You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Getting Old

Bjornebye

5 minutes ago, Mook said:

That's me been for an eye test & had to buy a pair of reading glasses, this is a couple of months after having to start shaving my head due to going bald.

Being 42 is shite.

I bottled getting glasses a few months back.

Was doing the test, is this lens better or worse than the last, blah, blah.

I was like "this one is slightly better, this one slightly worse".

Then she put lenses in and was like "what about these?".

Fuck me! It was like going from black and white moving images to an 8K HDR OLED! Incredible difference.

So I said "pretty much the same as the last".

No glasses for me!

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Lario said:

I bottled getting glasses a few months back.

Was doing the test, is this lens better or worse than the last, blah, blah.

I was like "this one is slightly better, this one slightly worse".

Then she put lenses in and was like "what about these?".

Fuck me! It was like going from black and white moving images to an 8K HDR OLED! Incredible difference.

So I said "pretty much the same as the last".

No glasses for me!

Ha ha, superb.

I probably wouldn't have gone but I've been struggling to read things on my work laptop so it was time to bite the bullet.

I started back at football a few months ago and have been horrified at the acute loss of pace and stamina compared to even 5 years ago. Used to absolutely fly past people but now have bona fide, ancient, fat people waltzing past me. Proper disheartening. Feel like I’m going to die after the warm up stretches and gentle jog round the pitch before the actual game even starts.

And I’ve gone fucking soft, the thought of falling over or going in a 50/50 brings genuine terror. I’m 40.

• Upvote 2

I’d hold off on the glasses until you really need them.  Once you start wearing them regularly the eyesight goes downhill fast.

Then again, I was also looking at lcd screens for 12 hours a night, so….I’m fucked these days without them.  Have to get the missus to read menus for me when we go out.

Also seem to spend half my time moaning about light switches, electric, oil and everything else my dad did when I was younger.

10 minutes ago, Geoff Woade said:

I started back at football a few months ago and have been horrified at the acute loss of pace and stamina compared to even 5 years ago. Used to absolutely fly past people but now have bona fide, ancient, fat people waltzing past me. Proper disheartening. Feel like I’m going to die after the warm up stretches and gentle jog round the pitch before the actual game even starts.

And I’ve gone fucking soft, the thought of falling over or going in a 50/50 brings genuine terror. I’m 40.

You’re unfit. You’ve still got choices. Mook, on the other hand…

Me at 18: Jumping down flights of stairs on skateboards, knowing I had no chance of landing it, and landing on my face = being sore for half an hour

Me at 39: Stubbing my toe = knowing it's an ailment I'll carry for the rest of my life.

• Upvote 6

3 hours ago, Geoff Woade said:

I'm 34, played 60 minutes of 11 a side football on Saturday for the first time in 2 years. I felt like I'd been hit by a car when I got up on Sunday! Had to slither out of bed like a snake and write the hole of Sunday of as a total non event of a day. Was still struggling to walk properly on Monday.

One of mates is a few years older than me and plays in the Veterans league. He asked me if I wanted to join when I turn 35, and I laughed it off thinking I'm not ready to drop to that sort of level yet, but I think he may be right, that's about all I'm good for now.

In my head I still think I'm about 27/28! 

The only positive I can take is that it's made me determined to get fit again.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

I'm 34, played 60 minutes of 11 a side football on Saturday for the first time in 2 years. I felt like I'd been hit by a car when I got up on Sunday! Had to slither out of bed like a snake and write the hole of Sunday of as a total non event of a day. Was still struggling to walk properly on Monday.

One of mates is a few years older than me and plays in the Veterans league. He asked me if I wanted to join when I turn 35, and I laughed it off thinking I'm not ready to drop to that sort of level yet, but I think he may be right, that's about all I'm good for now.

It’s a joke, the team I play on is decent enough standard and I used to think I was good but then a genuine pro came down to train with us once his season had ended and watching him drove home how bad the situation had got.

32 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

I'm 35 and knowing that James Milner is about four months older than me reminds me I have no fucking excuses. 

• Upvote 1

When looking to book foreign holidays, you head for the Adults Only hotels to avoid loud noise and screaming kids (on the kids front, I also want to avoid dirty little bastards spitting in the pool like the unruly little Irish twats were on my 2019 holiday in Fuerteventura).

Not sure if it's because I'm over 40 or just miserable. I suspect it's both.

I've got vertigo. That shit fucks you up. I'm pissed with a sober mind. 3 days of constantly feeling like I'm out at sea.

I went to a walk in centre the nurse said your blood pressure is very high youre going to have to go to A&E so I go to A&E for 4 hours to be told your blood pressure isn't that high I don't know why the walk in centre sent you, but you need to chill out or you'll increase hyper tension I said I never went to the doctors because of my blood pressure if I'm hypertense its because I've been sent to A&E, I went initially because I'm constantly dizzy, he said go to your GP.

He did ask me if I take steroids though I said no as I kissed my bicep and followed my pointing finger to the exit.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I've got vertigo. That shit fucks you up. I'm pissed with a sober mind. 3 days of constantly feeling like I'm out at sea.

I went to a walk in centre the nurse said your blood pressure is very high youre going to have to go to A&E so I go to A&E for 4 hours to be told your blood pressure isn't that high I don't know why the walk in centre sent you, but you need to chill out or you'll increase hyper tension I said I never went to the doctors because of my blood pressure if I'm hypertense its because I've been sent to A&E, I went initially because I'm constantly dizzy, he said go to your GP.

He did ask me if I take steroids though I said no as I kissed my bicep and followed my pointing finger to the exit.

Prochlorperazine(Stemetil) should help with the Vertigo. I get it from time to time.

16 minutes ago, Waitak said:

Specsavers do really thorough testing now for not much extra, it's well worth it as they can monitor any issues on a year by year basis.

26 minutes ago, Waitak said:

Maybe increasing your font size might help…

• Upvote 3

18 hours ago, Grinch said:

I’d hold off on the glasses until you really need them.  Once you start wearing them regularly the eyesight goes downhill fast.

Then again, I was also looking at lcd screens for 12 hours a night, so….I’m fucked these days without them.  Have to get the missus to read menus for me when we go out.

Also seem to spend half my time moaning about light switches, electric, oil and everything else my dad did when I was younger.

Is this a thing though?

Is it just that once your eyes start to go they go whether you’re wearing glasses or not?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Champ said:

Is this a thing though?

Is it just that once your eyes start to go they go whether you’re wearing glasses or not?

All I know is I was supposed to be wearing reading glasses from a child.  As soon as I started wearing them in my 30s, my eyesight deteriorated to the point where I absolutely needed them 24/7, pretty much within months.

5 minutes ago, Grinch said:

All I know is I was supposed to be wearing reading glasses from a child.  As soon as I started wearing them in my 30s, my eyesight deteriorated to the point where I absolutely needed them 24/7, pretty much within months.

Why did you need to wear a child’s reading glasses, why not wear your own? Poor child. 

• Upvote 1