You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Klopp: Henderson has the most difficult job in 500 years of Football

tlw content

1 hour ago, viRdjil said:

To be fair, Henderson tends to start the bigger games. He gets rested at times because the quality we have in midfield is pretty even, especially when the worst performing midfielder this season has been the most expensive one. 

Nice to see him score on Friday though, first goal of the season was much needed. Nice to see goals from midfield in general.

I think the boss has this one wrong, he's never compared to Gerrard or expected to do half the stuff he done. The expectations are high and so they should be, he's captain of one the world's elite club's. 

The frustration comes from him not being able or willing to do things Christian Poulsen would do, never mind Steven Gerrard. 

If he's in the team I'm ok with that, if he's out of the team I'm ok with that too. As has been alluded to previously that shouldn't be a scenario that's acceptable for supporters to be meh about the club captain.

Guest Alex_K

Klopp is a great man-manager. He will well know the reaction to Henderson from part of the fanbase; Henderson will no doubt know it himself. Its nice to give him a gee-up in public. He's a good player to have; he's not remotely near the Mane/Salah/Van Dijk/Firmino/Alisson equivalent for his position. There's probably a very strong argument to say he's not at an equivalent level to Fabinho/Robertson/Wijnaldum, too. Of the first 11, that then leaves Trent & Gomez .. both of whom (at 20 & 21) I think have a far higher trajectory in them than Henderson has ever shown - if Gomez can ever get fit that is.

So - he's not one of our better players, and if we ever do manage to get in a midfielder on the David Silva/De Bruyne level (or if Keita ever evolves into that), then he's the one that looks most immediately replaceable in the first 11. But its a squad game, he has great tenacity and fits our system well, so he'll always get minutes here.

12 minutes ago, No2 said:

I think the boss has this one wrong, he's never compared to Gerrard or expected to do half the stuff he done. The expectations are high and so they should be, he's captain of one the world's elite club's. 

The frustration comes from him not being able or willing to do things Christian Poulsen would do, never mind Steven Gerrard. 

If he's in the team I'm ok with that, if he's out of the team I'm ok with that too. As has been alluded to previously that shouldn't be a scenario that's acceptable for supporters to be meh about the club captain.

Meh.

1 hour ago, No2 said:

Unfair to be be compared with Gerrard yet not unfavourably with Poulsen?

34 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Unfair to be be compared with Gerrard yet not unfavourably with Poulsen?

I like a lot of what Henderson does but there times when he receives the ball with time and space and without looking sends it straight back where it came from. That part of his game is comparable to poor/mediocre midfielders, fair enough Poulsen is below the belt, he was the first shit midfielder that popped into my head.

I didn't say it was unfair to compare him to Gerrard, I said nobody does.

2 hours ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

I think it's fair to highlight his limitations as an individual player, but it's clear the job he does is integral to the way Klopp's built this side.

We'd have won the league in 13/14 if he hadn't got that red card.

That wasn't his fault to be fair