You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Top 5 Liverpool kits

Tony Moanero

1 hour ago, viRdjil said:

I really like the away kit back then too, but I realise it’s a bit niche...

87D585CA-745F-469F-9479-1B8E9F6880C9.jpeg

Really wasn't keen on any of the 90s kits but that is probably the best of the bad bunch!

78B177ED-6D72-4BC3-A56F-71A38474D672.jpeg

This one is ace - I think the first shirt I had as a kid.  This and the home one are the most iconic for me.

• Upvote 1

Top 5 home kits, 1 by each manufacturer.

Umbro (1977-1981). Deep red. White v-neck collar and cuffs. Gold badge.

LFC78ECFP9.jpg

Adidas (1985-1987). Our first effort from Adidas is still their best, and my overall favourite.

liverpool-home-football-shirt-1985-1986-

Reebok (2001-2003). Our European home kit harked back to the classic Umbro shirt of the late 70s. Much better than Reebok's early efforts for us which were way too baggy yet still chaffed because of the material.

cd5d3ec7de45f49c17eb061873528f3f.jpg

Warrior (2013/14). The best shirt produced by the oddball American brand. We wore this kit during our last title challenge, and it's like a combination of the 80s kits we had by Umbro and Adidas.

WSTM300.png

New Balance (2017/18). Designed to commemorate the club's 125th anniversary, it's an absolute belter combining the best design elements of our best kits together with a deeper shade of red that I would like to see on all our home kits in future.

af84dcf31cfebc123fb24eb193a94d6cc29ed4e6

As I did with the home kit, I'm picking the best away kit by each manufacturer, so there are 5 in total:

Umbro (Late 70s). Classic colours and styling.

football_shirt_3617_2_376x450x0.jpg

Adidas (1987/88). The first of the silver-grey efforts. I just think the Crown Paints logo looks a bit better than the Candy one, and the team that year were absolute dynamite.

Liverpool-Crown-Paints-Away-shirt-1987-1

Reebok (2003/04). Slim picking with Reebok, but I think this one just edges the yellow one from 1997/98 because that one was very baggy and made of that hideous rough material.

away2003-04-3.jpg

Warrior (2014/15 3rd kit). Even slimmer picking with Warrior because they offered up some absolute gash. I've gone for the 3rd kit from 2014/15 even though it's closely associated with a bumming in Stoke, which is not something anybody should have in their memory. The goalkeeper kit was a light grey version of this and I thought at the time that it should be the outfield players' kit instead.

Br8JsWyCEAE0C4-.0.jpg

New Balance (2017/18). The NB away kits aren't all that memorable. I almost went for the lime green effort from the previous year and considered the orange one from 2017/18 too, but the green and white quarters kit is clean and simple.

liverpool-17-18-away-kit-2.jpg

One thing I've noticed is that Adidas seem to make better stuff when they aren't sponsoring us. All their shit design ideas have come about at a time when they were making stuff for us. The early 90s efforts were dreadful. Indeed I think our centenary kit is the worst we've ever had. Big shoulder stripes, horrible badge and shiny material.

30 minutes ago, Trumo said:

One thing I've noticed is that Adidas seem to make better stuff when they aren't sponsoring us. All their shit design ideas have come about at a time when they were making stuff for us. The early 90s efforts were dreadful. Indeed I think our centenary kit is the worst we've ever had. Big shoulder stripes, horrible badge and shiny material.

1985-87 home, away and third were boss. 1987-89 were very good, too. I included a couple of them in my top five, for personal reasons, but aesthetically speaking, Umbro made our best kits.

37 minutes ago, an tha said:

Loved the three of them in that style.

Easily our best 3 in one go IMO and for me exactly what our kits should be - red home, white away, yellow 3rd....and only those colours.

adidas.jpg

I had the home and third shirts and wore the latter until it was threadbare. Never had the away shirt but have always liked it. Looked better worn with black shorts.

7 hours ago, Tony Moanero said:

I had the home and third shirts and wore the latter until it was threadbare. Never had the away shirt but have always liked it. Looked better worn with black shorts.

Yep. White tip black shorts was ace. Didn’t we end up having the yellow top with red shorts and possibly the white with red shorts a couple of times? I think there’s a pic of Kenny in one such outfit.

1 hour ago, rubble-rouser said:

Too early for me to manage a top 5 but I loved our yellow and black away kit from 00/01 as worn in the Michael Owen final.

Yellow and black? It was yellow and navy. We had navy shorts and trim on 3 different away kits in a row back then.

Michael-Owen.jpg