You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Bloody Sunday Trial

Bjornebye

Lots of uproar about one of the Para's going to court over this. It shouldn't just be him, the fucking lot of them who were there that day should be and should have been years ago. This video below is chilling. Murder, plain and simple. 

• Upvote 1

Horrible corrupt establishment. They and the Hillsborough families have close ties and formed a close friendship.

Was in Derry last year and found the people lovely. Got told they are mass bouycotting the s#n and found this.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/media/greenslade/2016/oct/05/could-derrys-hillsborough-vote-on-the-sun-start-a-ball-rolling

• Upvote 1

Loving the tory MP who are ex army excuses and reasoning he should face charges 

It was ages ago, a mistake and he shouldn't be punished for that. 

So Er I guess that means all these old SS guards shouldn't have been tried years later either. If the government hadn't closed shop for years and gave a fuck wjen it should it wouldn't be nearly 50 years later. Still fully expect a closed shop at the top and for him to walk, same as Hillsborough 

1 hour ago, Lee909 said:

Loving the tory MP who are ex army excuses and reasoning he should face charges 

It was ages ago, a mistake and he shouldn't be punished for that. 

So Er I guess that means all these old SS guards shouldn't have been tried years later either. If the government hadn't closed shop for years and gave a fuck wjen it should it wouldn't be nearly 50 years later. Still fully expect a closed shop at the top and for him to walk, same as Hillsborough 

It was Bob Stewart and his comments were scandalous. A long time ago a young man went and served his country. Yes Bob, and he murdered innocent people!

I cannot condone the actions of those soldiers in any way on that day. Undoubtedly their actions caused more loss of life and worse tensions as the years went by. 

There are clear rules for opening fire for military personnel, I know I still have mine. Unfortunately terrorists don't have those rules, don't wear uniforms and don't respect any lives. What is now lost (because it's not like the xbox) is just how difficult serving in an area like that is, and it was considerably more difficult then than it was when I served there, and shit it was 'busy' when I was there.

None of that of course should in any way excuse the army for not taking action against these men 'at the time' as there can be no excuse, while it may be a difficult and dangerous job you never lower yourself to the level of terrorists, they and they alone enjoy killing innocent civilians. 

I can understand the anger on both sides, but justice should be done no matter the time that has passed. 

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Captain Marvel said:

None of that of course should in any way excuse the army for not taking action against these men 'at the time' as there can be no excuse, while it may be a difficult and dangerous job you never lower yourself to the level of terrorists, they and they alone enjoy killing innocent civilians. 

Outstanding post, thie part I've quoted I find particularly relevant here, as this is exactly the kind of thing that the right wing media is already trying to whip up. 'Why are we prosecuting soldiers for doing their duty nearly 50 years ago?'. Their duty was never to cold bloodedly kill and injure innocent unarmed civilians!

Bob Stewart and his ilk acting like they've never heard of the Geneva convention!

Sadly, this kind of thing will always happen when you have military personnel supposedly policing a civilian population, with unidentified threats in their midst. There's a reason so many soldiers coming back from such scenarios suffer post traumatic stress disorder, as the body is always on high alert, and is prone to confusion due to the familiarity of a normal everyday environment, juxtaposed with the extreme danger. The human brain fails under those strains, and as in Vietnam, once the shooting starts, madness always follows, and massacring innocent civilians is usually the aftermath.

None of that excuses the actions in any way, and justice must be done, but I wouldn't want to do that job for all the money in the world. If anything, I'd say my ire was more for the people who created the scenario, and tried to cover it up afterwards.

• Upvote 1

Surely it should be the person who thought it would be a good idea to use the parachute regiment in the first place. I have sympathy with the troops on the ground as they followed their training. Saying that, there are crazy bastards in all walks of life and obviously the army would attract quite a few.

14 minutes ago, Ben Sherman said:

Surely it should be the person who thought it would be a good idea to use the parachute regiment in the first place. I have sympathy with the troops on the ground as they followed their training. Saying that, there are crazy bastards in all walks of life and obviously the army would attract quite a few.

They were trained to open fire on unarmed civilians? 

And yes they should never have been in a foreign country in the first place. 

• Upvote 1