You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Getting Old

Bjornebye

7 hours ago, arthur friedenreich said:

Start with a pseudo-scientific postulation, support it with an aphorism?

i’m with Voltaire, when it comes to common sense.

I’m not saying what you posted doesn’t contain some witness to the truth, as we know it, I am stating it is expressed as hyperbole.

And I’m saying it’s common sense and the basis for a healthy life. All advice worth listening to suggests moderation of what I’d term ‘toxins’ pretty much to avoid overloading your system. 

A lot lot of the other stuff is fairly accepted as fact although expressed by myself as rough science considering I’m not an expert like you, 

I thought I was invincible until the last year or so. I've now got an herniated disc and a bulging disc both in my lower back which have given loads of grief. 

So now instead of playing sports/running/weights, I'm doing girly shit like pilates and Yoga in classes full of women  which doesn't sound too bad except most of the women are touching 60.

7 minutes ago, Elite said:

I thought I was invincible until the last year or so. I've now got an herniated disc and a bulging disc both in my lower back which have given loads of grief. 

So now instead of playing sports/running/weights, I'm doing girly shit like pilates and Yoga in classes full of women  which doesn't sound too bad except most of the women are touching 60.

GILFs.

2 hours ago, Elite said:

Nothing up with a bit of Pilates or yoga, join a better gym,  Virgin gyms cost a bundle, but worth it.

• 1 month later...

I've never been great with heights but have always gone on the big rides at theme parks, I've been on those big bungee balls that catapult you and even did a reverse bungee harness thing in Greece which was still very high but as I'm getting older I'm nervous as fuck about heights and wouldnt go on the same stuff I did when I was younger.

I'm even anxious about flying now.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Elite said:

I've never been great with heights but have always gone on the big rides at theme parks, I've been on those big bungee balls that catapult you and even did a reverse bungee harness thing in Greece which was still very high but as I'm getting older I'm nervous as fuck about heights and wouldnt go on the same stuff I did when I was younger.

I'm even anxious about flying now.

You're not alone mate. I was the exact same, always first on the big fairground rides, never arsed about flying.

The though of either actually scares me now.

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, Mook said:

After you hit 30 or thereabouts you get a massively increased sense of your own mortality I reckon.

That's true. I think once you have kids you definitely feel more vulnerable.

Getting wiser as you get older isn't really true, you just don't take as many risks.

• Upvote 3

Agree with the last few posts , I was pretty fearless about heights / rides etc. but I had a 3 or 4 seconds wobble while cleaning the outside upstairs windows and genuinely thought I was going to topple backwards 20 foot or so but just managed to grab the ledge with my fingertips. 

Since then I am a bit ginger about things I would have done without a seconds thought previously.

• Upvote 2

For various reasons I may soon be looking for a new job. The thought of it makes me physically sick. The hours spent looking for something suitable, the rejections, the humiliation of interviews...it's always been a chore, but my younger self was able to cope with it all. He might even have looked with pity on any 42-year-olds he came across in the process. To be that 42-year-old is an unbearable prospect.

• Upvote 2

Guest Pistonbroke

I've noticed how driving is more of a chore than enjoyment these days. The big accident I had a few years ago hasn't helped, that and the fact a lot of people drive about as if they're in a fucking F1 race despite the lack of width on some streets. 

1 hour ago, Elite said:

That's true. I think once you have kids you definitely feel more vulnerable.

Getting wiser as you get older isn't really true, you just don't take as many risks.

It was definitely having kids that did it for me. I used to love flying but for years after having the kids I was a soggy-palmed wreck every time I got on a plane. I’ve worked hard at rationalising it but it’s always a huge relief when those wheels hit the tarmac 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Champ said:

It was definitely having kids that did it for me. I used to love flying but for years after having the kids I was a soggy-palmed wreck every time I got on a plane. I’ve worked hard at rationalising it but it’s always a huge relief when those wheels hit the tarmac 

With planes, I always think there's about a metre of metal below separating me from 35,000 ft. drop.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Elite said:

With planes, I always think there's about a metre of metal below separating me from 35,000 ft. drop.

Yep, and anything can go wrong.  Terrorism, bad weather, a freak collision, pilot error, mechanical failure, electrical failure, bad maintenance, faulty readings in the cockpit, fire... or any combination thereof. 

• Upvote 2

The heights thing has happened to me too. Never bothered before, scared to death now.  Nearly froze at Centre Parcs tree climb thing and panicked like fuck at the top of the Marina Bay hotel in Singapore the other week.  There’s a photo of me at the edge and I look like I’m facing a firing squad. 

• Upvote 1

For about 20 years since reading a horror article about it happening, I always say “This is the bit where the fireball sweeps the cabin” to the person next to me as the plane is on its initial ascent.

If I have to suffer crippling fear so does everyone else.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TK421 said:

Yep, and anything can go wrong.  Terrorism, bad weather, a freak collision, pilot error, mechanical failure, electrical failure, bad maintenance, faulty readings in the cockpit, fire... or any combination thereof. 

You evil bastard. 

Funny as fuck, but evil. 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

For about 20 years since reading a horror article about it happening, I always say “This is the bit where the fireball sweeps the cabin” to the person next to me as the plane is on its initial ascent.

If I have to suffer crippling fear so does everyone else.

I’m getting on a plane in...24 hours.  Thanks. 

• Upvote 1