You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Twitter Way

Pureblood

I've never really understood the unique selling point of twitter. Just seems to be a vehicle for finding out famous people you like turn out to have some obnoxious views you wouldn't have otherwise known about. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

Just the same as adding any links, you tube videos, articles or anything else on here, isn’t it.

Adds to the context of any particular subject being talked about, in the same way as homemade documentaries about sniffer dogs and the like.

I've had my haircut and at least an hour to dwell on my reply, so boy are you going to get it with both barrels.  Make no mistake.

You see, I beg to differ that it's just the same as any links, videos or articles.  When somebody links an article or youtube video, they will typically reference part of it or direct the viewer to a specific point in the video.  Either that or the article/video will speak for itself via the headline.  If it's not your bag, you can just skip past it.  With articles/videos the substance of the content is all there in one handy place.  Whereas with twitter, often you have to click on the thread, bring up a new tab and read through a whole load of 240 character muck to get the gist of what is being said.  

But there's more to it than just that.  Twitter brings with it its own subculture and language.  It forces the reader into thinking like a tweeter.  This, coupled with the sheer volume of links/tweets, makes it an incredibly invasive platform.  Perhaps more so than YouTube, and definitely more than Facebook.  It's not just with this website, either.  Twitter on Match of The Day, twitter on the news, twitter everywhere.  

Sometimes I can see that it's appropriate, like with the Donald Trump thread for example.  Obviously with it being his chosen platform it is highly relevant on that thread.  Good enough for Donny, good enough for TLW.  No problem there.

1 hour ago, Tony Moanero said:

There’s loads of shite on twitter but there’s plenty of boss stuff, too. Twitter, like most things, is what you make of it. Z list celebrities and self important people, who like the sound of their own voice, are easily avoided.

I'm sure it's a great platform in its own right but it doesn't half whore itself around and infest every other part of society. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, TK421 said:

I've had my haircut and at least an hour to dwell on my reply, so boy are you going to get it with both barrels.  Make no mistake.

You see, I beg to differ that it's just the same as any links, videos or articles.  When somebody links an article or youtube video, they will typically reference part of it or direct the viewer to a specific point in the video.  Either that or the article/video will speak for itself via the headline.  If it's not your bag, you can just skip past it.  With articles/videos the substance of the content is all there in one handy place.  Whereas with twitter, often you have to click on the thread, bring up a new tab and read through a whole load of 240 character muck to get the gist of what is being said.  

But there's more to it than just that.  Twitter brings with it its own subculture and language.  It forces the reader into thinking like a tweeter.  This, coupled with the sheer volume of links/tweets, makes it an incredibly invasive platform.  Perhaps more so than YouTube, and definitely more than Facebook.  It's not just with this website, either.  Twitter on Match of The Day, twitter on the news, twitter everywhere.  

Sometimes I can see that it's appropriate, like with the Donald Trump thread for example.  Obviously with it being his chosen platform it is highly relevant on that thread.  Good enough for Donny, good enough for TLW.  No problem there.

I'm sure it's a great platform in its own right but it doesn't half whore itself around and infest every other part of society. 

I’ve had two retweets in this thread so far so I’m winning the debate.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Remmie said:

I've never really understood the unique selling point of twitter.

Microblogging. 

1 hour ago, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

Sounds out of character for Tony, who’s always come across as such a sound bloke

I, for one, am shocked to hear of anything untoward from Tony Bellend. 

I agree that Twitter and social media in general are what you make of it.

The problem is, we are hardwired to crave communication and social media exploits this and turns it into a communication addiction. This has been exacerbated by the emergence of the smartphone. Most of society is now addicted. And addiction is generally not a good thing.

• Upvote 3