You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Porto (A) Champions League 17/4/2019

Bjornebye

fuckin’ aye ‘ere we go ‘ere we go ‘ere we go

If anybody is up for anoth final its Mo - he’ll be wanting to correct that shithouse final last year, so Ive got us odds on to win the thing.

the only question mark is the double, but things are lining up nicely.

United will want to batter City now or risk being a team nobody talks about.

Didn't see the first 10 minutes, but that first half seemed to be all about Porto attacking and wasting promising openings, while we struggled to put 2 passes together.

Then Mane scored. I initially thought he was offside so fully expected the goal to be chalked off but the fact that the ref was conferring for so long suggested there was a case for the offside call to be overturned. Then he signalled the goal and the tie was over. Only then were TV viewers shown a replay.

After that, we were pretty much untroubled for the rest of the half before taking control in the second. Salah was put through by a fine pass from Trent. Henderson laid one on a plate for Firmino. And Van Dijk buried a Mane near-post flick-on from a corner. Barnes used to do those flick-ons all the time.

This one was all about game management and it allowed Gomez to get a first-team run out for the first time since December, as well as a start for Origi up front.

Barcelona next up. People keep saying that they aren't all that defensively but we shouldn't just assumed that to be the case. We'll also have to use the ball better than we did against Porto. And of course not forgetting that we need to contain Barca's attack somehow. Oh, and it will help massively if we get inside the heads of the more hot-headed members of their team, like Vidal, Alba and even Suarez.

Before that, we have a couple of other very important games to take care of.

I missed the first 25 or so minutes as I was walking to the bar (it's 3 and a half miles away from me). From what I did see of the first half we weren't at our best but it was pretty comfortable having said that. Once we got the goal you knew it was only going one way. Second half I can't say there was much to complain about. Obviously we shipped one pretty late on but eh shit happens.

This Barcelona tie has been on the cards for ages, I thought we'd get it last year but this year it is and I'm well up for it as I'm sure everyone else it. They're a great side but we seem to raise our game for ties like this. I'd be more worried if it was the final honestly and that's just because of our record in those so far under Klopp which is, for me, the lone blight on his time here so far.

29 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

Agree, he would have been a very useful signing for us.

Just seen the fixtures and we have to play Newcastle at 4.30 on the Sunday then Barcelona at home on the Tuesday. I'm sure Barcelona will get their game moved and rest most of their team that weekend. Cunts. 

In any country, the game vs Newcastle would be move ...

48 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

Just seen the fixtures and we have to play Newcastle at 4.30 on the Sunday then Barcelona at home on the Tuesday. I'm sure Barcelona will get their game moved and rest most of their team that weekend. Cunts. 

Maybe we'll parade the league trophy before the Barcelona kick off?*

*I'm joking. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

- Liverpool beat Cardiff

- Newcastle beat Southampton 

- Newcastle 10 points clear of Cardiff with 3 to play, ie safe! 

- Rafa plays his u23s against Liverpool as a show of appreciation. 

- Warnock's head explodes. 

• Upvote 1