You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Porto (H) Champions League 9/4/19

Bjornebye

9 minutes ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

Mo is a fuckin waster and he could cost us games. Not saying he doesn't win us games either but he is beyond ridiculous at times. So frustrating.

Good european win. Tie isn't over by any means but we should hopefully have enough to beat them away from home. 

Even though he did nowt wrong, Lovren still gives me the absolute shits. Prefer Matip there or even better, Gomez.

Well in, Redmen

Sad but true. He was the worst player on the pitch for us today, had a shocker and should have been sent off too. 

Hendo was excellent and encouraging signs once again from Keita. Hopefully he can keep that up now.

58 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Can't expect City to actually play a decent team. 

Having said that Spurs looked better when he was out

Unleash Son

Son looked even better than usual in that spell when Kane was out. It definitely makes the team more unpredictable. 

16 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Not sure how I feel. Part of me thinks we should have gone all out in the first 20 of the second half to put the tie to bed. Part of me thinks its a good result as Porto are a decent side. Part of me is still wondering why Sturridge gets a minute. Part of me thinks Origi is going to be boss for us in the next few years. 

Who are you, like, the "Man in Four Parts"?

Just in case people have turned off.  Jake Humphrey has just confirmed what a raging manc cunt he is.

They we’re talking about no big screen at Anfield means they can’t tell the fans what’s going on.  So McManaman says are you trying to blame Liverpool for VAR.  Humphrey’s then says sarcastically “no nothing is Liverpool’s fault is it.”

Fucking gobshite.

27 minutes ago, skend04 said:

Could and should have had more if it were not for sloppy play up front but that clean sheet is a big plus. Would have preferred the next leg to be a dead rubber but we're in the driving seat which is all you can ask for.

Indeed.

Porto showed that they can muster a threat themselves, but (in the words of the Mexican commentators on the stream I was watching) Van Dijk was impasable.

Get Robbo back for the second leg and we have the option of Meelnerrrrr in midfield. 

• Upvote 1

Strange game. We had spells where we looked like we'd tear them apart just like we did in Porto last season. We also had a lot of spells where we were sloppy in possession and not quite switched on defensively. It made for a bitty game where Porto had some good chances.

As for VAR, there is a feeling that looking at everything in slow-mo from multiple angles is making the most innocuous of situations be deemed to be way worse than they are. Nothing Trent could do when the ball hit his hand from close range. Lovren wasn't trying to handle the ball that hit him on the arm either. He'd gone up for a header behind two other players. The ball missed them and was on him before he could react accordingly. The Porto player who tried to claim he'd been fouled by Trent just fell to the ground and looked for it. Salah was actually being held back when he went for that ball moments later in the Porto box, catching the Porto defender on the leg as he stretched. None of those moments were overturned, but the way the commentators went on and on suggests they were also looking at too many replays in slow-mo and making too much of those situations.

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

Not sure how I feel. Part of me thinks we should have gone all out in the first 20 of the second half to put the tie to bed. Part of me thinks its a good result as Porto are a decent side. Part of me is still wondering why Sturridge gets a minute. Part of me thinks Origi is going to be boss for us in the next few years. 

That’s a lot of parts!

Had to say thought the pen was gonna be given, not to say I thought it was pen but based on the precedent set by the pen the Manx cunts got against PSG. Hendo and Keita were great offensively, tonight Mo looked sharp as fuck but final ball and touch just off. VVD was just imperious, Lovren great too. Good win on to the next one.

• Upvote 1