You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Southampton 1 Liverpool 3 (Apr 5 2019)

tlw content

dave_usher.jpg

Report by
Dave Usher

It seems like every week these lads are knocked to the canvas, and every week they just Tyson Fury the fuck out of the opposition and pick themselves up. We weren’t exactly down and out against Southampton but we were in real trouble. The lads are used to this now though, they know how to handle it.

With ten minutes to go we were staring down the barrel of two dropped points. Yet again, these lads found a way to win. They’ve got balls of steel and if they win this title no team will ever have deserved it more. “Mentality monsters” Klopp called them. Imagine that. They’ve come a long way from the side that buckled in the 2016 Europa League Final, that’s for sure.

They’re putting us through the shredder every week though aren’t they? They started this game terribly. Southampton were all over us and we struggled to cope with it. Part of it was how we approached the game, but it’s also about how teams seem to be super-motivated when they face us.

Klopp had said prior to the game that teams wave the white flag against City and then produce the performance of their lives against us. He’s dead right, and I’m fucking sick of it. 

Southampton haven’t played like this all season, but we seem to get everybody’s best effort and that makes what these lads have done even more remarkable. 

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full article

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• Upvote 2

• dave u pinned this topic
10 minutes ago, tlw content said:

Klopp had said prior to the game that teams wave the white flag against City and then produce the performance of their lives against us. He’s dead right, and I’m fucking sick of it. 

Disagree 100% with this sentiment. City squeeze the life out of opponents until they give up and often give them absolutely no chance. As good as we are, teams have more of the ball against us and can often exist in matches far more than against City. It's not a coincidence or a question of trying less or more. That's a bad way of looking at it. 

Couldn't agree more on Hendo, Dave. Brilliant performance and that celebration... fucking hell, it’s had me welling up like a fucking tart every time I’ve watched it over the last two days. Hope Kloppo gives him a run as an 8 because I think we need him, both in the team and in that position. 

Also, you’re spot on about the telly vs Anfield nerves thing. It’s exponentially worse watching it on the box. Horrible. But conversely, when Mo’s goal went in I celebrated more than I have anything while watching on the box since fuck knows when. 

These are great fucking times to be a Red. Roll on Tuesday. 

• Upvote 6

I dont think I could take it again if the footballing gods shit on us again. Surely even they know they broke our hearts letting us get so close to the title in 2014, losing the League Cup Final after clawing our way back into the game against city, letting us take the lead in the Europa League Final before making us collapse and, last season's CL final, where, even if Karius hadnt of cracked, Bale comes on and score an overhead kick worldie. Jesus, I just wont be able to take the heartbreak.

16 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

I dont think I could take it again if the footballing gods shit on us again. Surely even they know they broke our hearts letting us get so close to the title in 2014, losing the League Cup Final after clawing our way back into the game against city, letting us take the lead in the Europa League Final before making us collapse and, last season's CL final, where, even if Karius hadnt of cracked, Bale comes on and score an overhead kick worldie. Jesus, I just wont be able to take the heartbreak.

No only the heartbreak but the fallout will be this team and manager being labelled as bottlers when the fact is quite the opposite. We could finish second having only lost one game, a game that had a contentious possibly game changing decision go against us and also finish on a points total that wins any top league any other time.

Then we'll get the ever so predictable shouts of  is all claiming it's ours next year.

It's at this point I chip in and say it's only a game.   

For what it's worth, I think we're winning in this year.    I can feel it in my water.  Last time I felt like this I was having my prostrate fingered by Harold Shipman.  His phone went just as he was offering me a sleeping draught.  Phew!

3 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Disagree 100% with this sentiment. City squeeze the life out of opponents until they give up and often give them absolutely no chance. As good as we are, teams have more of the ball against us and can often exist in matches far more than against City. It's not a coincidence or a question of trying less or more. That's a bad way of looking at it. 

I disagree 100% with your sentiment. Loads of teams are beaten before they start and have pretty much written the game off.

And Klopp is on my side so there. *thumbs nose*

• Upvote 7

Hendo was always better as a box to box midfielder.  He doesn’t suit playing facing our goal.  He’s done a job for us there and we haven’t exactly done terribly out of it.  He looks less comfortable there than ever now though and it’s mental that we’ve left Fabinho out to play him there.  I think he will be perfectly fine in one of the other midfielder roles.  The only problem for him is that they’re the most rotated and competitive positions.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, stringvest said:

For what it's worth, I think we're winning in this year.    I can feel it in my water.  Last time I felt like this I was having my prostrate fingered by Harold Shipman.  His phone went just as he was offering me a sleeping draught.  Phew!

If we beat Chelsea I think we’ll win it. The pressure and schedule would trip City somewhere.

So much riding on that one in terms of needing them to have no margin for error in the games coming up.

Forget what teams do on the pitch against City, the team selection before the match has even started more often than not shows the "smaller teams" have given up on getting anything from the game and are saving their better players for games they think they have more chance of getting something from.

To a certain extent that's also down to us- we need to create an aura that makes teams think they should save their energy and not bother trying to get anything against us. Will take time.

Just now, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

If we beat Chelsea I think we’ll win it.

The pressure and schedule would trip City somewhere.

just outside the penalty area, but they'd get one anyway. #inforus 

no, I agree - something calamitous will occur.  I just hope it's not the FA Cup that they miss out on. 

• Upvote 1

The other thing I’d say with City - and I know if we don’t beat Chelsea it’s probably all moot - is they’ve not had to scrap much out this past couple of seasons.

They're flying for the most part, so mentally on the odd occasion someone takes the lead or things get tough, they look as stunned as Tyson did by Douglas. “Hang on; this isn’t how it usually works.”

If it gets gritty and needs to be dug out, I feel we’re far more suited to it than them. Just hope we can drag them into deep enough waters for that to tell, by continuing to take care of our own business and letting the pressure build.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, stringvest said:

Scousers give thanks...

6 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Most of the teams City have played in the league recently have all dropped first team players before a ball is even kicked against them if that’s not waving a white flag I’m not sure what is. 

Worse still with Citeh is the media don't even call teams out for their cowardice against them.

Bournemouth really pissed me off....a so called decent footballing team managed by 'bright young English boss' Eddie Howe and they turned in at home for fucks sake, at fucking home, the most cowardly performance I have ever seen (I watched the game)

Everybody behind the ball all game and absolutely no attacking intent - which of course led to the staggering stats of:

0 attempts on or off target

0 blocked shots

0 corners

Nothing at all, at fucking home in a PL game...fucking disgusting effort.

Not so much as a speculative shot from 25 yards that sailed over or nearly hit the corner flag.....not even a scuffed effort straight at keeper that he could throw his hat on....

No corners FFS.

Just absolutely pathetic - and the media/pundits didn't call them out on it at all...it is just accepted and put down to 'what can they do'

What can they do? - they could show some pride and bollocks for a start off....you know for the people paying good money to watch them curl up in a ball and beg not to be hit too hard by the school bully.

They should have refunded every single one of the poor gets who support them who paid to watch that game.

This kind of cowardice against City is becoming both the norm and worse still accepted.

• Upvote 5

• dave u unpinned this topic