You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Getting Old

Bjornebye

When my hip got fucked in my mid 20s. 

Can still through it put its fuck my ability to run, can still move but lost acceleration and pretty much stopped football. Though I can still do a little bit of kickboxing. Hoping a bit of yoga or something will help

In some ways, physically I am fucked, knees are gone after a good night out, statins for life, blood pressure tablets for life, had laser treatment 15 years ago, but back on the bins, pissing 4 times a night and expecting a kidney transplant in the next few months.

however, having jacked the tabs a couple of years back, massively reduced my ale intake, pretty much given up on recreational drugs, got a bike and maintaining regular gym sessions

i am conversely as healthy as I have ever been, so don’t really feel aged.

i think not having any little vaunts helps with that - not only is it stressful (I know it is matched with parental joy to offset, but still it puts on a lot or pressure I don’t currently have) but as you see them grow up, surely this must age you a bit too.

• Upvote 1

I recently read a headline "Nature wants 5 of your 7 children dead. It wants you dead by 50. Everything better than that is brought to you by science & technology" 

I should have died as a child from a tooth abscess. It was close to blocking my airway and my dentist had to remove it as a matter of urgency. I am sure quite a few of us have had what at the time seemed routine illnesses etc that untreated would have resulted in a far different future, or lack of without science and technology. 

As a child we're brimming with stem cells, those little builders take what we eat and grow us into adults that nature wants to then go on and produce more humans. And the cycle repeats, it's pretty much the story of most creatures on the planet.

Of course resources are something that nature appears to know something about, some creatures will stop breeding if there's not enough food, some (like mice) will go breeding crazy if provided enough food. We as civilised humans have evolved past this and control our own nature now, well most of it. We haven't mastered growing old and dying.

After 45 your brain deteriorates, do as many sudoku puzzles as you like it won't help. Perception of speed, reaction times and memory along with a host of other processes start to become impaired and there's absolutely nothing you can do about it. This is the number one issue that faces those that strive to increase our lifespan.

As we age, those stem cells are considerably impaired (or reduced) our body absorbs less nutrients and our immune system weakens. Just maintaining our body becomes a considerable task. Once you add in toxins (cigarettes, alcohol, drugs whether illegal or prescription, and foods that contain toxins) then the task becomes massive. 

Have you ever wondered why people that have addictions to drugs or alcohol (basically toxins) start to age really early. Well if you're working your body's filters 24/7 it doesn't get much chance to do the daily chores properly as our body is designed to fix things for the now and hope that the future gets better. Plus with that reduction in nutrient absorption the body has to steal from other parts of itself. You don't get enough calcium for instance then the body simply steals it from your bones, you'll fix it later right?

So what am I saying, don't enjoy life and live longer. Well that appears to be the solution. If we eat well, reduce the times we load ourselves with toxins and move a little then maybe we can give our body the chance to do the routine chores. 

How you live your life seems to be a good marker for how you age, (depending on your genes of course) and those that have done things that have worked their body when younger usually suffer first as they age. The problem is that the young rarely if ever consider growing old and live for the now. And as we only get one life, it's far better to have enjoyed it than to be miserable and then end up in a nursing home. 

Happy Easter. 

• Upvote 3

There are a few things for me

When I had to stop playing football a few years ago as I started picking up muscle injuries.

I also done my back in while at the gym and since then have suffered from sciatica.

It now takes me a lot longer to get over a cold as when I was in my 20s it would last a few days but now I'm fucked for over week and I seem to pick them up a lot more also. 

I'm a 46 year old grandad with kidney disease and on various meds for related issues like bp, heart, stomach, gout. Had hernia and gallbladder ops in the last few years and a minor matter of having an aneurysm behind my right eye coiled. 

Despite all that I'm still working full time and feel about 25, except when I read the drowning man's posts on the FF. That shit will age you.

• Upvote 12