You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Fries vs Chips

Pureblood

Fries vs Chips  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Choose one...

57 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Or just do the right thing and live near a chippy.

Sam's made me the man I am today. 

Precisely. Good chippy chips > everything else.

Actually, I’d love to own a chippy. Menu wise I’d keep things pretty basic but a little more upmarket than most chippies. Cod or haddock, homemade pies (meat & potato, steak & kidney, vegetarian option), proper sausages (not those cheapo ones) - battered and unbattered, decent curry, gravy and homemade mushy peas. 

Anyone asking for a “chip roll” would be given a swift kick in the bollocks and thrown out.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Mook said:

Mainly because it doesn't involve 15 minutes of chopping tatties up, 10 minutes of boiling them & then having to cover the things in oil & seasoning.

That's at least 25 minutes wanking time gone.

"Mook lashes oven chips up his hoop"

Bob Dylan - Staten Island, 1967 

1 hour ago, The Woolster said:

My one works really well, chips area bit like like an armadillo, crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside...

Takes about the same amount of time as doing in the oven (when you include doubling the time), and taste much nicer. Making chips from scratch (no need to boil the potatoes) its about 35-45 minutes, and uses only a little bit of oil, so not too unhealthy.

It also advertises itself as being able to do all sorts of food. I only attempted this once, doing some chicken with various veg, and it worked pretty good too.

If doing chips you can get away with wiping it with kitchen paper to clean it, which is nice and easy.

One issue is it is very loud.

My one is big though (have an XL version), you probably don't want to keep in on the worktop unless you are using it every day, so need space to store it. I do go through stages of not using it, but unlike some kitchen gadgets, its not hidden away for ever and in fact have used it 3 or 4 times this couple of weeks as the wife has been ill in bed so wanted to do hassle free cooking

Any chance we could have this information  in the form of a graph or venn diagram? 

• Upvote 2

I like both, depending on the circumstances.

Fries are the perfect accompaniment to a burger or hotdog or as part of moules frites.

Chips are ace from the chippy, with a pie or in a butty. 

Choosing between the best of each? Chips just edge it. Preferably from a chippy in Hull served with a patty and peas. I'm also a big fan of the chip spice every Hull chippy has on the counter. 

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, Karl_b said:

Fries are the perfect accompaniment to a burger or hotdog or as part of moules frites.

Choosing between the best of each? Chips just edge it. Preferably from a chippy in Hull served with a patty and peas. I'm also a big fan of the chip spice every Hull chippy has on the counter. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRyzcRomCg_2OagpMnOoJe

7 hours ago, Hank Moody said:

You don't comprehend the notion of lunch? Allow me to enlighten you, via the concise record of the English Language, the Oxford English Dictionary. 

Lunch: A meal eaten in the middle of the day, typically one that is lighter or less formal than an evening meal.

Hope this helps you decipher the very tricky standard English code that I posted earlier. 

You're reading the wrong page,you are describing dinner.

45 minutes ago, Karl_b said:

Chip spice is TURD.

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Karl_b said:

Patties are brilliant; so simple yet so tasty.

20 minutes ago, Remmie said:

Aussies have the option to put onion vinegar on their chips. That I like. They can also add chicken salt which is no good to me as a vegetarian, though I'm a little confused about what that means. 

Is it made out of chicken sweat or what? 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Remmie said:

Aussies have the option to put onion vinegar on their chips. That I like. They can also add chicken salt which is no good to me as a vegetarian, though I'm a little confused about what that means. 

Chicken salt is veggie I think Rem.

It was originally a salt and spice mix that someone put on a roast chicken, then some other cobber thought it would be good on chips and history was made.

You've missed out.

21 minutes ago, The Woolster said:

Huh, onion vinegar is a standard option here too, isn't it? Maybe its a southern thing, but I thought Milton Keynes is in the south?!

Yeah MK is in Buckinghamshire, but never seen anywhere do onion vinegar in the UK. If its starting to catch on I'm getting a semi

10 minutes ago, Remmie said:

Yeah MK is in Buckinghamshire, but never seen anywhere do onion vinegar in the UK. If its starting to catch on I'm getting a semi

Its not something I have looked for in every chippy I go to, but onion vinegar has been an option for as long as I can remember. It is just the vinegar used in the pickled onion jar, you may have to ask for it, but  I reckon it is often the main option.