You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gunes: Karius does not really feel part of Besiktas

tlw content

Besiktas manager Senol Gunes has questioned the enthusiasm that Loris Karius has for the game after the Liverpool loanee produced a substandard performance for the Turkish giants on the weekend.

The woes of Karius at Liverpool have been well documented, none moreso than in the harsh spotlight of the Champions League final against Real Madrid last May.

After that moment, it was clear that Karius needed to get away from the club, more so for his own mental state that anything else.

In the aftermath of his calamitous performance, Jurgen Klopp made a passionate defence of his player.

Despite displaying the loyalty which is one of his trademarks, in his heart of hearts, Klopp knew a world class keeper had to be brought in.

loris-karius.jpg

The summer signing of Alisson saw Karius go on loan to Besiktas where the German would have hoped to rebuild his career away from the bright lights of one of the top leagues in the world.

However it has not been a happy arrangement for both parties, with reports as early as October saying that Beskitas wanted to cut the loan short immediately.

While that did not eventuate, more poor performances have transpired, to such a extent that Gunes has publicly slated him.

The Liverpool Echo has reported the manager saying that he would drop the loanee if he could after he conceded a soft goal in the first half of their 3-2 win over Konyaspor on Sunday.

The 25 year-old was heckled by his own fans and reportedly asked to come off at the interval.

Gunes bemoaned the unavailability of reserve goalkeeper Tolga Zengin for the clash saying that he would have replaced Karius if he was on the bench.

Alarmingly, the veteran manager also questioned the enthusiasm that Karius has for the game.

"He was at fault for the goals he conceded. Karius has gone a bit stagnant, something is wrong with his electricity, motivation, enthusiasm for the game. He does not really feel a part of the team.

"It has been like that since the beginning and it's something we haven't been able to work out and, of course, I am partly to blame for this.

"He is talented but something is wrong and we have a problem.

960.jpg

In this day and age of teams looking to keep everything in-house and control the narrative, it is a ruthless opinion that the veteran Turkish manager has made public.

Besiktas currently sit in third position in the Turkish Superliga, but are 13 points behind leaders Istanbul Basaksehir with just nine games remaining.

They have also conceded more goals (36) than Bursapor (28), Goztepe (33) and Buyuksehir Erzurumspor (34) who currently occupy 15-17th on the table respectively.

Being loaned out can work both ways for a player.

If it is a success, confidence builds and helps pushes them to the next level as we have seen many times in the past.

Conversely, if the player struggles, they run the risk of becoming of football 'journeymen' bouncing from one club to another, and never really fulfilling their true potential.

It seems that Loris Karius looks to be entering the latter category.

While he obviously made his share of mistakes in a game situation for the Reds, it would certainly be unfair to hold that against him on a personal level.

Let's hope finds some happiness in wherever he ends up playing next, or whatever he ends up doing away from the football pitch.

View full article

He's an Internet model who pretends to be a goalkeeper to earn a decent crust. That's the reason he has no passion or ability for the game as it's not what he really wants to be doing.

The very definition of the unflushable turd.

These articles that Dave has taken to posting are daft.

The entire point of the forum is irreverent commentary that is not provided elsewhere, be it the article itself or the comments.

Who gives a shit what Gunes thinks?

We want to read Dave rip him to pieces and then comment on his comments.

Whenever I've shown the forum or, back in the day, the fanzine to non-Liverpool fans they would always piss themselves at the captions and the paranoid, crazed, ridiculous sheer tribalness of the diary.

• Upvote 4

"While he obviously made his share of mistakes in a game situation for the Reds, it would certainly be unfair to hold that against him on a personal level.

"Let's hope finds some happiness in wherever he ends up playing next, or whatever he ends up doing away from the football pitch."

Fuck that.

Tell you what, imagine if the loan deal was cancelled and we bring him back - bring him home - and he trains with Alisson and Mignolet during a surge for the title and Number 6.

The title is achieved and Mignolet breaks a finger the week before the Champions League Final against Barcelona.

Karius makes the bench.

A tense, largely dull game, not the shoot-out people had predicted.

89 minutes gone, corner to Barcelona.

'Oh no! Is Alisson signalling to the bench, Clive? Is he signalling to the bench? I think he is, I think he is you know. He's gone down clutching his hamstring, Clive. This is absolutely sensational.'

Head bobbling, Jordan Henderson signals the universal gesture for 'a substitution needs to be made' to the sideline.

Loris Karius tapes his fingers, puts on  his gloves. The stricken Alisson meets him at the sideline, limping past and offering him his best.

'Ho, ho, ho...fitba, eh?' chuckles Andy Gray. 'Would yew beleev this? What a moment fir the boy.'

The German custodian runs on to field, punching the palm of each gloved hand with the opposite fist. High fives from team-mates, claps and back-slaps.

Jordi Alba places the ball down the for the corner, steps back.

MAKE US DREAM.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

15 minutes ago, Remmie said:

Sorry but there is no way I am having "eventuate" as a real word. Fuck that. 

Came across it in an anagram puzzle years ago and was so pleased with myself I used it as a password for a while. ( not on here ). It means to just happen or crop up. Bit like erections at my age !

2 hours ago, Remmie said:

Sorry but there is no way I am having "eventuate" as a real word. Fuck that. 

May I offer you my most enthusiastic contrafibularities. I'm anaspeptic, phrasmotic, even compunctuous to have caused you such pericombobulation.

4 hours ago, El Rojo said:

Tell you what, imagine if the loan deal was cancelled and we bring him back - bring him home - and he trains with Alisson and Mignolet during a surge for the title and Number 6.

The title is achieved and Mignolet breaks a finger the week before the Champions League Final against Barcelona.

Karius makes the bench.

'Oh no! Is Alisson signalling to the bench, Clive? Is he signalling to the bench? I think he is, I think he is you know. He's gone down clutching his hamstring, Clive. This is absolutely sensational.'

Head bobbling, Jordan Henderson signals the universal gesture for 'a substitution needs to be made' to the sideline.

Loris Karius tapes his fingers, and gets ready to put on  his gloves. The stricken Alisson meets him at the sideline, limping past and offering him his best.

'Ho, ho, ho...fitba, eh?' chuckles Andy Gray. 'Would yew beleev this? What a moment fir the boy.'

Kloipp turns to the German custodian and says "Loris lad, can Millie borrow those gloves.

James Milner runs on to field, punching the palm of each gloved hand with the opposite fist. High fives from team-mates, claps and back-slaps.

MAKE US DREAM.

Karius makes the bench.

Loris Karius tapes his fingers, and gets ready to put on  his gloves. The stricken Alisson meets him at the sideline, limping past and offering him his best.

Kloipp turns to the German custodian and says "Loris lad, can Millie borrow those gloves.

James Milner runs on to field, punching the palm of each gloved hand with the opposite fist. High fives from team-mates, claps and back-slaps.

MAKE US DREAM.

1 hour ago, TheHowieLama said:

Karius makes the bench.

MAKE US DREAM.

Been at the sherry ?