You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Bayern Munich (A) Champions League 13/3/19

Bjornebye

2 hours ago, Hades said:

Aesthetically Liverpool are terrible to watch. Shankly's piano analogy has never been more apt. 

Professional away performance against a European giant. No dramas really. The 3rd goal was a touch of magic. What more do you want you spoilt cunt. 

2 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I didn't know the result until reading this thread right now. An eye opener to match threads. Reading it I thought we were really bad until the 3rd goal but as soon as that went in everybody started saying one hell of a performance. Match threads really are of the moment.

It was an enjoyable match but it was the subs who made the biggest difference. Fabinho made a huge difference and Firmino was so tightly marked that he couldn't get time on the ball. Within a couple of minutes of coming on, Origi had a big hand in the third goal. Milner, van Dijk, Matip, Fabinho and Mané were majestic. Every player on the pitch contributed. Robertson was daft getting a booking and missing the first leg of the next tie.

It seems a bit churlish after last night but what the fuck is up with Gini? It's been going on for a good while now but that guy is hardly able to stay balanced and is on the verge of falling over every time he passes the ball. He got an ongoing ear infection or something?

3 hours ago, Hades said:

Aesthetically Liverpool are terrible to watch. Shankly's piano analogy has never been more apt. 

Stick to pretending to be racist to get a reaction.   This is just daft as fuck. After dominating one of the best teams in Europe in their own back garden. 

3 hours ago, Saintslfc13 said:

Yea I’m not so sure what was terrible to watch about that performance. 

TV and internet forums. When I was a kid, you just listened to Peter Jones describe a difficult away match, with lots of noisy horns and weird chanting in the background, and then were happy you beat some Swiss team or other away.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

That's great thanks, I miss the highlights they used to do on ITV, watching SSN this morning you'd barely know we'd played last night! They do a show at 10am that might say more but at the moment it's all Grand Prix and Championship football !

5 hours ago, Hades said:

“It is not about playing free-flowing football because that is not possible against a side of this quality, you have to find different ways and we found them. That makes me really proud and happy because I think this club deserves recognition and awareness again. We are back – that’s good, we have a lot to learn but we are back. We are back. There is no doubt we are back again.”

JK

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, rubble-rouser said:

Just imagine this forum in the early 80’s. ‘Only scoring once against a bang average Madrid side with some skinny Welsh teenager on the bench. Squad needs an overhaul this summer.’

The modern football fan. All stats and hats and no fucking clue.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, suzy said:

That's great thanks, I miss the highlights they used to do on ITV, watching SSN this morning you'd barely know we'd played last night! They do a show at 10am that might say more but at the moment it's all Grand Prix and Championship football !

I also watched the highlights on YouTube here... 

And enjoyed the Barcelona vs Lyon highlights here... 

2 hours ago, Grinch said:

Stick to pretending to be racist to get a reaction.   This is just daft as fuck. After dominating one of the best teams in Europe in their own back garden. 

Steve Nicol thinks Liverpool were “atrocious” in their 3-1 victory over Bayern Munich in the second leg of their Champions League last-16 tie.

After five successive European defeats away from Anfield, Jurgen Klopp’s side – losing finalists last season – came good when it mattered to beat the German champions in the Allianz Arena to secure a place in the last eight.

Sadio Mane’s brilliant opener was cancelled out by Joel Matip’s own goal before half-time but Virgil Van Dijk’s first Champions League goal for the club meant Bayern then had to score two more. Mane converted a far-post diving header late on.

Despite the positive result, former Reds defender Nicol thought Liverpool‘s play on the ball was “as bad as I’ve ever seen.”

“I would love to say that Liverpool came and were just too clever and sat in a great spot,” Nicol, who played 343 league matches for Liverpool, said on ESPN FC.

“But the truth is that I don’t think Bayern knew what they wanted to do.

“Clearly in the first leg they sat and gave nothing away.

“But at home, and the reason we all thought they were favourites, you’d expect them to be pushing again, but they didn’t. They didn’t go forward, they just sort of sat and waited.

“If you look at the stats, the only reason they had more possession was because Liverpool kept giving them the ball.

“That had nothing to do with what they were doing.

“Liverpool on the ball in this game overall, I thought they were atrocious.

“I thought they were as bad as I’ve ever seen.

“But it goes to show you stats don’t mean anything, and the only thing that matters is the scoreline, and Liverpool won 3-1.”

18 minutes ago, Hades said:

Steve Nicol thinks Liverpool were “atrocious” in their 3-1 victory over Bayern Munich in the second leg of their Champions League last-16 tie.

After five successive European defeats away from Anfield, Jurgen Klopp’s side – losing finalists last season – came good when it mattered to beat the German champions in the Allianz Arena to secure a place in the last eight.

Sadio Mane’s brilliant opener was cancelled out by Joel Matip’s own goal before half-time but Virgil Van Dijk’s first Champions League goal for the club meant Bayern then had to score two more. Mane converted a far-post diving header late on.

Despite the positive result, former Reds defender Nicol thought Liverpool‘s play on the ball was “as bad as I’ve ever seen.”

“I would love to say that Liverpool came and were just too clever and sat in a great spot,” Nicol, who played 343 league matches for Liverpool, said on ESPN FC.

“But the truth is that I don’t think Bayern knew what they wanted to do.

“Clearly in the first leg they sat and gave nothing away.

“But at home, and the reason we all thought they were favourites, you’d expect them to be pushing again, but they didn’t. They didn’t go forward, they just sort of sat and waited.

“If you look at the stats, the only reason they had more possession was because Liverpool kept giving them the ball.

“That had nothing to do with what they were doing.

“Liverpool on the ball in this game overall, I thought they were atrocious.

“I thought they were as bad as I’ve ever seen.

“But it goes to show you stats don’t mean anything, and the only thing that matters is the scoreline, and Liverpool won 3-1.”

ESPN won't put you on the staff unless you are a bit thick.

• Upvote 2