You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Best Liverpool XI 2000-2019

No2

20 minutes ago, No2 said:

Alisson, Robbo, Virgil, Gerrard and Suarez are all guaranteed unless you're a bad egg. 

Alisson

Trent 

Sami

Virgil

Robbo

Gerrard 

Alonso

Masch

Salah 

Suarez

Torres

Hamann in for Masch for me. A much better footballer. Also i’d take Carra over Hyypia.

Alisson

Carra

Van Dijk

Babbel

Robbo

Hamann

Alonso

Gerrard

Salah 

Suarez

Torres

Just now, viRdjil said:

Hamann in for Masch for me. A much better footballer. Also i’d take Carra over Hyypia.

Alisson

Trent 

Sami

Carra

Robbo

Hamann

Gerrard 

Alonso

Salah 

Suarez

Torres

Put VVD in there, right now or I'm going to hold my breath and turn blue. I'll fucking do it. 

3 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Honestly, if I was picking it on ability, I'd put Gomez next to VVD. He's going to be a fucking monster.

Thats the reason I picked Trent ahead of Finnan or Babbel.  He will be the worlds best right back in a couple of years.

1 minute ago, viRdjil said:

I have, it was a mistake... Babbel is a great shout too.

*GASP* Fucking hell, mate. You could have been a bit quicker, like. I started to see the afterlife. 

1 minute ago, No2 said:

Thats the reason I picked Trent ahead of Finnan or Babbel.  He will be the worlds best right back in a couple of years.

I think our back five right now is a fucking great thing. We are still a bit lacking in midfield, but we will fix that. A bit of depth up front and we will have a fucking team. A team that fucks other teams. 

Owen has to be in the team, I know he made himself unpopular with some of his career choices but in his pomp he was fucking incredible. Not sure who I'd drop for him though, perhaps Salah though dropping Torres would make it a bit more balanced up front. 

Guest Alex_K

Trent is a league above Finnan. Finnan was a decent journeyman top-4 fullback; TAA would leave him in the dust then curl in a devastating 25 yard cross.

42 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

Trent is a league above Finnan. Finnan was a decent journeyman top-4 fullback; TAA would leave him in the dust then curl in a devastating 25 yard cross.

Finnan played to a 7 out of ten in most games.

TAA is horribly inconsistent at the moment. You never know just how brilliant or absolutely awful he'll be. Hopefully consistency will come with experience, but that isn't 100% guaranteed either. 

2 hours ago, No2 said:

Pretty sure the thread specifies 2019 being the cut-off.

Can't go getting your crystal ball out or going off a players 2025 championship manager ratings. 

1 hour ago, El Rojo said:

Finnan played to a 7 out of ten in most games.

TAA is horribly inconsistent at the moment. You never know just how brilliant or absolutely awful he'll be. Hopefully consistency will come with experience, but that isn't 100% guaranteed either. 

Trent is like a golfer that hits it miles. If he's a millimetre off it looks terrible because of the force he puts into his passes and crosses. His decision making on when to go or stay can be a bit ropey but that will improve with games.

1 minute ago, Aventus said:

Pretty sure the thread specifies 2019 being the cut-off.

Can't go getting your crystal ball out or going off a players 2025 championship manager ratings. 

Fair point, I'm probably justifying something I don't need to. He's already better than Finnan, you could make a case that he hasn't reached the levels Babbel did but we didn't see enough if him unfortunately. 

2 hours ago, Alex_K said:

Finnan was a terrific player who would have got into any team in the league at his pomp. He was a 7 in pretty much every game. If i was judging it right now; then i'd have him ahead of taa.

Having said that in terms of ability, taa has it in his locker to be the best in the world. Finnan was never world eleven good.

Guest Alex_K

Finnan was a journeyman good defender who played for Portsmouth, Espanyol and Fulham besides ourselves. 1 goal in 145 games. He played in teams that routinely got in the 60s-points wise when he played for us, with 1 season in the early 80s and 1 in the 70s. Nobody was knocking at the door for Steve Finnan. He was a good but limited piece of a well-drilled team; he was not terrific.

The defence practically doesn't concede a goal in any game TAA plays in. And I mean, it almost literally does not concede a goal. Our statistics with TAA (& Gomez) in the defence are obscene - when they are out, we do regress some. When he's out of the team we start to look exposed, both defensively and in attack. He's so strong athletically that a lot of what he does probably goes unnoticed - but he's really a beast. Loved Rafa, but his sides did well in Europe and domestically by keeping it tight - 08/09 aside, when Finnan wasn't a fixture and we started beasting whoever we played without employing regressive tactics & nicking it to do it.  Now we go anywhere and boss anyone. People are sleeping on just how good a lot of our players are. This is a historic Liverpool team we are currently having the privilege of watching: it's the greatest Liverpool side in 30 years.