You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool 2 Chelsea 0 (Apr 14 2019)

tlw content

dave_usher.jpg

Report by
Dave Usher

Well that went well. Makes you wonder what we were worried about really, doesn't it? Pressure? What pressure? These players are incredible. The composure and mental strength we're seeing from them is something to behold. Whether they go on to win it or not, this is a truly great Liverpool side we're watching right now.

If they carry on like this and win their four remaining games, it may or may not be enough to win the title but it will definitely be the highest points tally the club has ever amassed. There are no open top bus parades for that but it would still be a phenomenal achievement.

Winning this game was a significant step as you know everyone (especially City) was looking on expecting this to be the game when it all went wrong for us. It was uncanny really, us playing Chelsea on the same weekend City were at Palace. Just like in 2014. Except it wasn't just like in 2014 because we won. 

If we win the title then this will be a significant victory, but even if we don't it still goes some way towards setting the record straight. It doesn't make up the heartbreak of the Gerrard slip, but it's a significant barrier that has been overcome. Next time we play Chelsea this late in the season with a title on the line, hopefully Sky Sports news will have the Salah thunderbolt on a loop instead of Demba fucking Ba.  Ok, probably not, but it at least changes the narrative somewhat and banishes a few ghosts.

The win was well deserved. The clean sheet was somewhat fortunate as we could easily have conceded, but ultimately this was a test that the lads - and the fans - came through with flying colours. There was no edginess or nervous tension in the stands, although scoring early in the second half obviously helps with that.

The first half atmosphere was good too though. We weren’t creating too much and given the high stakes some tension would have been understandable, but there was no sense of panic and I thought the crowd were great from start to finish.

What happened in 2014 will have been in the back (and in some cases the front) of all of our minds, but Klopp had done his best to dismiss that in the build up and it was clear that to him and the players it was a complete non-factor. When you think about it, why would it be?

The one player who might have been thinking of it was Hendo, who was sat in the stands that day unable to do anything about it as he was suspended (thanks to Victor fucking Moses and his hospital pass. Twat). Given the way the skipper has been playing of late and the desire and determination he has, I was convinced he’d put in a big performance. He did. They all did.

Trent was in the stadium that day too. He was a ball boy. He knew what that result did to the psyche of the fans as he’s one himself. Now, as a player, he was in a position to help slay that demon. He’s still only a kid himself, but what a performance he put in.

I genuinely don’t think most people realise just how good he is you know. He’s incredible. He’ll be one of the best players in the world one day, regardless of what position he ends up in. So gifted.

For the rest of the lads though 2014 had no relevance. It’s the fans who were scarred by it, not these players or this manager, and it showed by the calmness and maturity in their performance.

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full report

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• Upvote 2

• dave u pinned this topic

Brilliant report Dave this was an amazing match played by an amazing team

You're right City can win the title with 38 out of 38 wins and it wont mean anything because they cheated the system and are basically using the billionaire owner cheat on Football Manager. Do you think if Man United were the team running them this close that the media would have been so willing to turn a blind eye to their bullshit?

Salah's goal was amazing and I'm glad to see him back on selfless wave, he really needed that goal against Southampton because he's back to his old self

Great report.As you say this team deserve to win the league and cup and if they don't I will be bitterly disappointed,but you have to look at the steady progress year on year under Klopp,the spirit  in the camp and among the fans is fantastic

We are Liverpool,this means more is a factual statement in my opinion.

Can't wait for Wednesday's game.

• Like 1

Three comments on all that mate:

1. Totally agree on Trent. I don’t think it’s being recognised by many just how talented he is or how far he could rise in the game. 

2. The atmosphere on Mo’s goal was unreal. Absolutely unreal. However, I also massively buzzed off the roars in the second half when we kept attacking The Kop and you could see the main and SKD stands all leaping to their feet and cheering the team on. When the arl arses are shouting you know the place is bouncing. 

3. The City cheating thing is fucking doing my head in. Badly. I reckon if we win our last four games we’ll win the league. However, that’s still tough and they’re capable of winning all of their five. That said though, as I said to you and Jules, wherever we finish, there needs to be reference made in the history books to the context: we’ll either be cheated out of a title despite a massive points haul or we’ll win a title despite their cheating. Either way, that should be the narrative. 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Mikhail said:

Salah's goal was amazing and I'm glad to see him back on selfless wave, he really needed that goal against Southampton because he's back to his old self

Not forgetting his part in Alderweild's own goal against Spuds the weekend before. Turning point.

Our 3 hardest fixtures won. Their 2 hardest (3inc Burnely?) to come

Come on REDS!!! Lets keep the pressure up.

Annoys me how teams keep waving the white flag when up against them- you have to hope that Spurs/United/Burnley will at least make them work for it.

Must confess if they were our fixtures Id be doubtful we would take 9 points...    

The difference between this team and the 2014 team is simple it's called the ability to defend. We lost the league that year because because that team conceded 50 league goals, I mean has this team even conceded 20 yet?  I'm sick of hearing about the slip it had fuck to do with losing the league, it was about terrible defending over the course of a season not one moment in one game. 

• Upvote 3

I wanted to kill Danny Murphy last night on MOTD 2 ...just gave these pricks more fuel focusing on mo going down .Meanwhile it was that Keown muppet that was stating that it was a foul

As for the first goal , maybe I'm wrong but to me it looked like Mo actually flicked the ball to Hendo rather than it just being a lucky break

• Upvote 1

Ah, the Higuaín chance was the other chance they had. I was reading BlueMoon last night and they were all moaning about Chelsea missing 3 great chances in quick succession. I shit myself on the two Hazard ones and was just waiting for the net to bulge, but I think I was so convinced that Higuaín would fuck it up in that position that I just ended up erasing the chance from my mind. I do vaguely recall it now.

4 hours ago, Gav said:

I wanted to kill Danny Murphy last night on MOTD 2 ...just gave these pricks more fuel focusing on mo going down .Meanwhile it was that Keown muppet that was stating that it was a foul

As for the first goal , maybe I'm wrong but to me it looked like Mo actually flicked the ball to Hendo rather than it just being a lucky break

Ridiculous how he's developed a reputation as a diver this year. He's one of the most honest players around. It often looks a bit forced when a player running at pace goes down when he's caught slightly. The challenges aren't usually enough to knock them down completely, but they're always enough to knock the player out of their stride and lose the chance. But the refs never give anything if they don't go to the ground, so it's hard to blame anyone for going down easily.

9 hours ago, Anubis said:

Azpilicueta was a snide, crying little shit from the word go. Pity he didn’t see red.

That fucker has been like that from day one. 

Can't stand him. Dirty cunt. 

Or as Dave wrote it might be the Chelsea / Maureen effect.  

Cheers for the report. And a class way to finish it. Put things in perspective on what is truly important! Still take the win, mind.

9 hours ago, Gav said:

Camera angle from behind the goal shows it was the defender who played the ball under pressure.

• dave u unpinned this topic