You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Why is whitbread getting picked over RAven

Red Nick

Whitbread also went to the states over Raven but whenever i read Dave's reserve reports Raven is the outstanding defender for the reserves

So Why

Just a thought, but maybe Dave isn't the manager and Rafael Benitez is?

...not that I wouldn't take Usher as Manager of course. ;-)

Just a thought, but maybe Dave isn't the manager and Rafael Benitez is?

...not that I wouldn't take Usher as Manager of course. ;-)

Whitbread has been more regular for the reserves, so it`s no great surprise that he got his chance ahead of Raven. The important thing is that Benitez gives young players a chance to prove themselves, and that is a great inspiration for the likes of Welsh,Raven,Foy etc...

Whitbread has been more regular for the reserves, so it`s no great surprise that he got his chance ahead of Raven. The important thing is that Benitez gives young players a chance to prove themselves, and that is a great inspiration for the likes of Welsh,Raven,Foy etc...

Plus he looks like sammi and the millwall players are too thick to realise it isnt him and will think they are playing against an experience pro. :lol:

Whitbread is a year older, has played more reserve games and has been training at Melwood longer.

Raven has been better than him this season in the reserves in my opinion, but apart from anything else they're totally different players. Zak is left footed and can play left back. He's also dominant in the air. Maybe that's what Benitez is looking for against Millwall?

Raven't turn will come, but Zak has been around the squad for a while and deserves a chance.

I thought Whitbread had very little to do - certainly not enough to make a decent judgement. I thought Potter had some decent touches - particularly for Milan's second - but bottled a number of 50-50 challenges. I know he was playing out of position, but he looks light-weight to me. Early days, though.

I thought Whitbread had very little to do - certainly not enough to make a decent judgement. I thought Potter had some decent touches - particularly for Milan's second - but bottled a number of 50-50 challenges. I know he was playing out of position, but he looks light-weight to me. Early days, though.

As a right midfielder Darren Potter is average, even in reserve games he can look average. In the centre, he's a different player entirely. Tackling isn't his strong suit, but he's elegant and classy on the ball. Next round I hope he plays in the middle.

John Welsh would have loved that tonight though, he loves a tackle does Welshy.

agree with that paul - he looked efficient but it was hard to make a proper judgement because he didn't have much to do. igor was the star for me, and it was nice to see djimi dishing it out to a few of their players, can't think of a time I've seen him so aggressive. makes me like him a lot more for some reason.

But he never made any other mistakes, and TBH i thought he was better than Henchoz, i can see why he cannot get back in the 1st team.

Thought Henchoz played very well indeed. Had it not been for Baros I'd have made him man of the match. Josemi and Igor both played very well too.

Thought Henchoz played very well indeed. Had it not been for Baros I'd have made him man of the match. Josemi and Igor both played very well too.

I thought Josemi's positioning was better than of late and his timimg was spot on too, but when he was helping out the attack he was getting skinned for pace by first division players at times, which is bad.

I'm not sure what people are basing their assessment of Whitbread on. I can only remember him doing one thing of note, which was putting right his own mistake after he gave the ball away. He had nothing else to do.

Off course it`s way to early to judge Whitbread... But what he did was very good. Playing alongside Henchoz made it easier for him, but i think his positioning was very good, he won the header leading to the opening goal and besides the one bad pass he was faultless. You can`t ask for more on his debut.

Henchoz was also good, but i thought he needlessly gave away free kicks in dangerous positions, and set pieces was the only way Millwall could snatch a goal...

Picking a man of the match for me is hard, because it was a strange match, with mostly tackles flying in. Igor was good, i think Warnocks workrate was immense and deserves some praise. Stephane hold the back four together well, Baros for his two goals...but under the circumstances i would pick Whitbread, because on his debut he played like a experienced player and did everyhing we could have asked of him and then some!

For me, The Pong was all fancy dan footwork and no end product whatsoever. Ranm down multiple blind alleys and tried to take on the world on his own.

It's funny, cos he's only like that when he can see the goal, when he's in the middle of the park his awareness is fantastic but something happens when he catches sight of net that prevemts him from passing or even looking up.

For me, The Pong was all fancy dan footwork and no end product whatsoever. Ranm down multiple blind alleys and tried to take on the world on his own.

It's funny, cos he's only like that when he can see the goal, when he's in the middle of the park his awareness is fantastic but something happens when he catches sight of net that prevemts him from passing or even looking up.

Sounds like some peoples opinion of Milan Baros.....

Sounds like some peoples opinion of Milan Baros.....

You're not wrong. Fucking does my head in the way that "Baros isn't aware" myth is constantly regurgitated by jerks such as Robbie Earle!

Fuckin ROBBIE EARLE!!!! Who the fuck is "Robbie Earle" anyway?!? I'm sure he was in the Drifters.

Any man who can't speak without slobbering and picking his arse then sniffing his finger should not be in media surely? I thought that was a given, but clearly the times they are a changin'.

See also that dick-nose Andy "I'm a cunt who talks out of my nose... and my arse" Townsend.

I fucking hate Andy Townsend, he's just shit at everything! And I mean everything. I bet he can't even wipe his arse without being mediocre at it. I bet you even back in school everyone hated him and called him names like "Gonzo", "shit-boy" and "cunt". And if they didn't then they should have done and they bet they all wish they had now, expecially when he whines on endlessly through his nostrils about Baros' "blinkers".

I'd like to break his broken nose... with Robbie Earles face.

I thought Henchoz was rubbish myself, and, based on that performance, I can see why he's been banished. He looked even slower than usual, and constantly played aimless long balls to no one - unlike Whitbread whose passing was generally more cultured and effective.