You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Bayern Munich (A) Champions League 13/3/19

Bjornebye

13 minutes ago, A_S said:

Porto v Liverpool 

Manchester City v Manchester United

Tottenham v Juventus

Barcelona v Ajax

Not asking much, is it?

The downside is it's guaranteed that there's a manc team in the semis. Although that would probably help our Premier league adventures. 

I'd love us to get Ajax though. They really impressed me with their performance against Madrid in their own ground. Would be a great stylistic match up between us.

Even if they beat us I'd at least be glad that they are in the semis. 

13 minutes ago, A_S said:

Porto v Liverpool 

Manchester City v Manchester United

Tottenham v Juventus

Barcelona v Ajax

Not asking much, is it?

The downside is it's guaranteed that there's a manc team in the semis. Although that would probably help our Premier league adventures. 

I'd love us to get Ajax though. They really impressed me with their performance against Madrid in their own ground. Would be a great stylistic match up between us.

Even if they beat us I'd at least be glad that they are in the semis. 

1 minute ago, Josef Svejk said:

Absolute stroll.

But the attitude of the BT commentators in comparison with the United match was bizarre. In short: Bayern were shite; United were brilliant.

Spot on. We were absolutely superb in the second half. A really consummately professional performance but every time we broke down at the edge of their box it was ‘sloppy’, ‘poor’ etc. Fuck them.

3 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Incidentally, the co-commentator on my stream said, at one point, just after Mo had ridden a foul in the area "we all praise Salah for staying on his feet, but maybe he should have gone down there".

Yes. Everyone praises him for that. All the time.

It really is a Eurasia/Eastasia narrative. Ridiculous. 

• Upvote 1

Fantastic result.

Bayern had a 5-10 minute spell after their equaliser when they were pushing us back but other than that, they didn't look all that dangerous to me. They weren't exactly a massive threat in that spell either. They still have a squad packed with good players but their very experienced players are all ageing, and the ones who might replace them still look a bit raw. The ones at their peak age-wise are also a bit inconsistent and can go missing when things are turning against them.

As for us, my only real criticism is that we have to look after the ball a lot better. We improved markedly in the second half but there was still a lot of erratic play from us when we had the ball. We made our chances count but I would still look to the players to use the ball much better. Another, if I can call it a criticism, is that Robertson got caught out for the Bayern goal, and needlessly went in for a challenge late on that earned him a booking and a suspension for the next game. There is much to admire about his performances and especially his attitude which endear him to everybody, but he needs to read situations like that. Bayern needed 3 goals in 2 minutes, and he just needed to see out the game without doing anything to make the referee make a decision, and he would be free to play in the next game as any player on a single yellow after this round starts with a clean slate in the quarter finals. He had a decent game but the errors we made were his. There was another in the second half where Gnabry got in behind and flashed a ball across the six-yard box that missed everybody.

Far be it for me to dwell on the (albeit minor) negatives when there were a fair few positives. We never looked rattled and it was still our best away performance in Europe this season, by far. Mane scored two crackers, the first owing to a great first touch and excellent awareness of the situation, and the second by just finding a great position and burying the header. Van Dijk scored a bullet header from a corner. Wish he would do that more, but it needs more of our corners to at least clear the first man.

The midfield trio got through an awful lot of work to cancel out Bayern and get our forwards involved in dangerous situations. We started with the trio that I didn't want Klopp to start with and the game was very cagey up until our enforced change. We reacted to the change a lot better than Bayern, creating an opening for Firmino to shoot just wide, before Mane got in for the opener. Fabinho looks to carry the ball more readily than Henderson and it buys teammates a few extra second to try and find space and provide a passing option. When he picks someone out, that player invariably has the opportunity to use the ball constructively too instead of having to give it straight back or go backwards.

10 years ago, we played a Real Madrid side in a similar situation to Bayern this season. Reigning champions in their domestic league but not starting the season well, falling behind their biggest rivals. Then they go on a run of wins around new year and seem like they are on the up, only to revert to their early season form when up against us.

Sadly, Shaqiri didn't get to make an appearance off the bench against his old club.

4 English sides in the quarter finals then, and we are the only ones to have got through because of what we did. SPurs got past Dortmund largely because Dortmund's form has fallen off a cliff in the last couple of months. The Red Mancs got a spawny VAR decision in stoppage time against a team who flat-track bully everyone in France but shit the bed in the CL knockout stages. And the oil money Mancs faced Schalke who are one of the shittest sides to ever reach the knockout stage. By contract, we were up against a highly-experienced side with pedigree in Europe, and coming into good form in recent months.

I expect we'll get one of the other English sides in the quarter finals but I'd rather avoid that at this stage. Not sure I'd want to come up against a team like Juventus just yet either. First World problems indeed.

• Upvote 2