Quantcast
Liverpool 2 FC Porto 0 (April 9 2019) - FF - Football Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
tlw content

Liverpool 2 FC Porto 0 (April 9 2019)

Recommended Posts

 

 
dave_usher.jpg
 
Report by
Dave Usher

 

A two goal lead and a clean sheet is a good night’s work. We’re not through yet but it would take an uncharacteristic defensive collapse for us to miss out on the semis now. Personally I thought Porto looked useful though so I’m taking nothing for granted yet.

 

It’s a mark of how far we’ve come that a win like this is just seen as fairly routine now. Nothing to get overly excited about. In fact, there may even be an element of disappointment from some. We played alright, but it was generally third gear stuff. As I said, we’ve come a long way.

 

The first half was good, the second half not so much. I wonder whether the way we played in the second half had anything to do with the Roma game last season though. 5-0 up and yet by the end of the second leg were hanging on and going through by a single goal margin because we conceded two away goals late on in the first leg. 

 

The first half in this one was end to end, thrilling stuff. Maybe Klopp didn't like that and thought we were too open? The second was certainly much more low key, as we played at a lower tempo and didn’t try to force it too much. Porto seemed to retreat into their shell a bit more too. In the first half they had a right go and seemed determined to not go home without an away goal or two. It made for an open, exciting opening 45 minutes.

 

We went ahead very early courtesy of a deflected Keita strike. Lovely move, but the finish was somewhat lucky as Casillas looked like he probably had it covered until he was wrong footed by the deflection. That’s two goals in two games for Naby, both of them massively deflected (maybe he's becoming the new Lampard). They all count though and it seems to have helped his confidence no end. 

 

I loved Milner’s role in that goal too. He wasn’t content to just go in and win the ball, he made sure he knew exactly where it was going and he put it perfectly into space to set Mané away. Proper veteran know how that. Clever play from Bobby too to come short and collect the ball before rolling it to Naby. Just good football all round.

 

 

This is just a teaser, click to view the full article

 

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good result all round. Can't see us not scoring in the second leg, in which case Porto will need 4 goals. 

 

We've come a long way in a short period of time (after doing fuck all for what seemed ages). 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The offside goal did go to VAR. Even on the replays it was extremely hard to tell and looked to me like a defender's outstretched arm was maybe keeping Mane level. There was certainly no benefit of the doubt given. I always thought the linesman was supposed to keep his flag down in such tight scenarios, too. I don't even really know how it's supposed to work entirely. Is it like the NFL where they always go with the original decision unless there's clear evidence to overturn it? Had the goal been given originally then it might have been hard to overturn it in that case. VAR was just doing my head in even watching it at home last night, and it must have been much worst for anyone at the ground. I can't imagine anyone in the ground had a clue what they were checking for on the Lovren penalty incident in the second half. It's going to seriously slow the flow of the game down if they're constantly stopping to check for things like that (didn't exactly make any difference in the second half last night as there was never any game flow to slow down).

 

One step from the semi finals and yet there seems to be a general air of indifference amongst people about the champions league this year because everyone's so wrapped up in the title challenge. What a lovely contrast to the state we were in a few years back, though, when we'd have all been happy with a run in just about any competition.

 

On to Chelsea. I didn't see Chelsea's game on Monday, but the commentators last night were raving on about how great Hazard was in it. Good to know he's come into form just before he faces us just for a change. No idea what will happen but can guarantee Chelsea won't just wave the white flag like they did at City. Hopefully this is the month where the fixture pile up will weigh City down. Last night was a good start, with them finally being given a game, as it wont make much difference how many fixtures they play if all their games continue to be the glorified training sessions they've been playing for the last few months.

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, mike23 said:

 Is it like the NFL

Yep - big part of the clusterfuck is this -- the NFL has got it down pretty well and they are tracking far more possible scenarios. The ruling should always be made on the field and should stand unless it is obvious.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, mike23 said:

The offside goal did go to VAR. Even on the replays it was extremely hard to tell and looked to me like a defender's outstretched arm was maybe keeping Mane level. There was certainly no benefit of the doubt given. I always thought the linesman was supposed to keep his flag down in such tight scenarios, too. I don't even really know how it's supposed to work entirely. Is it like the NFL where they always go with the original decision unless there's clear evidence to overturn it? Had the goal been given originally then it might have been hard to overturn it in that case. VAR was just doing my head in even watching it at home last night, and it must have been much worst for anyone at the ground. I can't imagine anyone in the ground had a clue what they were checking for on the Lovren penalty incident in the second half. It's going to seriously slow the flow of the game down if they're constantly stopping to check for things like that (didn't exactly make any difference in the second half last night as there was never any game flow to slow down).

 

One step from the semi finals and yet there seems to be a general air of indifference amongst people about the champions league this year because everyone's so wrapped up in the title challenge. What a lovely contrast to the state we were in a few years back, though, when we'd have all been happy with a run in just about any competition.

 

On to Chelsea. I didn't see Chelsea's game on Monday, but the commentators last night were raving on about how great Hazard was in it. Good to know he's come into form just before he faces us just for a change. No idea what will happen but can guarantee Chelsea won't just wave the white flag like they did at City. Hopefully this is the month where the fixture pile up will weigh City down. Last night was a good start, with them finally being given a game, as it wont make much difference how many fixtures they play if all their games continue to be the glorified training sessions they've been playing for the last few months.

 

 

My understanding with offside is the referee should keep his flag down unless they are certain the player is offside, in which case they can raise it. VAR can still be used either way, obviously.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cracking report as usual Dave,I also think Gini will start on Sunday (famous last words)...Gini so strong, still think Naby gives ball away too much& a couple of times too slow and only for the crowd "man on" would have been caught on a couple of more occasion's.His confidence is growing though, hopefully all bodes well.C'mon redmen.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is no need for the complete fucking nonsense with VAR. The Bundesleague has it pretty much down pat. Just follow them, or use German refs for the remaining game OR find some decent fucking officials and the useless contraption can be binned.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, mark melia said:

Cracking report as usual Dave,I also think Gini will start on Sunday (famous last words)...Gini so strong, still think Naby gives ball away too much& a couple of times too slow and only for the crowd "man on" would have been caught on a couple of more occasion's.His confidence is growing though, hopefully all bodes well.C'mon redmen.

Totally agree with this reading of Naby’s game. I’m delighted to see some small improvements but, while totally open to the idea that adapting to both a new language/culture and Klopp’s style takes time, I’m disappointed by him.

 

The one thing I felt was nailed on in his game from watching him play for Leipzig is his explosive/aggressive style. However, he’s looked overawed and a little lacking in alertness/awareness here. 

 

There have been definite glimpses (although nothing anywhere near as compelling as the hipsters so desperately try to insist with their stat takes on his performances), but he’s nowhere near what we paid for yet. Thankfully though, I do get the impression that the barriers are mental rather than any deficiency in his ability, which bodes well for his improvement over time through continued exposure to Klopp’s way of training and playing. 

 

I do think he’s got to work harder on just settling in to a new country too. His English is still very weak and that will leave him feeling an outsider if he doesn’t improve it fast. Mané was noticeably looking out for him on the pitch and especially in the goal celebrations in the last two games. Think that shows the struggles he’s had. Came off more like a big brother than a best mate, to me. 

 

Anyway, let’s hope these last two games are just the start because, good though they’ve been, they’re nowhere near enough to justify a regular starting slot, never mind his fee.  

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I quite enjoyed George's melodramatic (if erratic) VAR announcements.

 

'VAR Check - Penalty. VAR Check - Penalty.'

(Men stare helplessly at the pitch. Confused children look up to anxious parents. Nervous pets whine and pace.)

'CHECK OVER. CHECK OVER.'

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, mike23 said:

The offside goal did go to VAR. Even on the replays it was extremely hard to tell and looked to me like a defender's outstretched arm was maybe keeping Mane level. There was certainly no benefit of the doubt given. 

 

 

An arm can't play someone onside.  It was tight but it was the right call. He was inches offside. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, liverpoolsno9 said:

An arm can't play someone onside.  It was tight but it was the right call. He was inches offside. 

Thats how I saw it too. Fair play to the linesman for seeing it and having the balls to back himself.

 

Or should he be called assistant referee now? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

VAR is crap, because it's administrated by the same shit show officials who already referee the game. It's just a different way for them to make wrong decisions. Meet the new boss - same as the old boss. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

VAR is crap, because it's administrated by the same shit show officials who already referee the game. It's just a different way for them to make wrong decisions. Meet the new boss - same as the old boss. 

Worked perfect last night in the Barca match. Lino made a shocking call with the offside and VAR corrected it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mark M said:

Worked perfect last night in the Barca match. Lino made a shocking call with the offside and VAR corrected it.

I'm talking mainly about the Premier League (he says, realising this is a European match thread...)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The linesman may have gotten the Mane offside right, but it was so close there's no way he could have known for certain and in that situation he's supposed to wait, so to me that's a bad call and he just got lucky as if that's six inches the other way he's made a costly mistake.

 

That being said, it depends when he flagged. If the flag went up after the ball went in then it's fine. If it went up before and the Porto players reacted to it, then it's not.

 

The commentators seemed to think it was the latter, and that the ref may have even blew the whistle before the ball hit the net.

 

I don't know if that was the case or not, but talking hypothetically he shouldn't flag until after the ball is in the net.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The funny thing about VAR is it is making officials look less than capable.

 

The exact opposite is true in the NFL where it is amazing how many times they get it right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Available Subscriptions

  • Last Match Report

  • Latest Posts

    • He should be focusing on the integrity of the championship.
    • Troy Deeney says that he feels sorry for Liverpool for having their season spoiled by the coronavirus outbreak but believes all integrity has been lost from the season.

      Yesterday saw the announcement which every Liverpool fan was waiting for regarding the resumption of the Premier League after a three month hiatus.

      As has been previously stated, there are to be no fans inside Football grounds for the foreseeable future meaning it will be somewhat of a empty existence for players, managers and officials alike.

      Jürgen Klopp and his players were masters in keeping their emotions in check whenever they were asked about winning the title.

      But it would have only been natural for them to let their mind drift and envisage the complete joy and euphoric scenes that would have taken place at Anfield come the end of the season.

      Watford captain Troy Deeney has been one of the main voices from the players expressing doubt on the resumption of the season.

      Now that a return looks virtually guaranteed, the striker feels that the title win will always come with an asterisk attached.

      Football 365 (via CNN) reported Deeney as saying.  

      “I believe that when it comes to the integrity of this season anyway, it’s already gone.

      “I feel sorry for Liverpool because no matter how it plays out, they deserve to win the league. They deserve to get the trophy.

      “But no matter how it plays out, even if we play all the games, it’s still going to be the year spoiled by the pandemic. It’s not going to be that year that Liverpool won the league being the best team and, you know, it’s 30 years they haven’t won for.

      “So I do feel sorry for Liverpool and their players and Jordan [Henderson], but in terms of integrity, there’s no way you could say that this is a viable competition.

      “It’s like running a marathon, 20 odd miles, stopping for two months and then sprinting the last bit and going: ‘Ah, that was a good time that.'”

      As Liverpool fans know all too well, it’s not over until the finishing line is crossed.

      There are two wins required until the Reds are officially crowned as champions.

      And as we have seen during this hiatus, there will be those who try to pour a level of doubt on the achievement or in case of Deeney, deliver a level of faint praise.

      In terms of the marathon analogy of Deeney, there will be no team to emerge from the pack and therefore no sprinting required.

      Simply because, Liverpool are way out in front, the hard work has already been done as they have broken the back of their challengers.

      We live in a democracy and opinions like Deeney's are more than welcome to be noted.

      But the cold hard truth is asterisk or not, Liverpool have more than proven themselves as a class above this season.

      And when it is all said and done, this trophy will sit very nicely amongst all the other pieces of silverware in the Liverpool trophy cabinet.


       
      View full article
    • That’s my worry. Not that we won’t eventually win it but that we come back a bit lethargic and complacent because we are so far ahead  and it’s literally in the bag.
      I want us to hit the ground running and put it to bed as quickly as possible, I don’t want it to drag onto four five or six games and then it stops again giving ammunition to those who said you can’t just “give” them the title as it’s not mathematically over
    • That's really bad luck for the lad in all fairness.   I don't particularly wish any ill on their players, except for Holgate. He's a cunt. It's the fans who deserve the venom and disdain.
    • The £25million summer signing has only just returned to full training due to a depressing series of problems, which saw him struck down after playing just two games for his new club. But now he will now undergo surgery on a severe Achilles injury. The freak injury happened when he was playing a round of foot tennis with team-mate Andre Gomes at the end of Thursday’s session.
  • Latest Round Up

  • Popular Contributors

  • Football Betting Site Betway
  • Online Bingo
×