Quantcast
International break draft, anyone fancy it? - Draft Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content

Welcome to the new and improved TLW!

Some of you may experience issues logging in and will get an 'incorrect password' error. Don't worry, you haven't typed it in wrong and your password hasn't been changed. You will need to reset it though in order to log in. Click the reset password link and you will receive an email with your new temporary password. Once logged in, you need to choose a new password (or restore to your old one) otherwise you will be locked out again.

If you have an out of date email address linked to your account, then you won't receive the new password. If that's the case then you'll need to email me (dave @liverpoolway.co.uk) or send me a tweet @theliverpoolway and I'll update your password manually. 

Any other problems or questions just let me know.

Thanks

Dave

Bjornebye

International break draft, anyone fancy it?

1 minute ago, Alex_K said:

I will play .. although I imagine it'll get much less engagement now its been eradicated from the main forum for whatever reason. Little visibility.

Main forum? The GF is the main forum... 

I’ll play if we’re more strict with deadline for picking your players. I can’t be having 3 days between picks.

Who is in then? Ill get the rules suggestions up if/once we get 8. Definitely can't have a repeat of the delays last time. 8 hour windows max 

I'm going to do the points category. Elite teams 5 points, poorer teams less and a quota of points per team. 

I'll put the thread up in a bit 

12 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

I can probably do this. Off work until Monday as the Mrs is having an operation tomorrow.

How about players that have either gone on loan or made a free transfer as the subject.

That sounds like hard work.

I'd prefer something easy like a player that's kicked a ball.

Im thinking what I said earlier. 

Points if they played have or did play more than 100 games for either club based on the table below (Professional debut must not have been before 1/1/1990, can not have played over 100 games for more than 1 of the below clubs or you forfeit both clubs for that selection e.g.; If Player A played 100 games for Chelsea and 99 games for Inter Milan you lose just Chelsea and 5 points, if he has played 100 for Inter than you would lose 7 points and both sides) :

5 Points, Real Madrid, Barcelona, Man City, Liverpool, Man Utd, Chelsea, Bayern Munich

4 Points, Atletico Madrid, Arsenal, Spurs, Juventus, Dortmund, PSG, AC Milan

3 Points, Ajax, Newcastle, Inter Milan, Roma, Monaco, Napoli, Valencia

2 Points Porto, Benfica, Celtic, Fiorentina, Galatasaray, Marseilles, Leverkusen

1 Point, Everton, Feyenoord, Villareal, Udinese, Shakhtar Donetsk, Basel, Steaua Bucharest

Your team can not exceed 30 points. 

Thoughts? 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Available Subscriptions

• Last Match Report

• Latest Posts

• Jonathan Frakes does an analysis of the Echo's stories about Everton's new ground:    
    • Cheers for the report Dave.  I agree with the above,  we need to settle down earlier and quicker. We also need to watch out for Coutinho's long range shots.  As long as Alisson doesn't stray too far off his line when Coutinho's having a crack,  we should be good.  What a remarkable team this group of lads has become. Klopp is a genius.
    • If there is one Liverpool player who would love to get one over Barcelona more than most it is James Milner.

Part of the Man City squad who were eliminated by Barcelona from the Champions League in back to back seasons (2013/4/2014/5), Milner does not want to make it a hat-trick of defeats.

While the Spanish giants are many people's favourites to win the competition, the versatile veteran believes the Reds can pose them plenty of searching questions of their own.

The Liverpool Echo reported Milner as saying:

"I've played against Barcelona a couple of times before in the knockout stages and not had the greatest success.

"They are a strong team and it is a tough place to go, but I don’t think they will have played too many teams like us.

“It will be difficult. They are a team full of great individual talent and a great side too.

“The Nou Camp is a fantastic stadium and a fantastic place to play with a great atmosphere. 

"It will be very tough and we will have to be at our best.

"But over the last couple of seasons, with the teams that we have beaten in the Champions League, we should go there with confidence, no matter how tough it is going to be.”  

The win over Porto on Wednesday evening saw the Reds progress to the final four of Europe's elite club competition for the second consecutive season.

It is the first time they have achieved such a feat since Rafa Benitez's tenure (2006/7-07-08).

Milner believes it is a sign of all-around improvement by Jurgen Klopp's men.

"It’s great. Doing it back-to-back shows that we are improving as a team and getting to where we want to be.

“It’s not easy. The teams in the semi-finals are completely different to last year but it’s a great a place to be and mission accomplished.”

Milner said he expected a real challenge from Porto in the second leg, but the pleasing thing is that it showed a resilience that has been a real trademark of this squad this season.

"The pressure they put us under from the start, we knew it would be tough but we just ground it out. We defended, we got the chance and once we took it, that helped in terms of the tie.

"We showed different sides to ourselves, defending and showing what we can do depending how the game is. 

"You are not going to play well in every single game. It says a lot about the character within the team.

"In the second half we got some great goals – a great ball from Trent Alexander-Arnold for the second. We are scoring different types of goals as well, from set-plays.

"Virgil (van Dijk) is getting a few now. He was getting a fair bit of stick earlier in the season for not getting enough, now he can’t stop scoring.

Milner is a perfect man to have on board at this time of the season as he has lived through the pressure of a title race.

He knows that his former club will quickly put the disappointment of their heartbreaking Champions League exit behind them and focus on the league which includes getting revenge over Tottenham in the early kick-off on Saturday.

While for Liverpool it is about keeping their mind on the job at hand.

"City are Premier League champions for a reason and I am sure they will react like champions.

“They will go again, but Spurs will have their backs up and will want to go again after getting such a great result to get through. 

"They are two top teams and it will be an exciting game for the neutral.

"We will keep one eye on it but all we can do is influence our games. There are big games coming all over the place, the first thing we have to do is recover for Cardiff.

"There are a lot of tough games coming up and it won’t be easy. We are used to a game every three days and when the pressure is on towards the end of the season, it maybe takes a bit more out of you.

"But the team has been fantastic in terms of how we have dealt with it all. We have got a big game of our own at the weekend that we have to get a result in.”

View full article
    • For many Liverpool fans, a special place in their heart is reserved for Rafa Benitez. The Spaniard brought with him a tremendous managerial pedigree when he arrived on English soil from Valencia in 2004.
        While Liverpool had made important headway under Gerard Houllier, Benitez elevated the squad to a new level, famously winning the Champions League in his first season.

It was not only his tactical nous along with the quality of player he was able to sign which won him plaudits, it was his ability to connect with the supporters which is so important in modern football.

So it is for that reason that when the current Newcastle manager gives his nod of approval to the current man in the Anfield hot seat, you have to give a whole lot of value to his comments.

The Liverpool Echo (via Marca) reported Benitez as saying:

" Klopp is doing a great job at Anfield.   "They are in that position because they deserve it.

"Last weekend I watched the game against Chelsea and they play with an intensity and an impressive level.

“They are a clear contender to win both titles and have the potential to do it."  

Benitez was a master of getting the right result in Europe over two legs, be it against the almighty Barcelona and Real Madrid or Juventus and Inter Milan.

Since his acrimonious departure at the end of the 2009/10 season, the Reds fell off the radar in terms of top flight European football for quite a few seasons.

It has been a methodical build with the German in charge, culminating in back to back Champion League semi final appearances.

While last year's path to the final was captivating and thrilling, the ability to get to the final four while also having a title challenge on their plate adds that extra bit of merit to the achievement.

Rafa's priorities are quite rightly with his Newcastle side at this time, however you get a real sense that his trademark grin will appear if the Reds manage to lift some silverware at the end of this season.

View full article
    • Not quite sure who you are but thanks for the mention.    #HendersonIsBoss 
  • Latest Round Up

• Popular Contributors