You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Bayern Munich (A) Champions League 13/3/19

Bjornebye

I'm not confident.  (That's usually a good thing as we weirdly seem to play well when that's the case - I remember we beat Chelsea away with Cheyrou masterclass, when I feared the worst)...

Anyway, they seem to have hit some form.  Although Kimmich not playing is a big boost.  Not only because he's an attacking threat.  But I thought he dealt with Mane really well.  Rafinha I think could struggle in that regard.

The back five pick themselves, assuming Trent is fit.  

The front three pick themselves too.  

You'd have to think we'll go 4-3-3, as Klopp rarely plays away from home against a top team not having three in midfield.

On paper we seem to have a lot of options, despite no Keita & Ox.  However I think not having those two presents a bit of a problem when looking to compile a balanced midfield.

The 6 position will be between Fabinho & Henderson.  I think Fabinho is the better player & option.  However Henderson was MOTM in the first leg playing in that role & he is fresh having not played much on the weekend.  My preference is Fabinho, but I wouldn't be upset if Henderson got the nod. 

Now here is where Klopp has an issue.  I don't think Gini looks fully fit & I don't think that has been the case for the last 3 games.  He's a very important player for us in big games.  For me he's tactically our most intelligent midfielder & that is why when he doesn't play he is missed.  Probably why Klopp is playing him despite not being 100%.  Klopp said Gini wasn't fully right on the weekend & lacked energy.  Maybe he's knackered.  But he has had heavy strapping on his leg too.  I think he's playing through an injury as he doesn't look as mobile as usual.  But having said that... I think he has to play as I fear for our CM in this game without him.

The other options to play as the 8s are Henderson, Milner & Lallana.  Our record in big away games where both Milner & Henderson play together is pretty bleak.  I think that could be even worse if they were both 8s.  Milner always goes rogue.  He might be down as a CM, but he's usually seen anywhere but the centre of the field.  He follows the ball & he drift wide a lot to get on the ball.  Henderson drifts wide a lot too when used as an 8.  This presents a problem when you lose the ball the midfield can get horribly exposed.  That is where you really miss Gini (or Keita who does it too) who will plug gaps & stay central in case we lose the ball & don't get exposed.

But the other key component to a balanced CM is having a player who will offer some penetration & link midfield too attack.  That's what we didn't have when we played Everton or United away recently.  Our best midfields this season & in Klopps reign have had balance & one player who can offer that.  Henderson-Gini-Lallana (few years ago), Henderson-Gini-Coutinho/Ox (last season), Gini-Milner-Keita (beginning of this season) Fabinho-Gini-Keita (vs Bournemouth).  For me these are the best CM combinations we've seen under Klopp & you always have one penetrative player (you also always have Gini, covering gaps).

Last weekend, we saw balance to the midfield again with Lallana.  I don't think he's our best option at the club to link midfield & attack & be that penetration.  For me Ox & Keita are those players, but they aren't fit.  Lallana however is our only fit option who can do it the best.  That is why I think he is needed to get the right balance in midfield & give us the best chance to win the game.  Guess there could be an argument for Milner, but he seems to play much better at Anfield than he does away from home.  

Therefore my midfield to start this game is Fabinho-Gini-Lallana

But given Henderson & Milner both didn't start on the weekend & Klopp does seem to like both in his midfield vs the big teams.  I wouldn't be surprised if one or both started.  As stated I could cope with one (especially Henderson as the 6, albeit not my preference).  But I think playing both could see the midfield not function correctly & then we'll be relying on our front three to be exceptional (probably feeding on scraps) & us defending superbly.  I'd rather we picked the best midfield combination to get it functioning, balanced & then I'd feel more confident tonight.  But that midfield for me would have to include Lallana & Gini out of the current available options.         

• Upvote 1