of mine(he was retirement age when he had issues) had a sudden attack of it a few years back. Really knocked him out for weeks. He later found he had heart issues. I'll be catching up with him in about 10 days so if there's anything you want to know I'll try and ask him

Cheers mate. I'm due a full body check soon in relation to my kidneys so If anything is there they'll find it.  

2 minutes ago, KMD7 said:

Cheers mate. I'm due a full body check soon in relation to my kidneys so If anything is there they'll find it.  

Yeah they catch anything

I'm not sure it was related, but can ask him if you think of anything. Justsemd a PM

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Six Buoys said:

I had it the day before we were due to fly at 5am. Didn't think I'd even be able to get to my car never mind manage the airport.

They kick in within about 20 minutes. You'll feel mildly better but you'll be able to move without throwing up.

Just go to your GP and say you want the tablets you put under your lip. They somewhat knew what I meant when I did it.

Prochlorperazine are tablets I use occasionally and they seem to work quite well when dizziness and nausea strike out of the blue.

18 hours ago, Six Buoys said:

Went to my chemist today and she still has a prescription for me on file for when i had an attack before. (Didn't avail of them then) am going in tomorrow to collect them.