You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The thread for when you can't find the right thread

Remmie

https://www.aol.co.uk/news/2019/03/22/woman-died-after-choking-when-fitting-as-many-jaffa-cakes-into-h/

Woman died after choking when fitting as many Jaffa Cakes into her mouth as possible

Yahoo Staff Writer
Mar 22nd 2019 12:31PM

A young mother died after choking while attempting to fit as many Jaffa Cakes into her mouth as possible.

Bethan Gaskin, 24, passed out and stopped breathing after the chocolate snacks became lodged in her throat.

7825db8a1669ab7f0fd641adbec3b1e7

The mother-of-one tried to spit them out, but collapsed at her home in Bourne, Lincolnshire on February 22 and was rushed to hospital.

The beauty therapist suffered a heart attack but tragically died at Peterborough City Hospital five days later from sustained brain injuries.

On Friday, Ms Gaskin's adoptive mother Michele, 52, who witnessed the tragedy take place, warned other revellers of the dangers of attempting 'food challenges'.

She said: 'I remember raising my eyebrows when Bethan started the game, thinking 'how old are you?' and telling her to spit them out.

becd0693b19bcfec7d5fe4a524509e69

'She was like a little hamster with her cheeks bulging.

'She danced off to the toilet to get rid of them and it was only a while later we realised she had been gone a long time.'

A friend went to check on Ms Gaskin and found her slumped on the bathroom floor.

Her panic-stricken mother dialled 999 while one of her friends performed CPR as they waited for emergency services to arrive.

Continuing, Michele said: "In my heart I knew we had lost her before they put her into the ambulance. Too much time was passing."

The family gathered at her bedside to say their goodbyes on February 27. Michelle said: 'She looked perfect and so beautiful. It was just like she was sleeping.

'So many people have said they play a similar game with marshmallows. Even my 90-year-old aunt said she does it with Maltesers.

'This just shows how fragile we are.'

The family also spoke of the heart-breaking moment they told Bethan's three-year-old daughter Lili about her mother's death.

Michele said: "I just told her that mummy was very sick and the doctors couldn't make her better so she has died and we can't see her again. We talk about Bethan with Lili and she has asked a few times when we are going to mummy's."

Ms Gaskin's father Joe, 57, added: "We just tell her that mummy is an angel in heaven now."

"It was the hardest thing to have to answer all those questions when we had just said goodbye."

Ms Gaskin donated her heart, liver, kidneys, pancreas and one of her lungs.

Joe, a painter and decorator, added: "At the minute it's too soon, but I think in time it will help us to know that Bethan saved other people."

Joe and Michele adopted Bethan when she was six months old as well as her brother Joseph when he was born two years later.

9d0f812e82117b6f09b8558f0d491ddf

Bethan had worked as a carer and was now hoping to pursue a career in the beauty industry.

Dad Joe added: "There was more make-up in her flat than anything else. Bethan enjoyed spending time with her friends and also took part in medieval re-enactments.

"She was also looking forward to raising Lili and giving her the opportunities she enjoyed herself as a child. Her life was just beginning to look up after a tough time."

In a tragic twist, Michele found a Mother's Day card Bethan had bought for her while sorting through her belongings.

She said: "Bethan would normally leave everything until the last minute but my nagging was obviously paying off.

"I found a card that she had bought for me but not written on. It was heart-breaking to find it but I'll still put it up on Mother's Day."

Michele said of Ms Gaskin's 3-year-old daughter: "Lili was her life and she wanted her to experience everything she had done.

"Joseph worshipped his sister when they were younger and now him and Lili are very close.

"Bethan was only 5ft 2ins and Joseph is 6ft but she always put him in his place and now Lili does too. v We were blessed to have her as long as we did."

- This article originally appeared on Yahoo UK

On 23/03/2019 at 20:54, Spring said:

https://www.aol.co.uk/news/2019/03/22/woman-died-after-choking-when-fitting-as-many-jaffa-cakes-into-h/

Woman died after choking when fitting as many Jaffa Cakes into her mouth as possible

Yahoo Staff Writer
Mar 22nd 2019 12:31PM

A young mother died after choking while attempting to fit as many Jaffa Cakes into her mouth as possible.

Bethan Gaskin, 24, passed out and stopped breathing after the chocolate snacks became lodged in her throat.

7825db8a1669ab7f0fd641adbec3b1e7

The mother-of-one tried to spit them out, but collapsed at her home in Bourne, Lincolnshire on February 22 and was rushed to hospital.

The beauty therapist suffered a heart attack but tragically died at Peterborough City Hospital five days later from sustained brain injuries.

On Friday, Ms Gaskin's adoptive mother Michele, 52, who witnessed the tragedy take place, warned other revellers of the dangers of attempting 'food challenges'.

She said: 'I remember raising my eyebrows when Bethan started the game, thinking 'how old are you?' and telling her to spit them out.

becd0693b19bcfec7d5fe4a524509e69

'She was like a little hamster with her cheeks bulging.

'She danced off to the toilet to get rid of them and it was only a while later we realised she had been gone a long time.'

A friend went to check on Ms Gaskin and found her slumped on the bathroom floor.

Her panic-stricken mother dialled 999 while one of her friends performed CPR as they waited for emergency services to arrive.

Continuing, Michele said: "In my heart I knew we had lost her before they put her into the ambulance. Too much time was passing."

The family gathered at her bedside to say their goodbyes on February 27. Michelle said: 'She looked perfect and so beautiful. It was just like she was sleeping.

'So many people have said they play a similar game with marshmallows. Even my 90-year-old aunt said she does it with Maltesers.

'This just shows how fragile we are.'

The family also spoke of the heart-breaking moment they told Bethan's three-year-old daughter Lili about her mother's death.

Michele said: "I just told her that mummy was very sick and the doctors couldn't make her better so she has died and we can't see her again. We talk about Bethan with Lili and she has asked a few times when we are going to mummy's."

Ms Gaskin's father Joe, 57, added: "We just tell her that mummy is an angel in heaven now."

"It was the hardest thing to have to answer all those questions when we had just said goodbye."

Ms Gaskin donated her heart, liver, kidneys, pancreas and one of her lungs.

Joe, a painter and decorator, added: "At the minute it's too soon, but I think in time it will help us to know that Bethan saved other people."

Joe and Michele adopted Bethan when she was six months old as well as her brother Joseph when he was born two years later.

9d0f812e82117b6f09b8558f0d491ddf

Bethan had worked as a carer and was now hoping to pursue a career in the beauty industry.

Dad Joe added: "There was more make-up in her flat than anything else. Bethan enjoyed spending time with her friends and also took part in medieval re-enactments.

"She was also looking forward to raising Lili and giving her the opportunities she enjoyed herself as a child. Her life was just beginning to look up after a tough time."

In a tragic twist, Michele found a Mother's Day card Bethan had bought for her while sorting through her belongings.

She said: "Bethan would normally leave everything until the last minute but my nagging was obviously paying off.

"I found a card that she had bought for me but not written on. It was heart-breaking to find it but I'll still put it up on Mother's Day."

Michele said of Ms Gaskin's 3-year-old daughter: "Lili was her life and she wanted her to experience everything she had done.

"Joseph worshipped his sister when they were younger and now him and Lili are very close.

"Bethan was only 5ft 2ins and Joseph is 6ft but she always put him in his place and now Lili does too. v We were blessed to have her as long as we did."

- This article originally appeared on Yahoo UK

How many did she manage though? 

Went to a bakery earlier and ordered a sourdough loaf, didn't really think about the price. They sliced it up for me and wrapped it up all nice for me before charging £5.95 for it! 

Haha, for fucking bread? I still bought it though to save embarrassment. 

• 2 weeks later...

I couldn't find a 'bees living in tear ducts' thread, so this one will do.

Doctors discover four live bees feeding on tears inside woman's eye.

Small insects known as sweat bees were found after woman complained of a swollen eye

Four bees were pulled alive from a Taiwanese woman’s eye.

When a young Taiwanese woman named He took herself to a hospital this week complaining of a swollen eye, she expected to be treated for a simple infection.

Instead, the 29-year-old and her doctor were horrified to discover four bees living under her eyelids, feasting on her tears.

Doctors at Fooyin University Hospital in Taiwan described the incident as a “world first”, having successfully managed to extract all four sweat bees alive from He’s tear duct.

Speaking at a press conference, the hospital’s head of ophthalmology Dr Hung Chi-ting said: “I saw something that looked like insect legs, so I pulled them out under a microscope slowly, and one at a time without damaging their bodies.”

According to CTS News, He, who was referred to by her surname only, had been tending to a family member’s grave and was pulling out weeds when she felt something go into her eye. Presuming it was soil, she washed it out with water but by night it had begun to swell up and she felt a sharp stinging pain under her eyelid.

At the hospital the next morning, Hung had suspected an infection, but when he looked at He’s eye through a microscope, he saw the tiny legs of the bees wriggling in her ducts, where they were feeding off the moisture and salt of her tears.

He’s eyesight, and the lives of the bees, were saved by the fact she had not rubbed her eyes.

The small bees, known as Halictidae or “sweat bees”, are attracted to human perspiration and are found all over the world. They are not usually aggressive and sting only if touched. Hung told the press conference that sweat bees commonly nest in the mountains and near graves which explained how they had come into contact with He.

On 29/03/2019 at 09:28, VladimirIlyich said:

My daughter is getting married today and while I'm telling her to relax I am nervous as fuck! I shouldn't be but I am.

On 31/03/2019 at 17:31, VladimirIlyich said:

Update.

All went fine and I was congratulated on my speech. Apparently us scousers are still 'funny.'

Just seeing this now. I've no idea why you thought you wouldnt be nervous. It's a big day for all concerned. Glad to hear it all went well.

6 hours ago, Champ said:

Just seeing this now. I've no idea why you thought you wouldnt be nervous. It's a big day for all concerned. Glad to hear it all went well.

I was only nervous on her part because I saw the effort she and her now husband put in. I almost burst into tears walking her down the aisle yet she was fine all day. They are currently on honeymoon in Mexico.

• Upvote 3

I keep getting a redirecting advert from this site on my phone, practically every time I open a page.

Doesn’t matter if it’s GF or FF, and it’s something I need to get rid of.

Using Chrome on my iPhone, have Adblock installed and activated too.

any ideas?

2DB0A86F-83C2-4CA2-9D26-1F33DC7382F0.png

BA117D17-32AB-4AE5-BE91-98CBD5A55FDA.png

22 minutes ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

I keep getting a redirecting advert from this site on my phone, practically every time I open a page.

any ideas?

Could be your VPN.

Was it wrong to laugh out loud at this bit in that Jaffa Cake natural selection in action story?

She was like a little hamster with her cheeks bulging.

'She danced off to the toilet to get rid of them and it was only a while later we realised she had been gone a long time.'

21 hours ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

any ideas?

Be brave, use a browser for grown ups - chrome with an adblocker is somewhat perverse

Edited to add the link

https://brave.com/