You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

International break draft, anyone fancy it?

Bjornebye

Guest Alex_K
3 minutes ago, John102 said:

Interested to see how you set up. Looks very attacking

Do you think so? Senna, Iniesta & Xavi was the great Euro winning midfield: I've subbed Modric for Xavi in that set up - given the 1 player from Barca rule. He's probably the closest player to Xavi. Defense is pretty standard. 2 behind the lone striker whose goal record in Serie A was outrageous.

1 hour ago, Alex_K said:

Do you think so? Senna, Iniesta & Xavi was the great Euro winning midfield: I've subbed Modric for Xavi in that set up - given the 1 player from Barca rule. He's probably the closest player to Xavi. Defense is pretty standard. 2 behind the lone striker whose goal record in Serie A was outrageous.

When you put it like that it doesnt sound that bad, reading the names out 1 by 1, i remember thinking it was outrageous.

Guest Alex_K

Leno is probably better than Given was anyway - so no biggie. Newcastle really had nothing to offer in this .. Shearer started in the 80s and even players like Ginola didn't stay there for too long. A proper 'transition' club if ever there was one.

Just now, Alex_K said:

Leno is probably better than Given was anyway - so no biggie. Newcastle really had nothing to offer in this .. Shearer started in the 80s and even players like Ginola didn't stay there for too long. A proper 'transition' club if ever there was one.

I was thinking that myself about Leno.

Newcastle had no place at all in this draft. Not one player was under consideration.

Guest Alex_K
1 minute ago, John102 said:

When you put it like that it doesnt sound that bad, reading the names out 1 by 1, i remember thinking it was outrageous.

Well if I had of got Viera - missed out on him the round I would have taken him - it would have been attacking even more so. Would have liked to have Viera & Senna holding with 3 Brazilians added to Rui Costa but alas - it was not meant to be. Next time.

11 minutes ago, John102 said:

Does your team add up?

I get to 35 points unless I’ve added the wrong points for a player?

2 minutes ago, John102 said:

I was thinking that myself about Leno.

Newcastle had no place at all in this draft. Not one player was under consideration.

Parma and Lazio should have been included in the picks instead of shite like Newcastle and, strangest of all, Steaua Bucharest. 

1 minute ago, Sugar Ape said:

Parma and Lazio should have been included in the picks instead of shite like Newcastle and, strangest of all, Steaua Bucharest. 

33 max, so you could sub Coloccini in for Ramos if you like.

1 minute ago, Sugar Ape said:

The max is 33 mate

On 21/03/2019 at 13:21, MegadriveMan said:

You will need to make the allowance higher than 30 points? I would say at least 40?

If you pick a player that has played for the clubs but hasn't played at least 100 games for any of them does this mean they are ineligible? 

On 21/03/2019 at 14:01, Sugar Ape said:

I think the club he’s got the most appearances for would count. So if he had 50 games for Valencia and 45 for Barca he counts as Valencia only?

I think 30 points is dead low as well. Be hard making that without some dross in your team. I’ve had to discount about ten boss picks as well cos they made their debut in 88 or 89.

On 21/03/2019 at 14:08, Bjornebye said:

Its only if they have played over 100 games for more than 1 club that both clubs become part of the points tally and are eliminated. Other than that its the club in the draft selections I chose that count. 

I'm happy to make it 35 points, 40 is too high. I was originally going to go with 23 ! 

I'll do the rules thread in the snooker interval. Last frame just started before it. 

Stig said 35 when we were starting the draft which is what I was basing it on? I didn’t even notice he’d said 33 in the rules which is a weird change to make. 

Happy to swap Ramos for Raul Albiol anyway when the next pick is made.

Guest Alex_K

Would be interested to see people's views on most "points-effective" picks in this. Douglas Costa is a good 1; Cafu is a great 3. Fernandinho is a great 1.

These games are very nostalgic & really can throw out some interesting stats when you dig. I knew Di Natale was a goal machine for Udinese. I didn't realise he was the 6th top scorer ever and second only to Totti of players whose careers started in the 1950s onwards (41 goals behind but in 175 less fixtures). Didn't realise Totti was such a goal machine either for that matter, such was his general impotence on the Champions League stage.

Top 2 scorers in modern Serie A history won precisely 1 Serie A and 2 Coppa Italias between them in about 35 combined seasons. A stat for Kane to emulate, if he stays at Spurs & can get up there with Shearer for goals scored!

4 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

Would be interested to see people's views on most "points-effective" picks in this. Douglas Costa is a good 1; Cafu is a great 3. Fernandinho is a great 1.

These games are very nostalgic & really can throw out some interesting stats when you dig. I knew Di Natale was a goal machine for Udinese. I didn't realise he was the 6th top scorer ever and second only to Totti of players whose careers started in the 1950s onwards (41 goals behind but in 175 less fixtures). Didn't realise Totti was such a goal machine either for that matter, such was his general impotence on the Champions League stage.

Van Bronkhorst 1 point...

Or Stigs pick of Jackie McNamara