You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Klopp: We kept our nerve when it counted

tlw content

Jurgen Klopp admitted that Liverpool were not as convincing as he would like, but says that his teams' title credentials shone through at the end of their 2-1 win over Fulham on Sunday afternoon.

Despite holding a slender 1-0 lead courtesy of a Sadio Mane strike after 26 minutes, the Reds looked entirely comfortable with Fulham rarely threatening and yet another clean sheet looked to be a certainty.

However a catalogue of errors starting with a rash kick by James Milner, and ending with poor communication between Virgil Van Dijk and Alisson saw Ryan Babel pounce and tap the ball home to see the visitors title credentials in serous peril.

However, rather than crumble the team steadied themselves and the ever reliable penalty taker James Milner converted once again from the spot after Mane was fouled by Fulham goalkeeper Sergio Rico.

Speaking after the game to the BBC,  Klopp said the team were still feeling the effects from their Champions League clash with Bayern Munich and ran the risk of dropping vital points due to inability to finish their opponents off.

61617127-jurgen-klopp.jpg

" We started well but lost the rhythm a little bit.

"We could've finished it off in the second half but if you don't kill the game, something like that can happen."

However the manager always had faith that his team could produce when it truly mattered.

"I'm not in doubt about my players' nerve. I always want perfection but it's really rare that you get it.

"People will say we should be more convincing in games like this but this is us. 

"We are in the middle of a development, not at the end.

"At this time of the season, it is all about the end result."

Anyone whom understands the game well enough will be aware that you are not going to be playing your scintillating best every time you take to the field.

Just like at the tail end of a marathon, it is all about getting over that finishing line ahead of your rivals even though every part of your body is screaming for you to stop.

After three consecutive draws away from home, the manager was certainly grateful for the points.

"We want to stay in the title race and that's what we did.

"First is the best position you can be in. City don't look as if they drop a lot of points, so we have to win, to win and to win.

"I didn't see us panic, I liked how we reacted. 

"The penalty doesn't say we are sensational - 10 minutes before the equaliser, we had so many little mistakes.

"But we had a very intense week, going to Munich, coming back, travelling to London, so I'm completely fine.

The large majority of the squad now depart to play for their countries in international week before returning for another crucial clash against third placed Tottenham on the 30th of March.

View full article

It was a massive win.   Doesn't matter how you get the points when you play a league game so soon after a tough champions League away game,  they're very rarely easy.  In years gone by we draw that game. 

Got to feel for my neighbours for those seven minutes between the equaliser and the pen. 

Can't be too armed about VVD or Allison cocking up,  their mistakes are rare and shrugged off immediately,  unlike lesser players who lose their head when they fuck up. 

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Spring said:

I don't know what was worse, the VVD/Alisson clusterfuck or Babel's LFC tribute wig.

There was a mistake at the hairdressers. He asked for something to make him look good for the big match and got something that makes him look like a big match. 

• Upvote 3