You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Nike

Ne Moe Imya

I reckon if this happens they’ll do something special with the kit rather than make one like all their others. It’ll be massively high profile and their only kit in the PL. They’ll want to really make a splash. 

Also wonder if they might sponsor the main stand or the new training ground as part of a huge deal.  

1 hour ago, chrisbonnie said:

Couldn't care less who we sign with once they give us an absolute truck load of cash for the honour. 

But it make sense for Nike to go all out on us. 

They don't have any other top 6 team in the Premier league. 

Chelsea and tottenham have nike ???

That new Brazil away kit is sweet. The combo of white shirts with blue shorts and dark blue socks works really well.

If Nike are to take over from NB in 2020, they are going to want control of merchandising just like they do with every other club they sponsor. Right now, Liverpool have control over the sale and distribution of merchandising outside of whatever NB produces for them, so the profits belong to the club rather than the club getting a cut from NB for this. Any deal with Nike has to be substantial in order for the club to give up control of merchandising. NB don't have the resources to match whatever Nike might offer but if they get close enough at a certain level, FSG will probably agree to extend with NB instead.

The big companies always want to tie teams down to 10-year deals, and to me that seems foolhardy for the clubs to agree to because the landscape changes every 3-4 years. I think those clubs can request an increase every few years but to break such a contract would be too expensive if the big companies don't feel it's worth paying the extra.

You also have to bear in mind that while companies like Adidas and Nike are throwing huge amounts around to the biggest clubs for kit deals, the price of the kits also increases significantly. I think a shirt for one of their teams retails for around £70 before you factor in things like names, numbers and patches. NB's stuff retails for quite a bit less than that as they aren't throwing around anywhere near the sort of money Adidas and Nike are. It's only Liverpool that gets a significant amount from them.

Lastly, Nike (and recently Adidas) have had a habit of fucking about with tradition and giving their teams garish designs and odd combinations for home kits. Inter Milan had a home kit with highlighter yellow socks a couple of years ago, and England had that weird white and sky blue kit with red socks recently too. Barcelona have had kits with halves and hoops, and next year will have Croatia-style check shirts. A lot of their fans hate the idea but Nike are paying big bucks and they have more than enough cunt fans buying their shit anyway.

Bayern fans got fed up of Adidas fucking about with Bayern's home kits and complained so much that Bayern ditched their navy home shorts for this season, replacing them with traditional red ones. The club has also written it into their charter that home kits must be red from now on. Their team has seen an upturn in form in the Bundesliga since that change too. I think it should be part of LFC's charter that the colours of the home kit cannot be fucked about with - it must be all red. The red should also be the same shade they've used in the past couple of seasons.

• Upvote 3

15 hours ago, Paul said:

I reckon if this happens they’ll do something special with the kit rather than make one like all their others. It’ll be massively high profile and their only kit in the PL. They’ll want to really make a splash. 

Also wonder if they might sponsor the main stand or the new training ground as part of a huge deal.  

Coke. As. Sponsor. 

Just saying. 

• 4 years later...
40 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Interesting little thread on the Nike deal.

If we stay outside the european cup places i could easily see nike wanting to pay less - they'd probably want to carry on working with us as we are still a big seller, bit if we weren't happy with a package that saw us make less then it would not surprise me if a parting of the ways happened. Most likely scenario if we are away from top table might be a deal even more weighted towards units shifted.