You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

International (Sections) Draft - FINAL League

Bjornebye

ONE vote for the best side   

8 members have voted

1. 1. ONE vote for the best side

• Dynamite
    • MegadriveMan
    • ViRdjil
    • Alex_K

Please vote for the ONE team you think is the best. 

Do not vote for your own team. Try and give a reason for your vote even if it is just one or two lines. 

Deadline for voting is Monday at 9pm when the victor will revel in all his heavenly glory. 

Dynamite

1745124_RNK_Split.jpg

MegadriveMan

1745136_Liechtenstein.jpg

ViRdjil

1745130_Australia.jpg

Alex_K

1745147_Peru.jpg

Was between MM and Alex. Both strong teams, with the midfields being particularly stand out. One has the better attack and the other a better defence. On balance, i think MM just shades it. They both have decent defenders, so the extra quality he has upfront would tell.

Guest Alex_K

Toldo>Howard

Maicon<Lahm

Koulibaly<Van Dijk

Godin=<Chielini (v hard to split at peak)

Telles<Candela

Fernandinho>Senna

Snejder<Modric

Nedved<Iniesta

Figo>Rui Costa

Totti<Kaka

Falcao>Di Natale

That's probably how I'd split the two teams player-for-player (although I'm not really sure how good Telles could become?). Obviously the formations are different though, which can come into it.

Really fun game anyway. Would be fun to have a points-based, international team variation now that we've done club team.

1 hour ago, Alex_K said:

Toldo>Howard

Maicon<Lahm

Koulibaly<Van Dijk

Telles<Candela

Fernandinho>Senna

Snejder<Modric

Nedved<Iniesta

Figo>Rui Costa

Totti<Kaka

Falcao>Di Natale

That's probably how I'd split the two teams player-for-player (although I'm not really sure how good Telles could become?). Obviously the formations are different though, which can come into it.

Really fun game anyway. Would be fun to have a points-based, international team variation now that we've done club team.

Totti > Kaka IMO.

1 hour ago, Alex_K said:

Toldo>Howard

Maicon<Lahm

Koulibaly<Van Dijk

Telles<Candela

Fernandinho>Senna

Snejder<Modric

Nedved<Iniesta

Figo>Rui Costa

Totti<Kaka

Falcao>Di Natale

Glad it went down well. Yeah an international one sounds good. Lets see who can get the best Armenian player .... 

Guest Alex_K
17 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

Totti > Kaka IMO.

Interesting - do you think so? Kaka won the Ballon d'Or - I don't remember Totti ever really being in contention. Kaka was an absolute menace in those late '00 years. Incredibly fast, incredibly skilful, incredibly incisive. Not least against us in 2 CL finals! He was a huge force behind Milan being such a great European side - my enduring memory of Totti really was him always going missing when it counted for Roma in the big European games (against us in '02, when United routinely hammered them etc.)

He was also the scorer of my favourite ever goal at Old Trafford (when we weren't playing!) >>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13damNjxiPI

Kaka was a wonderful player, but he only ever truly excelled for that Milan side that was arguably one of the best club sides ever, playing in front of Seedorf and Pirlo. Totti carried Roma most of his career. He also did better for Italy than Kaka did for Brazil, excelling in two major tournaments; Euro 2000 and World Cup 2006. 

Ive never been a fan of Totti, might be because i didnt see much not Roma.

As has been mentioned above, think Di Natale lost it for Alex. He may be great, his record is pretty impressive, i just dont view him in my head as an elite goal scorer and i wondered who was going to put the ball in the net.

Guest Alex_K

Very fair point. In hindsight perhaps Lahm was an unnecessary 5 point extravagance! I would definitely recommend anyone interested in watching Di Natale's youtube clips of goals though - he scored some absolutely sensational strikes in huge volume. There's probably a fair bit in him being the "Italian Fowler" - both exceptional strikers at their height who most outside of their own country probably wouldn't know.

On the Kaka conversation .. there's a lot in him that reminds me of Gerrard when Gerrard played that position behind Torres. Absolute physical phenomenon who began to deteriorate massively when the athletic talents faded

16 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

Very fair point. In hindsight perhaps Lahm was an unnecessary 5 point extravagance! I would definitely recommend anyone interested in watching Di Natale's youtube clips of goals though - he scored some absolutely sensational strikes in huge volume. There's probably a fair bit in him being the "Italian Fowler" - both exceptional strikers at their height who most outside of their own country probably wouldn't know.

On the Kaka conversation .. there's a lot in him that reminds me of Gerrard when Gerrard played that position behind Torres. Absolute physical phenomenon who began to deteriorate massively when the athletic talents faded

Had a quick google earlier and is is clear he is much better than i remembered.

A couple of seasons of bagging just shy of 30 in the league.

Guest Alex_K

It's at 6 votes now (forgot to vote previously). It was passive-aggressively shuttled off from the main forum so gets no visibility (presumably there were private complaints sent about the prominence of the thread on the forum??). Shame as there's some real dirge posted, whereas at least this is creative and prompts some interesting football conversation.

1 hour ago, John102 said:

Yeah i think it was one of the last drafts that someone asked if there was a way of blocking the draft thread from the next unread thread option.

Not sure why you would be arsed, but there you go.

Captain Turdseye trying to look all cool.