You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Stevie Wonder

Sugar Ape

It's strange because his really early stuff as a young man/boy, his voice really wasn't very good. An example is a song called 'Sunset' on the album 'Tribute to Uncle Ray'. Not a great sound to his voice.

As he matured his voice blossomed. Michael Jackson seemed to go the other way round. 

Nearly all the best Stevie covers are by women because most fellas can’t hit the notes. There’s a really great Incognito version of this, but it’s not Stevie, is it?

Don’t You Worry ‘Bout A Thing

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, arthur friedenreich said:

That sounds a great gig, seen both live, Stevie wonder was like going to see a hero, Lionel Richie it was more yeah i like the commodores, but my favourite song was after he left, and he was cheesy as fuck in the 80’s.

both were awesome, but Lionel Richie really took the piss out of himself with all the hello stuff - both great showmen, awesome singers, and even the cheesey shit was good in an ironic nostalgic way.

Should be a cracking gig, they should be announcing another 3/4 performers at least as it’s an all day thing so I’m hoping for Michael Kiwanuka or similar.

8 hours ago, Mook said:

Controversial opinion but I find it patchy.

The four or five albums leading up to it are all masterpieces in my opinion.

As said as on the other page I think Innervisions runs it close but SITKOL is in a league of its own imo. Only Motown albums I like as much as it are Let’s get it on and What’s going on.

Been listening to Street songs by Rick James a lot lately as well. Another great album.

3 hours ago, Sugar Ape said:

Should be a cracking gig, they should be announcing another 3/4 performers at least as it’s an all day thing so I’m hoping for Michael Kiwanuka or similar.

As said as on the other page I think Innervisions runs it close but SITKOL is in a league of its own imo. Only Motown albums I like as much as it are Let’s get it on and What’s going on.

Been listening to Street songs by Rick James a lot lately as well. Another great album.

Songs In The Key Of Life is my favourite Stevie album by a mile. I’ve got a first pressing copy on vinyl with a bonus 7” in it. Picked it up for absolute buttons in a charity shop. 

On 30/03/2019 at 10:15, stringvest said:

There are no non-patchy studio albums. But you're right.  He really did stuff no-one had done before.  Melodies and chord progressions that were not of this world at the time.  Complexity and simplicity in the same song - one of the fantastic things about Stevie Wonder's music is it's accessibility - music buffs/technicians and casual listeners alike can appreciate it.  And what a fantastic singer, and what a fantastic keyboardist, blues harp player and arranger.  One of the most talented musicians in history.

I don't know enough about musical arrangements,chord progressions etc to argue against any of that but its interesting he has worked with the great Quincy Jones who is a master of innovative music.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I don't know enough about musical arrangements,chord progressions etc to argue against any of that but its interesting he has worked with the great Quincy Jones who is a master of innovative music.

Yep. And he's a massive influence on Jacob Collier, of whom Quincy Jones says '“I have never in my life seen a talent like this… Beyond category".   Collier does loads of Stevie Wonder covers, and whenever he talks about SW, it's clear how much he loves him.  I think Collier is a genius too.

13 minutes ago, Mook said:

Forgot to post this the other day, watch the kids go fucking nuts...

Sesame Street? He and his musical pals put on a show like that to make a musical masterclass look easy for Sesame Street? With Big Bird? That's fucking outrageous.

Mesmerizing.

19 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Sesame Street? He and his musical pals put on a show like that to make a musical masterclass look easy for Sesame Street? With Big Bird? That's fucking outrageous.

Mesmerizing.

I edited my post as Angry posted that Sesame Street clip on page one, the 'early bird catches the worm' bastard.

1 minute ago, Mook said:

I edited my post as Angry posted that Sesame Street clip on page one, the 'early bird catches the worm' bastard.

I'd better rep his post then.