You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Worst British Sitcom Ever?

Heil,Honey I'm Home!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heil_Honey_I'm_Home!

Hardwicke House ITV 1987

ITV spectacularly got the scheduling wrong on this School based comedy.Instead of 10pm Saturday or Sunday,ie the Spitting Image slot where it would have fitted perfectly,they put the first two episodes out at 8.30pm on a weekday.

Me and my school mates loved it,but the media slaughtered it due to over the top violence,(one scene had a young girl getting an electric shock) and general 'Young Ones' style anarchy. Rik and Ade were due to appear as former school bully's,but it was pulled from the airwaves and never shown again.

28 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

I think this is one of those shows blokes (hopefully not being presumptuous about you here) dislike, but women of a certain era found novel. One of the first sitcoms written from a female perspective, and intimating the boredom of their suburban lives.

It was well-written and acted and ,as you say, novel but it was insufferably twee. And not actually funny. 

The Good Life. Although it wasn't that bad it was simply the lack of alternatives that allowed these shows to thrive.

Slinger's Day. It was the same show as Tripper's Day which starred Leonard Rossiter as a supermarket manager and showed promise until Rossiter passed away during filming. Bruce Forsyth took over as Mr Slinger and it was truly awful. It should have been slung in the Thames along with that prick Forsyth.

3 minutes ago, Special K said:

As I said, I haven't seen it.

It just comes across like a dirty version of Miranda

It has humour but it’s so much more than cheap laughs. What is the definition of sitcom anyway?

18 minutes ago, TK421 said:

Last of the Summer Wine meant that Bullseye was over, the weekend was over, all the fun was over and it was school the next morning.  

You see it reminds me of being stuffed full of roast dinner and sitting with my grandparents as a kid.  Bawdy slapstick and endless repetition, but can never hate it, nor can I have anything made with such love put down as the worst ever anything.

Not when Hippies exists.

1 minute ago, Pidge said:

You see it reminds me of being stuffed full of roast dinner and sitting with my grandparents as a kid.  Bawdy slapstick and endless repetition, but can never hate it, nor can I have anything made with such love put down as the worst ever anything.

Not when Hippies exists.

It's not the worst ever, it just meant all the fun was over.  The theme tune confirmed that all fun was over and it was shitty school the next morning.

Babes in the Wood is clearly the worst. 

3 minutes ago, Mudface said:

On the Buses was a dreary, laugh-free load of shite.

Duty Free and Brush Strokes were fucking awful as well-

On the Buses was of its time. Like a Carry on Series. Brush Strokes and Duty Free were so bad I just ignored them. That Gwen Taylor from Duty Free looked a good looking lass in her younger days.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1