You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sri Lanka Bombings

AngryOfTuebrook

Thank fuck. Although I have to admit when I read 'the bitch' I automatically assumed it was my ex and was hoping she was in Sri Lanka. 

Its not my fault. 

My ex ex not you Leah who I know is reading these posts, you're cool.  

• Upvote 2

This is Muslims returning from the Middle East.  They have been under the cosh a bit from the Sinhalese and Tamils in particular, with the Sinhalese nationalists agitating against the Muslims in the same way that there have been issues with Jews in other countries.  

Fucking awful news.  

That rooftop shot is from the hotel next to mine, which was next to the Shangri La which got bombed and is in the middle of where the other bombs went off.

I was only in Sri Lanka for two weeks but it was genuinely two of my favourite weeks I’ve spent in Asia, the people melted my stone cold heart with their generosity and friendliness and it’s a place I will definitely go back to. 

What the fuck is wrong with people?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

The video they've released today of the bomber casually strolling into the church with his explosive filled backpack is chilling. 

The way he's so matter of fact about it, just ambling into the church, with the knowledge that he's about to end his own life and the lives of many others. Yet he doesn't seem panicked, anxious or stressed. Horrible to watch, knowing what comes next. But also shows the strength of the ideological brainwashing and grooming that these useful idiots are subjected to, that they can just do something with such damaging consequences with such a level of nonchalance. 

1 hour ago, Nelly-Torres said:

The video they've released today of the bomber casually strolling into the church with his explosive filled backpack is chilling. 

The way he's so matter of fact about it, just ambling into the church, with the knowledge that he's about to end his own life and the lives of many others. Yet he doesn't seem panicked, anxious or stressed. Horrible to watch, knowing what comes next. But also shows the strength of the ideological brainwashing and grooming that these useful idiots are subjected to, that they can just do something with such damaging consequences with such a level of nonchalance. 

He’s going to heaven, why should he be worried?  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Nelly-Torres said:

But also shows the strength of the ideological brainwashing and grooming that these useful idiots are subjected to, that they can just do something with such damaging consequences with such a level of nonchalance. 

I find terms like "ideological brainwashing" and "useful idiots" unhelpful in these matters.  I don't recall the New Zealand mosque attackers described in these terms (maybe they were, I don't know).  

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

The Prime Minister has resigned.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-61381536

Unfortunately, he sent his resignation letter to his brother, the President, and the cabinet is made up in large part of their brothers, nephews, etc.

But hopefully a first step in getting a competent government in place.

In other regional news, Ferdinand "Bongbong" Marcos Jr looks to be a shoe-in in the Philippines. 

That's going to work out well for them, I'm sure.