You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Getting Old

Bjornebye

Throughout my 20's i used to go to club nights like Circus, mUmU, Chibuku, etc.

You would generally see the same faces at these nights, which added to the community of it all and made you feel part of a scene.

I assume these faces must have started to disappear gradually without me noticing, culminating in me standing in the middle of the dance floor at one of these nights, with a moment of Gary induced clarity, realising that nobody i knew i was there anymore and i was a 30 something, surrounded by kids in their early 20's and my future consisted of doing beak in pub toilets.

• Upvote 1

I went arse over tit walking back home three days ago (and no, Iwasn't pissed). I ache all over, feel like a bloody cripple, can bearly get out of the house. Going up and down stairs is like a military exercise.

A few years ago I would have walked virtually all of this off by now easily. Think I've got a few more days to put up with this now though.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, tokyojoe said:

I went arse over tit walking back home three days ago (and no, Iwasn't pissed). I ache all over, feel like a bloody cripple, can bearly get out of the house. Going up and down stairs is like a military exercise.

A few years ago I would have walked virtually all of this off by now easily. Think I've got a few more days to put up with this now though.

Hope your not in too bad a way mate. Looking forward to seeing you again at an away match. No-one scales a beer garden fence like you. 

• Upvote 1

I saw a comedian talking about this a few weeks ago and I found myself agreeing. Often I'll wake up with an injury I didn't have when I went to sleep. A complete change to when I was younger and waking up having recovered from an injury. Rather than shake it off it then decides to hang around for a while, sometimes months. 

2 minutes ago, 1001000 said:

I saw a comedian talking about this a few weeks ago and I found myself agreeing. Often I'll wake up with an injury I didn't have when I went to sleep. A complete change to when I was younger and waking up having recovered from an injury. Rather than shake it off it then decides to hang around for a while, sometimes months. 

• Upvote 1

Photo's are another one. I dont know if its a mental thing or what, but despite putting on about 4 stone, losing my hair and undoubtedly wearing every year my age, when i look in the mirror, i still manage to see 2007, peak me looking back at me.

With a 3 month baby on the scene, my Mrs is now keen to take photo's of everything. For some reason, photos dont seem to be able to capture what the mirror does and every one of them has me looking like i chose poorly and drank from the wrong cup in Indiana Jones.

• Upvote 9

1 minute ago, John102 said:

Photo's are another one. I dont know if its a mental thing or what, but despite putting on about 4 stone, losing my hair and undoubtedly wearing every year my age, when i look in the mirror, i still manage to see 2007, peak me looking back at me.

With a 3 month baby on the scene, my Mrs is now keen to take photo's of everything. For some reason, photos dont seem to be able to capture what the mirror does and every one of them has me looking like i chose poorly and drank from the wrong cup in Indiana Jones.

Ha ha this. Cameras can fuck off. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

Cant remember the last time I was in a club. Give me day drinking in a decent boozer than a night on the tiles anyway of the week. 

Hell yeah, a beer garden session on a sunny Bank Holiday weekend is fucking bliss

40 minutes ago, John102 said:

Absolutely this. I look in the mirror and see a right handsome get but when most pictures taken have me looking like a weathered mong.

2 hours ago, 1001000 said:

That's been a lifelong thing with me. I can only think of one injury or ailment that happened while I was awake. Everything else is something I've woken up with. My subconscious is an accident-prone cunt.

15 hours ago, 1001000 said:

I recently read a headline "Nature wants 5 of your 7 children dead. It wants you dead by 50. Everything better than that is brought to you by science & technology" 

I should have died as a child from a tooth abscess. It was close to blocking my airway and my dentist had to remove it as a matter of urgency. I am sure quite a few of us have had what at the time seemed routine illnesses etc that untreated would have resulted in a far different future, or lack of without science and technology. 

As a child we're brimming with stem cells, those little builders take what we eat and grow us into adults that nature wants to then go on and produce more humans. And the cycle repeats, it's pretty much the story of most creatures on the planet.

Of course resources are something that nature appears to know something about, some creatures will stop breeding if there's not enough food, some (like mice) will go breeding crazy if provided enough food. We as civilised humans have evolved past this and control our own nature now, well most of it. We haven't mastered growing old and dying.

After 45 your brain deteriorates, do as many sudoku puzzles as you like it won't help. Perception of speed, reaction times and memory along with a host of other processes start to become impaired and there's absolutely nothing you can do about it. This is the number one issue that faces those that strive to increase our lifespan.

As we age, those stem cells are considerably impaired (or reduced) our body absorbs less nutrients and our immune system weakens. Just maintaining our body becomes a considerable task. Once you add in toxins (cigarettes, alcohol, drugs whether illegal or prescription, and foods that contain toxins) then the task becomes massive. 

Have you ever wondered why people that have addictions to drugs or alcohol (basically toxins) start to age really early. Well if you're working your body's filters 24/7 it doesn't get much chance to do the daily chores properly as our body is designed to fix things for the now and hope that the future gets better. Plus with that reduction in nutrient absorption the body has to steal from other parts of itself. You don't get enough calcium for instance then the body simply steals it from your bones, you'll fix it later right?

So what am I saying, don't enjoy life and live longer. Well that appears to be the solution. If we eat well, reduce the times we load ourselves with toxins and move a little then maybe we can give our body the chance to do the routine chores. 

How you live your life seems to be a good marker for how you age, (depending on your genes of course) and those that have done things that have worked their body when younger usually suffer first as they age. The problem is that the young rarely if ever consider growing old and live for the now. And as we only get one life, it's far better to have enjoyed it than to be miserable and then end up in a nursing home. 

Happy Easter. 

Sounds like hyperbolics 

10 hours ago, KMD7 said:

I'm a 46 year old grandad with kidney disease and on various meds for related issues like bp, heart, stomach, gout. Had hernia and gallbladder ops in the last few years and a minor matter of having an aneurysm behind my right eye coiled. 

Despite all that I'm still working full time and feel about 25, except when I read the drowning man's posts on the FF. That shit will age you.

What are your creatinine levels? Is the CKD well managed? I was diagnosed 10 years ago with an eGFR of about 32%. Now down to 10-12. Have hit 8-9% this year, which was pretty sketchy, itchy as fuck - even my eyeballs were itching, they wanted to put us on dialysis, but I asked them to hold off, and sorted myself out in a week or so.

ive found sleep and diet to be really important at this low end, my diet is restricted as fuck, but if I had cut out more of the high potassium stuff at around 17%, things would have lasted longer. I avoided bananas, but was still eating loads of spuds and nuts and shit.

sleep in the heat over here, has had me really dehydrated at night, due to sleeping with my gob open, and breathing through my mouth, which ends up with me

waking to drink more, and consequently pissing more. Sorting that helped with sleeep patterns and getting eGFR back to 11.

Just now, arthur friedenreich said:

What are your creatinine levels? Is the CKD well managed? I was diagnosed 10 years ago with an eGFR of about 32%. Now down to 10-12. Have hit 8-9% this year, which was pretty sketchy, itchy as fuck - even my eyeballs were itching, they wanted to put us on dialysis, but I asked them to hold off, and sorted myself out in a week or so.

ive found sleep and diet to be really important at this low end, my diet is restricted as fuck, but if I had cut out more of the high potassium stuff at around 17%, things would have lasted longer. I avoided bananas, but was still eating loads of spuds and nuts and shit.

sleep in the heat over here, has had me really dehydrated at night, due to sleeping with my gob open, and breathing through my mouth, which ends up with me

waking to drink more, and consequently pissing more. Sorting that helped with sleeep patterns and getting eGFR back to 11.

GFR currently 13, lowest it's ever been. Get mad itchy sometimes. Yep my eyes too. Currently waiting on an appointment to see about the possibility of  family donor but the centre in Dublin up to now haven't been in contact as my levels keep fluctuating above the threshold of 15 gfr. My nephrologist is getting in touch with them again to see what's going on. Apparently  have to be longterm below 15gfr  to go on donor list

No mention of dialysis yet mate. Trying to keep the diet good but not always easy.  

7 minutes ago, KMD7 said:

GFR currently 13, lowest it's ever been. Get mad itchy sometimes. Yep my eyes too. Currently waiting on an appointment to see about the possibility of  family donor but the centre in Dublin up to now haven't been in contact as my levels keep fluctuating above the threshold of 15 gfr. My nephrologist is getting in touch with them again to see what's going on. Apparently  have to be longterm below 15gfr  to go on donor list

No mention of dialysis yet mate. Trying to keep the diet good but not always easy.  

Diet is deffo the biggest bastard mate, I found my rates dropped quite a bit but have been stable around 11-12 for nearly 18 months now. But have got some really good regulators, I take resonium every day which is a potassium binder, and renagel with every meal which is a phosphate binder, without these I reckon I’d be well below 10 by now.

have you had a listen to the jarlath regan podcasts on kidney transplants? Pretty informative for Ireland I reckon.

12 minutes ago, arthur friedenreich said:

Diet is deffo the biggest bastard mate, I found my rates dropped quite a bit but have been stable around 11-12 for nearly 18 months now. But have got some really good regulators, I take resonium every day which is a potassium binder, and renagel with every meal which is a phosphate binder, without these I reckon I’d be well below 10 by now.

have you had a listen to the jarlath regan podcasts on kidney transplants? Pretty informative for Ireland I reckon.

No mate I Havent, thanks for the info will check it out. I Need to be a bit more pro-active but life gets in the way sometimes.

I completely forgot to see my dietician last month. As my levels were stable till recently i haven't been on any restricted diet as such though i am careful with what i eat. I dont use binders with my food bar Cholestyramine occasionally as i suffer from bile build up since i had my gall bladder out. 

I can't drink at all now either as it kills my guts, bastards.

8 minutes ago, KMD7 said:

No mate I Havent, thanks for the info will check it out. I Need to be a bit more pro-active but life gets in the way sometimes.

I completely forgot to see my dietician last month. As my levels were stable till recently i haven't been on any restricted diet as such though i am careful with what i eat. I dont use binders with my food bar Cholestyramine occasionally as i suffer from bile build up since i had my gall bladder out. 

I can't drink at all now either as it kills my guts, bastards.

Ah shite, I can still have a bevy, just not a standing session, if I put it away like years ago stood at the bar all night, I end up with legs like a frigging elephant and it takes a few days to get the liquid back out.

another useful thing I found was dairy, swapping milk for oat milk - tastes like shite, but means I can eat a bit of cheese every now and again, still have the cow juice in first brew of the day. Plus if I’m having cereal, mix a bit of dairy in with the gruel. But mainly porridge of a morning with a load of fruit, so the gruel oat milk is sound.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, John102 said:

2 hours ago, Champ said:

And mirrors

In_Mirror_Men large.jpg

In_Mirror_Women large.jpg