You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

International break draft, anyone fancy it?

Bjornebye

5 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

Would be interested to see people's views on most "points-effective" picks in this. Douglas Costa is a good 1; Cafu is a great 3. Fernandinho is a great 1.

These games are very nostalgic & really can throw out some interesting stats when you dig. I knew Di Natale was a goal machine for Udinese. I didn't realise he was the 6th top scorer ever and second only to Totti of players whose careers started in the 1950s onwards (41 goals behind but in 175 less fixtures). Didn't realise Totti was such a goal machine either for that matter, such was his general impotence on the Champions League stage.

Top 2 scorers in modern Serie A history won precisely 1 Serie A and 2 Coppa Italias between them in about 35 combined seasons. A stat for Kane to emulate, if he stays at Spurs & can get up there with Shearer for goals scored!

Bargains:

Deco at 2, Virgil at 2, Toldo at 2, Fernandinho at 1, and obviously Cafu at 3.

Peak Falcao was an incredible player too. I honestly think he could have been as good as Suarez was here or at any big club but inexplicably decided to go to Monaco at the height of his career!

I remember I'd just started a new job in 2012 and was telling this lad I worked with what a player he was and he said he didn't rate him. We then watched the super cup final that night and Falcao tore Chelsea to shreds!  He quickly changed his opinion of him. 

Guest Alex_K

Agree on McNamara & Mendy - had a short list of Mendy, De Boer, Ze Roberto for left back as this went on .. until I realised only Mendy was actually eligible. 

Was Deco ever that good really? Obviously was in the Porto side that won the European Cup (even if they enjoyed an outrageously fortuitous run to the final) but did nothing at Chelsea. Not really one of those 'memorable' Barca midfielders - but when the preceding generation includes Luis Enrique & Guardiola, and you've got Xavi/Iniesta/Busquets coming after you, I guess it's difficult to be memorable!

Toldo only played 28 times for Italy in 10 years. Obviously hard to compete against the phenom that was Buffon, but seem to remember Peruzzi being ahead of him in the pecking order too. Is that wrong?

Worst uses of points?

Guest Alex_K
1 minute ago, MegadriveMan said:

Peak Falcao was an incredible player too. I honestly think he could have been as good as Suarez was here or at any big club but inexplicably decided to go to Monaco at the height of his career!

I remember I'd just started a new job in 2012 and was telling this lad I worked with what a player he was and he said he didn't rate him. We then watched the super cup final that night and Falcao tore Chelsea to shreds!  He quickly changed his opinion of him. 

Peak Falcao was superb. There's a certain Brazilian Emperor who came up in the vowel-draft that I'm amazed noone took here.

26 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

Would be interested to see people's views on most "points-effective" picks in this. Douglas Costa is a good 1; Cafu is a great 3. Fernandinho is a great 1.

These games are very nostalgic & really can throw out some interesting stats when you dig. I knew Di Natale was a goal machine for Udinese. I didn't realise he was the 6th top scorer ever and second only to Totti of players whose careers started in the 1950s onwards (41 goals behind but in 175 less fixtures). Didn't realise Totti was such a goal machine either for that matter, such was his general impotence on the Champions League stage.

Top 2 scorers in modern Serie A history won precisely 1 Serie A and 2 Coppa Italias between them in about 35 combined seasons. A stat for Kane to emulate, if he stays at Spurs & can get up there with Shearer for goals scored!

Van Dijk was pound for pound the best pick IMO 

Deco came Second in the Balon D’or ahead of peak Ronaldinho. He was a very good player but should never have moved to England. Not suited to the game here at all.

I liked Toldo but he was just behind the peak Italian Keepers of his generation in Peruzzi and Pagliuca. About par with Marchegiani imo.

Van Bronckhorst was a great 1 point pick due to his versatility, I was going to take him next then he got snapped up. Douglas Costa, Fernandinho and Cazorla all good too. Lukaku should be considered a good pick but got a feeling he won’t get much love!

VVD, Deco, Toldo and Rui Costa the stand out 2 point players.

Just need your team @Sugar Ape and I'll sort the leagues 

Think this could be the closest draught in a good while. Genuinely think each team has claims. 

Might even just do one 8 team league with each player allowed 2 picks and a deadline for the outright winner to be announced? Thoughts?