You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sri Lanka Bombings

AngryOfTuebrook

Just seems to be never-ending for them, too.

Was in Colombo in 2008 and they’d just had bombings at the train station among others. As a result there was a strained, tense atmosphere and as you were getting in and out of major travel depots and that you were just far more on edge than normal.

Simply can’t imagine that short unsettling experience becoming anything like a regular way of life, let alone what the poor fuckers directly affected by this today are going through.

6 minutes ago, SasaS said:

But this was apparently totally out of the blue for Sri Lanka, was there any organized terrorism against the Christian religious minority before? Who they say is behind the attacks?

From what I have read, no one has claimed responsibility for the bombings yet. 

13 minutes ago, SasaS said:

But this was apparently totally out of the blue for Sri Lanka, was there any organized terrorism against the Christian religious minority before? Who they say is behind the attacks?

Yeah it is a bit weird, you sort of assume that it’s going to be Buddhists (Sinhalese) versus Hindu’s (Tamils) in Sri Lanka, as that’s the historical argie bargie.

There’s a fair few Christian Sri Lankan immigrants down here though - mostly older first, or second generation, so there must have been some stuff 50 years or so ago. I’m pretty ignorant of what.

As far as I remember Tamils vs. Sinhalese was more ethnic ( guess who cooked it up initially) than religious, this lookes like international terrorism choosing an easy target in Sri Lankan Christians, so wouldn't be suprised its related to the New Zealand attacks. 

8 minutes ago, SasaS said:

As far as I remember Tamils vs. Sinhalese was more ethnic ( guess who cooked it up initially) than religious, this lookes like international terrorism choosing an easy target in Sri Lankan Christians, so wouldn't be suprised its related to the New Zealand attacks. 

It’s pretty a far-fetched theory that bunch of far-right Aussie bogans could orchestrate this attack IMO.

4 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Even as an atheist, I can't help thinking that there's something particularly vile about attacking people at prayer.

Don't think you need the word "Even" at the start of that sentence. Atheists are about the only group of people on the planet who would never do something like this.