You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Tommy Smith

3 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Close to tears here, what a player. Very few of today’s pampered primadonnas could of taken a fair tackle from him, let alone a foul. I will always remember that header in 77 as a 9 year old kid I was jumping up and down on the couch in my Nana’s. 

RIP Tommy. A true Liverpool Legend.

My Dad had that game on video (amongst others) and everytime I watched one I pretended I was one of the players.

Whenever I watched that game I always pretended I was Tommy Smith. 

• Upvote 1

Very sad news. It dawns on you that a lot of these legends that my mum and uncles raved about when I was a kid are now getting to late stages of their lives and unfortunately we're starting to lose some to illness and old age.

Like many on here I was too young to actually remember him playing but boy did I know all about him. Proper Liverpool legend and may he rest in peace.

When my uncle Mark died last year, my dad mentioned that his overriding memory of him was from the 1977 European Cup final in Rome. We won a corner and Mark said: "Watch Tommy Smith here!" and of course a few seconds later Smithy was rising to head the ball home.

My Tommy Smith related experience was less iconic. I was working at the Post & Echo around 2001 and the newsroom was moving across into a bigger room. I was bending down fiddling with one of our boxes, and looked up to see the Anfield Iron being given a tour of the new facility. In my surprise I somehow managed to tear the seam of the crotch of my trousers right open. To this day I hope Tommy didn't hear the tell-tale ripping sound as he walked past my desk.

YNWA Tommy Smith.

• Upvote 9

1 minute ago, Strontium Dog said:

When my uncle Mark died last year, my dad mentioned that his overriding memory of him was from the European Cup final in Rome. We won a corner and Mark said: "Watch Tommy Smith here!" and of course a few seconds later Smithy was rising to head the ball home.

My Tommy Smith related experience was less iconic. I was working at the Post & Echo around 2001 and the newsroom was moving across into a bigger room. I was bending down fiddling with one of our boxes, and looked up to see the Anfield Iron being given a tour of the new facility. In my surprise I somehow managed to tear the seam of the crotch of my trousers right open. To this day I hope Tommy didn't hear the tell-tale ripping sound as he walked past my desk.

YNWA Tommy Smith.

That's a powerful erection. I'm sure the big man would've approved.

• Upvote 2

My heart sank when I saw the thread title.  I still remember an interview with a young Paul Mariner of Ipswich (?) when Tommy was getting towards the latter stage of his career, and Mariner said "he's a smashing player, getting tackled by him is like getting hit by a runaway coal truck !".

Underrated as a player, his header in 1977 had me diving off the couch screaming like a fucking loon.  I am genuinely gutted tonight, what an absolute fucking downer to start the weekend.

Thanks for the memories Tommy, you will be sadly missed.

• Upvote 1