You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Featured: That was the week that was (Mar 16-22 2019)

tlw content

theweekthatwas.jpg

Saturday Mar 16:

I’ve been saying for over 12 months now how much I hate VAR and that it’s the worst thing to happen to football since oil money. I’m having seconds thoughts now. I mean, I hate the idea of it, but anything that stops City from getting all these ridiculous decisions has to be an improvement, right? 

Of course the ideal solution would be if officials just stopped handing them illegal goals and soft penalties, but clearly that’s not going to stop so it’s going to have to be VAR. That was an absolute joke today. Swansea deserved so much more from that game than what they got. I thought they were fantastic, but they got utterly screwed by that prick Marriner (who followed up his pitiful showing at Anfield last week with an even worse one here) and his linesman.

My utter contempt for anything City related is reaching unprecedented levels. It might even be eclipsing how I felt about Ferguson’s United and Mourinho’s Chelsea. I dunno, maybe I’m forgetting just how much I despised them, but this City thing is really bothering me just because of how they’re doing it. I know Chelsea did it too, but it wasn’t against the rules back then. Unpalatable, yes, illegal, no.

Fuck Man City, the absolute pricks. And fuck Guardiola too, the fake nice guy piece of shit. Hate that twat and how loads of people don’t realise yet what a snide he is. Apologising to Swansea and admitting it wasn’t a pen and the winner was offside. Fuck off with your fake apology you insincere baldy bastard. You don’t fool me.

You have to wonder just what the fuck the FA are doing with this VAR thing though. How can you have it at some games and not others? Only at Premier League grounds, which is ridiculous when you consider that virtually every Championship club would have the facilities to use it, especially Swansea who until last year was a Premier League ground. 

It’s a farce, you either have it for all or none. On the bright side, it means an extra game for City I suppose,  but that still left an awful taste in the mouth today.

Sunday Mar 17:

Fulham 1 L 2 The three points are all that matter, especially at this stage of the season, but bloody hell you have to wonder how this game ended up as close as it did. I don’t think there’s been a bigger gulf in quality between us and any opponent this year, yet we needed a late penalty to spare our blushes and keep us in the title race.

It might sound melodramatic, but if we’d dropped two points here I genuinely think that would have been the end for our title bid. We don’t have any real margin for error, and what little margin we have might be required when we play Spurs or Chelsea. You simply can’t drop points against Fulham and their worst defence in Premier League history.

Thank God for Sadio's hot streak and for James Milner’s balls of steel. He’s got more nerve than me that’s for sure. I couldn’t even watch him take it, I ran into my mum’s kitchen and waited to hear my Dad’s reaction before going back in. Yeah I’m a shithouse, but Klopp has turned his back on pens before so I’m in good company.

The goal we gave away was a total clusterfuck with Milner, Van Dijk and Alisson all culpable in varying degrees, but I’m fine with that as the occasional mistake is inevitable. I’m not fine with how wasteful we were in countless great situations. It’s been happening all season and nothing drives me more mad.

I feel guilty that I’ve got such a fucking downer on Mo at the moment. I gave him 4/10 in my ESPN ratings, which on reflection was harsh, but I was just so frustrated with him. The missed chances are one thing, but it’s the all too frequent hideous decision making that’s doing my head in. He’s so desperate to score that it’s completely clouding his judgement now. Without Mané picking up the slack in recent weeks our season would be over. Come on Mo lad, find that mojo again as we need it.

Also today, the youngsters reached the FA Youth Cup final after a 2-1 win over Watford that was just as one sided as the first team game at Fulham. Same score too, which is mad because it should have been about 10-1.

Glatzel scored both goals and could have had five, as could Duncan who will go to bed tonight wondering just how the hell he didn’t score. The lads played really well and deserved a bigger crowd than what they got. But scheduling a game right before the first team are playing was a bit mad. 

The club did that bullshit ‘ticket only’ thing too. I don’t know why, but it’s clear they really don’t want people turning up to these games, which is a shame as I remember being one of around 26,000 who showed up to watch Carra, Owen, little Thommo & co win this back in 1996. They’ll be lucky to get a tenth of that crowd for this year’s final.

This is just a teaser, click to view the full article

Please note that 'the Week that Was' is only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• dave u pinned this topic

Usual quality read and you're spot on about Still Game, it's fucking ace.  Try their earlier stuff, Chewin the Fat.  Some of that is fucking hilarious.  Something to watch during these poxy international football breaks which are about as welcome as a morning after curry fart in a spacesuit.

• Upvote 2

Be careful what you wish for with VAR - I read on the weekend that they will have to "promote" 20 or so "second tier" referees to cover VAR in the Premier League (apparently there will need to be 3 of them watching each game).  So the standard both on and off the pitch will be seriously diluted. 

It'll be sub-Marriner if you like.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, StevieMax said:

Didn't see the Czech game myself, but it must have been bad if you started feeling nostalgic for Poborsky. Or was it the hair and alice band that you missed.

I was desperate for us to sign Poborsky before he went to United. We were playing 3-5-2 at the time and I thought he could have been great at wing back. Mind you, I wanted us to sign half of that team as they were class.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, dave u said:

I was desperate for us to sign Poborsky before he went to United. We were playing 3-5-2 at the time and I thought he could have been great at wing back. Mind you, I wanted us to sign half of that team as they were class.

I must admit that Poborsky was one of the ones who really stood out at Euro 96 - but I think that you'd agree that Berger had the bigger impact in the Premiership.

21 hours ago, StevieMax said:

I must admit that Poborsky was one of the ones who really stood out at Euro 96 - but I think that you'd agree that Berger had the bigger impact in the Premiership.

and in my heart. The handsome bastard.

I called him a handsome bastard on Twitter once and he liked it.

Best day of my life.

• Upvote 2

• dave u unpinned this topic