You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Nightclubs are shit

Remmie

Over priced. Over policed. Full of cunts. Shite music. Shite booze. 

Been out for a mate's birthday after a meal and the second I got there I couldn't wait to leave. You can't talk to your mates, it's actually boring. I'm struggling to see the upsides. We're just so used to it being the only place to get drunk after 11 or fed the lie it's a great place to meet someone. 

Yeah I'm getting old and not supposed to like them but I'm not sure I ever was a big fan. 

Just make all night bars and pubs more common, a thousand times better

• Upvote 13
  • Downvote 1

100% Correct. 

After the debacle of the millenium new years eve i.e. everywhere massively overpriced, shortage of taxis, no shortage of knobheads, a bunch of us decided that was it for clubbing. We'd still go to pubs, but then later on gather at one of the groups house or flat. It was ace, we could drink reasonably priced ale, do drugs in peace, listen to music that we liked and all with the guarantee of no interference from the usual cunts that you find in nightclubs.

Worked for us.

• Upvote 7

Haven’t been in a club for years.

last clubby thing I went to was weatherall at the opera house in Sydney a few years back.

if I could find a club like that it would be boss. No one appeared to be intent on getting shitfaced, the music was superb, and people were just getting down and enjoying it, no pretentious, and weatherall wasn’t in a dj booth up in the sky, but just behind a set of decks like the old days.

the cheating bastard was using cds in the set though.

• Upvote 1

Think it depends what you want a club to be for. I haven’t been to a club night in years, but there was a time when I lived in them - sometimes out as many as four nights a week. For me, clubbing was never about getting pissed or off my head (although that was sometimes a part of it); it was always about the music, dancing and, at times, DJing. 

The right club, with the right tunes and the right crowd is one of the greatest experiences in life if you’re a music head. There’s no room in my life for clubbing anymore - and I wouldn’t fit in even if there was - but I feel a genuine thrill even now at some of my best memories of being in a great club. 

I’ve been to famous clubs, massive clubs and tiny dives; I’ve seen most of the biggest DJs in the world who were playing out in the post-disco golden age of clubbing of the late 80s and into the 90s and also sets played by mates in little back rooms. 

Great nights include Soul II Soul at The Fridge in Brixton (can’t claim to have been to The Africa Centre, sadly), That’s How It Is and Dingwall’s with Gilles Peterson, Metalheadz with Goldie, Renaissance in Mansfield, Golden in Stoke/Hanley, Back To Basics, Vague, Wobble, Cream, Bugged Out and more. These were all about a group of people who shared a love of a particular type of music and wanted to dance to it and, though they’re fewer and further between than they were, they still exist. If I was in my teens or twenties now I’d be getting myself to Deviation, the Co-op revival nights or some place I’ve never heard of because I’m too old and too far removed from that life. 

I fucking love/loved clubbing and always will. Despite all those great/famous places I went to - sometimes regularly, sometimes once - the best feeling for me was always being a regular at Make It Funky in Sheffield while I was a student. It was just a local crowd with local DJs but it felt like “ours” and the tunes were always right. The other great feeling is going to a one off special night, like Winston & Parrot’s occasional soul/modern soul nights back then that would draw a slightly older, more niche (for want of a better word) crowd.  

So in short, I fucking love clubs. Not those shit lowest-common denominator places for people to get pissed and pull though; no, they’re obviously awful and I don’t even think of them as clubbing. A great club though is one of the most deeply personal places on earth if you genuinely love music and dancing and I miss them even now as 50 approaches. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 7

4 hours ago, General Dryness said:

100% Correct. 

After the debacle of the millenium new years eve i.e. everywhere massively overpriced, shortage of taxis, no shortage of knobheads, a bunch of us decided that was it for clubbing. We'd still go to pubs, but then later on gather at one of the groups house or flat. It was ace, we could drink reasonably priced ale, do drugs in peace, listen to music that we liked and all with the guarantee of no interference from the usual cunts that you find in nightclubs.

Worked for us.

Have you ever considered the correlation between you and your mates staying at home and the lack of usual cunts in nightclubs....?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

51 minutes ago, Paul said:

Think it depends what you want a club to be for. I haven’t been to a club night in years, but there was a time when I lived in them - sometimes out as many as four nights a week. For me, clubbing was never about getting pissed or off my head (although that was sometimes a part of it); it was always about the music, dancing and, at times, DJing. 

The right club, with the right tunes and the right crowd is one of the greatest experiences in life if you’re a music head. There’s no room in my life for clubbing anymore - and I wouldn’t fit in even if there was - but I feel a genuine thrill even now at some of my best memories of being in a great club. 

I’ve been to famous clubs, massive clubs and tiny dives; I’ve seen most of the biggest DJs in the world who were playing out in the post-disco golden age of clubbing of the late 80s and into the 90s and also sets played by mates in little back rooms. 

Great nights include Soul II Soul at The Fridge in Brixton (can’t claim to have been to The Africa Centre, sadly), That’s How It Is and Dingwall’s with Gilles Peterson, Metalheadz with Goldie, Renaissance in Mansfield, Golden in Stoke/Hanley, Back To Basics, Vague, Wobble, Cream, Bugged Out and more. These were all about a group of people who shared a love of a particular type of music and wanted to dance to it and, though they’re fewer and further between than they were, they still exist. If I was in my teens or twenties now I’d be getting myself to Deviation, the Co-op revival nights or some place I’ve never heard of because I’m too old and too far removed from that life. 

I fucking love/loved clubbing and always will. Despite all those great/famous places I went to - sometimes regularly, sometimes once - the best feeling for me was always being a regular at Make It Funky in Sheffield while I was a student. It was just a local crowd with local DJs but it felt like “ours” and the tunes were always right. The other great feeling is going to a one off special night, like Winston & Parrot’s occasional soul/modern soul nights back then that would draw a slightly older, more niche (for want of a better word) crowd.  

So in short, I fucking love clubs. Not those shit lowest-common denominator places for people to get pissed and pull though; no, they’re obviously awful and I don’t even think of them as clubbing. A great club though is one of the most deeply personal places on earth if you genuinely love music and dancing and I miss them even now as 50 approaches. 

Can’t believe Bredbury Hall doesn’t make that list. 

2 hours ago, Paul said:

That's awesome that you've had that experience of clubbing mate. I should qualify that the majority of my clubbing has been at places where I hate the music (pop, cheesey pop, dance, trance) where I've been dragged along and perhaps my post is out of bitterness. 

The best one I went to was probably an open air club in Budapest; stunners everywhere, sound systems with loads of different genres (bonkers ones included Croatian rap and something that sounded like a washing machine being pushed down the stairs), getting served quickly, cracking cheap beer and cocktails and open until 6am when we left. On the subway home I woke up on an old ladies shoulder. Now if more clubs were like that I might consider going once or twice a year.

• Upvote 1

I went to Southport college so had to endure the nightclubs there on most weekends in my teens. A club in a Conservative seaside town with no university nearby and in winter months especially is every bit as shit as it sounds. 

Seen a few of my mates sharing a post about Alpine shutting down and how all of them are gutted, even though it stunk of piss and the clientele was mostly middle aged men and lemo dealers trying to shag B-TEC students. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ken Robber said:

I went to Southport college so had to endure the nightclubs there on most weekends in my teens. A club in a Conservative seaside town with no university nearby and in winter months especially is every bit as shit as it sounds. 

Seen a few of my mates sharing a post about Alpine shutting down and how all of them are gutted, even though it stunk of piss and the clientele was mostly middle aged men and lemo dealers trying to shag B-TEC students. 

Haha fucking B-TEC. I'd forgotten about them. Weren't they some kind of jarg qualification for the less academically able?

2 minutes ago, General Dryness said:

I bet you're ace at being a tree. Or simulating fire through the medium of dance.

Indeed I am. It's great when you leave and start signing on as well. Go tell the dole you're proficient in Stanislavkski and Stella Adlers methods, they won't get you making butties in Subway fast enough

• Upvote 1