You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Warnock: I don't think Salah could get much higher off the diving board

tlw content

They say death and taxes are the two certainties in life. But you can add a third option, a Neil Warnock whinge session after his team tastes defeat.

The veteran Cardiff manager was on his soapbox once again after Liverpool's 2-0 victory against the Welsh outfit, protesting the awarding of a Mo Salah penalty which occurred when Cardiff captain Sean Morrison fouled the Egyptian inside the area with nine minutes remaining.

The spot kick was expertly dispatched by substitute James Milner sealing another vital three points for the Reds, after Gini Wijnaldum had earlier put Liverpool in front with a fine first-time strike converting from a low Trent Alexander-Arnold corner.

The Liverpool Echo reported Warnock as saying:

"I thought it was a soft one. We gave him an opportunity, didn’t we? He’s got his arms around him and everything.

"I think the end of it was a 9.9 Tom Daley job. I don’t think he could have got much higher off the diving board at the end of it. But I’m sure you’ll be saying Warnock is a moaning so and so again. 

"I think just after half time, the tug on Morrison’s shirt which should have been spotted when, Graeme Souness says by the letter of the law it should be a penalty because it stops him making a clear header at goal.

"But nothing much said about that.  We’ve not had any of those. He’s been pulled from pillar to post has Morrison and we’ve not had a penalty so we’re not going to start getting them getting now.

"They said on TV that the sun was really bright and got in the linesman’s eyes.”

Warnock also denied claims from the Liverpool camp that the pitch was exceedingly dry which Jurgen Klopp and certain squad members felt was a deliberate ploy to put the Reds off their quick passing game.

“No, it wasn’t. It was watered before the game so I don’t understand.
Unless the groundsman thought there was a hosepipe ban like the old days but as far as I know it was watered.”

However, Warnock struck a completely different tone when questioned about the Liverpool side as a whole.

193101517.jpg.gallery.jpg

“I think Jurgen should do a job swap with me. They’re doing so well that I could have a go and he comes down here and see how he gets on.

"They’ve done really well. We wanted to give them a game, attack them and not just sit back. 

"They are a good side, aren’t they? There’s not a weakness in their team or even the bench.

"They’ve got such a wonderful attitude. I used to watch Rush and Dalglish. The front three are great but they work their socks off for the team as well.

"We should be really proud to have these two teams at the top of the league - thank God we haven’t got to play them again!

Confused after all that?  You aren't the only one.

There is only one Neil Warnock.

View full article

The reality is Mo was one of the most honest players we have seen for the first season and a half of his time with us. He tried very hard to stand up when kicked and never got a free kick or pen for his troubles.

Someone appears to have suggested you need to fall over to get the decision and, for the last few months, he has done just that.

He is not diving, he is exaggerating the contact to get the decision. If referees gave the foul without the falling over it would not happen. Still a foul, still a pen.

• Upvote 1

In the same way the media enjoys Klopp's passion,his honesty and the way he views the game they also love Warnock,his antithesis.

I've always wondered how these useless old British managers,Hodgson is another,are never at fault for the multitude of disasters they preside over. The media focus on these fellas and hardly ever mention the endless relegations,sackings and general ineptitude of them and their ilk. I now enjoy all those decisions that go against Warnock's teams just to watch him endlessly make a fool of himself.

• Upvote 1

Everyone knows you have to hit the ground to win a penalty. Jenas on MOTD said as much.

Erikson was pulled back in the City game just before shooting, stayed on his feet, and hit a shit shot that was saved. If he'd hit the ground, it was a stonewall pelanty!

• Upvote 1

Warnock is a tiresome old fart. Sick to death of the media lauding him for his passion and straight talking. He's fucking thick , never achieved anything in decades of stealing a wage wandering about from one basket case club to the next with his trademark tactic of blaming officials and opposition players and managers for cheating him out of his just deserts . Don't get me started on his politics...  Cunt 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Honestly, I thought his post match interview was alright. He was smiling, said we were great, and was pretty jovial in his little moan.

I'm no fan of Colin, but I think this seems worse in print.

Agreed. “I think the end of it was a 9.9 Tom Daley job. I don’t think he could have got much higher off the diving board at the end of it.” would sound alright if delivered with a nice jovial smile.

I'd like to be as charitable but fuck him.  He's basically saying a diving foreigner cheated him out of the points, in the nicest way possible.  Well, there isn't a nice way to say it so get fucked.  These English managers have no shame, it's NEVER their fault.  Their post match interviews consist of waffle like this and "ooh, wouldn't it be great if I had Jurgen's squad and he had mine" in order to deflect attention from their own inadequacies.   You know what, Colin?  Even if you had all of our players and we had yours, we'd still finish above you because our manager isn't a useless fucking cunt.

The only British managers I have time for are Eddie Howe and Brendan Rodgers.  Even Solskjaer had the good grace to admit that his team weren't good enough and apologised to the fans.  You never get that from these LMA shitehawks.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

Agreed. “I think the end of it was a 9.9 Tom Daley job. I don’t think he could have got much higher off the diving board at the end of it.” would sound alright if delivered with a nice jovial smile.

Please tell me your opinion of Harry Winks is similarly sarcastic.

• Upvote 1