You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool 4 Burnley 2 (Mar 10 2019)

tlw content

dave_usher.jpg

Report by
Dave Usher

This could easily have gone badly wrong but it didn’t. The players overcame an unjust early setback and got the job done, and in the process stuck it to the rest of the country, most of whom are desperate for us to come up short. If we pull this off it will be the sweetest victory we’ve ever had.

All the lads can do now is keep winning and hope for a break that at this moment in time just doesn’t look like coming. Things can change though, we have to cling to that. City have a difficult April so we just have to apply pressure and hope they crack.

Klopp said afterwards that we aren’t going away and let’s hope not. It only takes one bad week and everything can turn to shit. Look at Spurs - they’ve gone from being in a title race to looking like they might even end up sixth. There’s no margin for error at the top, but that goes for City as well as us.

This team deserves better than all this recent talk of “bottling it”. After 30 games they’ve lost once, they have equalled the club record for points won at this stage of the season and are only one point behind a team that has been labelled the greatest ever by some.

The form hasn’t been great since the turn of the year and that’s a concern, obviously, but even on their bad days they haven’t been losing, which is why it’s unfair to talk about bottling it. Spurs have shit the bed massively and had far less accusations of bottling than our lads. I guess when you’re Spurs it’s to be expected so no-one even bats an eyelid anymore.

The main problem we have is the away form, as at Anfield we’ve been damn near flawless. Barring the Leicester game (a result that was heavily influenced by poor refereeing, let’s not forget) and the rather fortuitous draw with City we’ve been perfect at home. A look at our remaining fixtures sees us with four at Anfield and four away. The away games aren’t exactly the toughest on paper (particularly looking forward to Rafa sending out the youth team against us in May), so that gives cause for optimism. 

So as long as we can get back on track away then that could make all the difference. I don’t know if that will happen because it’s so hard to get a handle on this team at the moment. Just when it looks like they’re back in the groove they’ll go and draw a blank somewhere. Everton are as bad as any side we’re likely to face and we couldn’t beat them. They were supercharged and powered on bile that day though, something we won’t have to face from the likes of Fulham and Southampton.

Of all the fixtures we had left, the Burnley one was one of the more difficult ones because we never find it easy going against them. It’s always a slog, but this was pretty straightforward in the end, the late scare notwithstanding.

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full article

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• Upvote 2

• dave u pinned this topic

"someone will eventually end up being hit for three or four by (Salah), probably Fulham next week"

Oh FFS. Fulham now nailed on for our second defeat of the season.

But in fairness, you're right about Alisson's booking. Utterly disgraceful. I was almost choking on my (surprisingly good) hospitality full english. I've truly never seen anything like that. Unbelievable. The booking that is, not the full english. 

Oh and Adam Lallana. Superb performance. MOM before half time.

• Downvote 1

Not just who you play it’s when you play them, isn’t it.

That 3 game run of Spurs, Southampton away then Chelsea may well be where it’s won and lost now. We have loads to do before we can say over to City and their own tough period.

If we come through those then the pressure on City during a fixture pile-up in April has every chance of telling...we’ve seen them succumb to it before.

If we don’t, they can face those games against the likes of Spurs and United without anything like the same difficulty.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, rb14 said:

"someone will eventually end up being hit for three or four by (Salah), probably Fulham next week"

Oh FFS. Fulham now nailed on for our second defeat of the season.

But in fairness, you're right about Alisson's booking. Utterly disgraceful. I was almost choking on my (surprisingly good) hospitality full english. I've truly never seen anything like that. Unbelievable. The booking that is, not the full english. 

Oh and Adam Lallana. Superb performance. MOM before half time.

Negged for no pic of the fry up.

Keep the pressure heaped on them while they've got a more hectic schedule than us.  At some stage that run of games they have is going to take some sort of toll and they'll have a bit of a lull somewhere.  Especially after midweek European games.  As long as we take care of our end of the business, we live in hope that at least a couple of their opponents grow a fucking pair and at least have a go back at them.  The harder it's made for those cunts, the better for us.

And the resurgence of the Salford cunts could have come at a handy time for us too.  I can't see the Goblin's mob taking their foot off the gas because they'd prefer their noisy neighbours to win it.  Quite the opposite.  They'll fancy their chances too.  Who'd ever have thought we'd be cheering those fuckers on in a match ?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, scudger99 said:

And the resurgence of the Salford cunts could have come at a handy time for us too.  I can't see the Goblin's mob taking their foot off the gas because they'd prefer their noisy neighbours to win it.  Quite the opposite.  They'll fancy their chances too.  Who'd ever have thought we'd be cheering those fuckers on in a match ?

United are also in a dogfight for the CL places, and even though their fans would probably prefer City to win the title ahead of us, the team will be desperate to take something from that game.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, skaro said:

Don't we only have one League game (Fulham away next week, while City are in the Cup) before City play again?

Isn't it then City away to Fulham on March 30... and us v Spurs on March 31?

Yep.

If we’re still only a point behind after the Chelsea game on 14th April then I reckon we’ve got a great chance. I can’t see us getting through the next 4 games unscathed though.

• Upvote 1

Nice to see the media or the Premier league have too zero interest in Watford leaving out seven players for a match in the best league in the world., yet we play a weakened side in the cup and get slaughtered for it.

No doubt the media will also say fuck all when we play Cardiff and Warnock is allowed to prattle on for about the 2 thousandth time on how Rafa played a below strength side in 2007

• Upvote 1

It wouldn't be a bad idea for Klopp to call out some of these teams and put some pressure on the media even to highlight it. 

Sick of sides bending over for City by not trying or "resting players"

so far we've had Everton, West Ham, Watford and Bournemouth all throwing in the towel before a ball is kicked. 

It's a bit like City's run in the FA Cup and champions league this season its been a piece of piss with hardly any difficult matches for them.

46 minutes ago, Mark M said:

It wouldn't be a bad idea for Klopp to call out some of these teams and put some pressure on the media even to highlight it. 

Sick of sides bending over for City by not trying or "resting players"

so far we've had Everton, West Ham, Watford and Bournemouth all throwing in the towel before a ball is kicked. 

It's a bit like City's run in the FA Cup and champions league this season its been a piece of piss with hardly any difficult matches for them.

I'm hoping that when/if sides do finally have a go it might be a bit much for them as they won't be used to it

• Upvote 1

Great report that,if any perspective were needed,

after 30 games we have scored 68 goals,

after 30 games last season we had scored 68 goals,

we now have 73 points,

we finished last season with 75 points,

with 8 games remaining whatever happens these players deserve great credit.

it will still hurt like fuck if we do miss out though 

• Upvote 2

What Lallana brings that nobody else (other than Ox) does, is that ability to run beyond the forwards and drag defenders out of position. He’s got great feet in and around the box too, but the biggest thing he does is ‘gegenpress’ the absolute fuck out of people. That’s why Klopp has always loved him. Hell, that’s one of the reasons I loved him until the injuries completely ruined him.

Damn right he does!!  And he's way better if he starts as he can't seem to pick up the pace if he joins the game part way through.

Great report as well - I'd love to see what Mariner actually put in his report for Alisson's booking as he was booked before he even opened his mouth - so it can't have been dissent, intended dissent, maybe??

• Upvote 1

• dave u unpinned this topic