You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coutinho: I am dreaming of an Anfield return in the Champions League

tlw content

He may be currently be playing in another league, but Philippe Coutinho has not forgotten the significance of coming up against one of Liverpool's most fierce rivals.

Barcelona face Man United in the quarter finals of the Champions League on Wednesday night at Old Trafford and along with Luis Suarez, both are certain to face a hot reception.

However according to the Brazilian, he is more than prepared for it and it will be water off a duck's back.

The Liverpool Echo (via The Mirror) reported Coutinho as saying:

“If they boo myself and Luis Suarez then that’s normal at Old Trafford because of the team we used to play for. 

" But it won’t make any difference to me.

"And, even more than that, it is an incentive to play better and to be even more focused.

"I know that games against Manchester United are special. I learned what they meant during my time at Liverpool when we lived it so intensely with the fans.

“I have that nailed in my memory and, even though this is a different stage, if Barcelona knock United out of Europe, it will be a double personal satisfaction for me.”

skysports-philippe-coutinho-liverpool-premier-league_4192476.jpg

Coutinho has been heavily linked to the Red Devils in recent months but judging by those comments, he has no thoughts of joining them anytime soon.

Despite a difficult first full season with the Catalan giants , Coutinho says he is settled and has no intention of leaving.

"I’m happy. I wanted to play in Spain and I’m at the best club in Spain.

"My head is exclusively in Barcelona. 

"Returning to England now does not fit into my plans.”

Liverpool supporters by and large have mixed emotions to the departure of the exquisitely skilled playmaker.

While the manner that he left the club was disappointing, his departure led to the arrival of one of the pre-eminent figures in today's football in Virgil Van Dijk.

While it would have been something special having them in the same team, sometimes you can't have it all.

However, Coutinho is delighted with the progress of his former club this season.

"I’m glad that Liverpool are doing well this year. 

"Jurgen Klopp is a great coach and it was only a matter of time before he got the team performing the way they are.

"They are having an incredible season."

While there is a fair bit of water to go under the bridge in the next few weeks, Liverpool and Barcelona are on a collision course to meet in the semi finals of the Champions League.

It is definitely something that Coutinho has in the back of his mind.

"It would be a dream to play at Anfield again, an explosion of different feelings, I’m sure. But I have to be honest and say I would have preferred to meet Liverpool only in the final itself.

If it were to happen, I'm sure the fans would give Philippe and Luis a typical Anfield reception.

View full article

"Returning to England now does not fit into my plans.

Because you’re still pining over joining your half-transformed werewolf love, who treated you like a neglected love-sick puppy by persuading you to join Barca while simultaneously fucking off to join PSG. 

5 minutes ago, Bad Red Bull said:

Hope his back acts up if we get to face them

It will be interesting to see if he gets back problems when playing against Liverpool or if it was exclusively while playing for Liverpool.

30 minutes ago, Anubis said:

"Returning to England now does not fit into my plans.

Because you’re still pining over joining your half-transformed werewolf love, who treated you like a neglected love-sick puppy by persuading you to join Barca while simultaneously fucking off to join PSG. 

And he'll join PSG, which will allow Neymar to move to Madrid.