You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Carragher: Mane is Liverpool's best wide player in 30 years

tlw content

1 hour ago, El Rojo said:

Vladi was a favourite of mine. Probably a bit lightweight for the honest-clogger nature of the English domestic game, but still a lovely little footballer who had a colossal impact in Istanbul with his goal and penalty. Met him a few times and he's as sound as you'd imagine.

Trying in vain to find that picture of him with big ears on his head and a stogie on the go.

I think the point Carragher was making and I agree with him is that we are more reliant on Mane.  If you take Mane out of the team we lose so much creativity.  How many times has he been the guy to break the dead lock by providing the width we need?  He’s the only forward we have who tries to get to the byline consistently.  Dave puts it in his reports nearly every week.

Mane is much more consistent with his overall game.  When his finishing is off he’s still great at winning headers, holding the ball up, creating for other players and occupying defenders.  When Salah isn’t scoring his whole game seems to suffer.  He does still give you work rate but you don’t get anywhere near the effect on the game that you get from Mane.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

We should all have a favourite player. LFD's got Hendo, now Carra's making a play for Mané.

I don't have a favourite player actually.  Love so many of them equally.

Re: Best wide player.  I'd say Mane is better than Salah defensively, but Salah is the more consistent match winner.  How lucky we are to have both of them.

Best before them, Mcmanaman (although he was best central really) & Sterling (or Suarez when used wide, which was rare).

Kewell & Babel both disappointed me the most.  Kewell was ace at Leeds, think we made the right choice at the time getting him over Duff.  But i  hindsight Duff would have been better albeit £15m more.

3 hours ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

Who have our wide players been between Barnes and these two now?

Yeah, I think this is the right answer.

I mean, obviously Mane is brilliant, but it's not like the competition is that stiff. It's one of those that sounds like a huge compliment until you step back and think about it for a couple of seconds. "Best Liverpool wide player since Barnes" is just not one of those categories that's full of contenders.

I wasnt always on the Sadio bus. Ive said elsewhere that last season, I didnt think Sadio truely realised just how good a player he could be if he cut out his careless passes and improved his decision making.

This season, I think he has improved all round and Im now firmly on the bus. It doesnt seem to me like Sadio gets the love from the crowd that he's entitled to. Our song for him is shit compared to those for Mo, Bobby and Virgil. Someone needs to come up with something better than Oh Mane! Mane!

3 hours ago, El Rojo said:

Vladi was a favourite of mine. Probably a bit lightweight for the honest-clogger nature of the English domestic game, but still a lovely little footballer who had a colossal impact in Istanbul with his goal and penalty. Met him a few times and he's as sound as you'd imagine.

Unfortunately never met him but agree with everything posted there. 

3 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

I wasnt always on the Sadio bus. Ive said elsewhere that last season, I didnt think Sadio truely realised just how good a player he could be if he cut out his careless passes and improved his decision making.

This season, I think he has improved all round and Im now firmly on the bus. It doesnt seem to me like Sadio gets the love from the crowd that he's entitled to. Our song for him is shit compared to those for Mo, Bobby and Virgil. Someone needs to come up with something better than Oh Mane! Mane!

I don’t think Salah could ever be accused of making careless passes.  Or passes.