You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Lallana: I just want to be out there and contribute

tlw content

Adam Lallana has given Jurgen Klopp a pleasant selection headache after producing a vintage display in Liverpool's 4-2 win against Burnley on Sunday afternoon.

You could be forgiven for thinking that we had seen the best of the English international in Liverpool colours after a wretched two year battle with a number of leg muscle injuries.

Eyebrows were certainly raised when the starting lineups were released for the high noon clash and the 30 year-old's name was on it.

This was especially the case when you take into account the demand for the likes of Naby Keita and Xherdan Shaqiri to return to the starting lineup in the hope it would give the team the kind of impetus it had been lacking in recent times.

However, as we know so well, Klopp is a man with his own ideas and has always had a fondness for Lallana, a player who was so pivotal in the German's early tenure and the midfielder got the nod after a strong week in training.

GettyImages-1134887765.jpg

Making just his fourth league start for the season, Lallana was at the heart of a number of attacking moves by the home side as they overcame an early deficit to register a vital three points to narrow Man City's lead to just one point.

Just like any player, Lallana just wants to play and admits the last couple of years have been extremely frustrating.

The Official site reported Lallana as saying:

"It has been a difficult two years for me with injuries, but hopefully that’s behind me now.

"I just want to keep working hard and contribute to what will be an exciting end to the season.

"It helps when you can be fit consistently, I’ve not had that over the last couple of years. It was a good game and I enjoyed being out there.”

Competition for places is a delight for any manager and if Lallana can maintain his current level of fitness, it will be a massive boost in the title run-in because at his best he is a player of proven quality.

Understandably Klopp was thrilled with the performance of the man of the match.

" He is always good on the ball but he is pretty aggressive too, so on the counter-press situation it is a game changer, it's a brilliant thing.

"Well done and well deserved, I am really happy for him."

Lallana said that the players knew that the resilient Clarets outfit would be a tough nut to crack, especially as they are fighting for their Premier League survival .

However, he was pleased with the overall effort of the team and said that maintaining focus was a key factor for the remaining eight games.

"Burnley made it very difficult for us and obviously got an early goal.

" All we’ve got to do is concentrate on ourselves and win games. 

"City won yesterday, so it was our job today to put in a professional performance.

"Burnley didn’t make it easy, and we might not have made it easy for ourselves at the end, but Sadio finished it off.”

With Man City in FA Cup action next week, Liverpool can return to the top of the table with a win over Fulham at Craven Cottage on Sunday.

View full article

4 hours ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

I'd play him at home against the dross only.

I'd agree with that. He's ineffective against the top teams but is a far better option than having 3 holding midfielders against the lower sides. Shaqiri is better as an impact sub and Keita still doesn't look anywhere near up to speed (or able to adapt).

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

He played well yesterday and tats very good for us. If he can keep it up and with Oxlade-Chamberlain coming back we all of a sudden could have a plethora of good midfield options 

Henderson,  Lallana and Oxo cube. 

The stuff dreams are made of.   I can hear the best midfield in the world song already.   As long as I ignore all their careers up to this point that is. 

Well need to go back into the transfer market obviously.   Kieta was our only hope this season of any creativity from midfield and that's exactly how it's played out. 

• Downvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

I’ve gone to Haven at Filey for a few days camping with my little girl in the Easter hols, and Big Ad is only doing the kids show tonight.

Good on him, I say. Fucking terrible singer though.

15A3A532-B677-4B35-9FBE-0F5765A47CDF.jpeg

DDA2732C-1F88-44F6-8651-1C8FDD52C101.jpeg

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

I’ve gone to Haven at Filey for a few days camping with my little girl in the Easter hols, and Big Ad is only doing the kids show tonight.

Good on him, I say. Fucking terrible singer though.

15A3A532-B677-4B35-9FBE-0F5765A47CDF.jpeg

DDA2732C-1F88-44F6-8651-1C8FDD52C101.jpeg

The MCC have relaxed their dress code dramatically.