You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ideas for a short break please

Redder Lurtz

I wanted to spend 4 days canoeing on the River Wye in August with a few mates but they've all backed out and I can't book a solo trip for safety reasons. Looking for ideas on how to spend a few days away from it all, midweek. Can't be arsed hill climbing or anything like that. Just want to do something relaxing and serene. Thoughts? 

33 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

I've been having a look at Scotland. 

The islands around the mainland look good, as do a few of the lochs. Some nice walks and beaches. 

Midges.

However, with Alnwick Castle in mind, walking Hadrian’s Wall might be a thought 

Donkey Hire in Ireland.

I heard about it years ago but never got around to trying it out.

You turn up at some place in the Republic where you are given a donkey, stick and route map.

You walk the donkey from one village pub to the next and natter with the natives on the way.

Most of the pubs on the map have a stable to cater for an overnight stay. When you’ve had a guts-full, dump the donkey,ring the hire company who collect you and return you to your car at the starting position.

If this seems too energetic there's always the obvious; a few days in Amsterdam.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Mook said:

I don't think The Trossachs are that bad for midges, beautiful part of the World too.

Dunno about that. My missus did a marathon walk round Loch Lomond a couple of years back- I went to pick her and her mate up in the evening and was there for half an hour and got absolutely bitten to death. I looked like the Elephant Man the next morning. Little bastards.

6 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Dunno about that. My missus did a marathon walk round Loch Lomond a couple of years back- I went to pick her and her mate up in the evening and was there for half an hour and got absolutely bitten to death. I looked like the Elephant Man the next morning. Little bastards.

At least it earned you some Merrick points.