You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

This Man City FFP stuff

Bjornebye

Would you take a points deduction for City to guarantee the title for us this year?   

133 members have voted

1. 1. Would you take a points deduction for City to guarantee the title for us this year?

• Yes I'd rip your fucking arm off for the title this year fuck the oil money cheating Manc bastards.
    • No. It will taint our first title in years. I'd rather see what happens.

2 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Wasn't United first premier league win with the most expensive side ever assembled in the country? After 26 years of doing fuck all. 

They were inside the top 4 for 7 out of the previous 11 seasons before they won it. They should have won the league the season before they actually did.

No idea how expensive their squad was in comparison to others.

49 minutes ago, Brownie said:

Regardless of how the wealth is acquired though there’s a difference between organically growing via success as opposed to just throwing loads of cash at it before you’ve achieved anything.

There is for me anyway.

Agreed but I don’t begrudge Blabkburn their 15 minutes of fame 

41 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Blackburn also made a fair chunk of cash back selling on Shearer and Berg for record fees and Sutton later for double what they paid

Didn't do them much good. 

Even Jack Walkers wealth wouldn't make must difference today. Oil is a a bit more profitable than Steel 

Clubs buying the best footballers has always been the reason for sustained success. United used to just be able to top up their side with insanely expensive players and not be too bugged out if some failed. I remember just thinking how can you compete with those finances as soon as Blackburn could the playing field levelled temporary and then Chelsea and City came along and it was harder to be a singular force. No coincendence for me that we start a title challenge after we went for top tier players in Allison and VVD. United where always willing to go to that level and it paid dividends, every year was just a talent top up where as our was a rebuild usually with make do shite.

When United paid those fees for the likes of Rooney and Ferdinand the fees blew my mind what was Rio about 30 million quid around 15 years ago! but now it seems like a bargain, pretty much like our goalkeeper and VVD seem astute buys.

FFP is trying to level up the playing field a bit more and city seem to be blatantly breaking those rules but when many clubs made their names their was no FFP they could grow a fan base increase revenues over time and with United get very lucky with timing and be smart enough to take advantage.

Maybe FFP should allow smaller clubs the chance to grow so they can build upon it, then be strict the very top too limit the gulf. Fuck knows. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Clubs buying the best footballers has always been the reason for sustained success. United used to just be able to top up their side with insanely expensive players and not be too bugged out if some failed. I remember just thinking how can you compete with those finances as soon as Blackburn could the playing field levelled temporary and then Chelsea and City came along and it was harder to be a singular force. No coincendence for me that we start a title challenge after we went for top tier players in Allison and VVD. United where always willing to go to that level and it paid dividends, every year was just a talent top up where as our was a rebuild usually with make do shite.

When United paid those fees for the likes of Rooney and Ferdinand the fees blew my mind what was Rio about 30 million quid around 15 years ago! but now it seems like a bargain, pretty much like our goalkeeper and VVD seem astute buys.

FFP is trying to level up the playing field a bit more and city seem to be blatantly breaking those rules but when many clubs made their names their was no FFP they could grow a fan base increase revenues over time and with United get very lucky with timing and be smart enough to take advantage.

Maybe FFP should allow smaller clubs the chance to grow so they can build upon it, then be strict the very top too limit the gulf. Fuck knows. 

They could easily tweak the rules to allow this. For example, they could say that the rules don't bite if your wages are less than £100m a year.  

I am being cynical or is this more about showing City as a force for good in the game than banging nonces to right

Manchester City have launched a redress scheme for victims of historical child sex abuse.

The scheme will involve offering compensation packages and an apology to players sexually abused during their time in the club's youth set-up.

14 hours ago, Brownie said:

They were inside the top 4 for 7 out of the previous 11 seasons before they won it. They should have won the league the season before they actually did.

No idea how expensive their squad was in comparison to others.

When Busby first went there he helped repair and paint the stands, just like Shankly did at Anfield. The foundations of United's modern success, like our own, are deep and were put in place by iconic managers and players.

Even during the 80's and early 90's when they always seemed to be associated with naff glamour and unsubstantiated 'big club' bullshit, their allure was built on a legitimate organic growth. They then happened to be in the right place at the right time when the PL came along and they had the commercial nous to make it count. As outre as their displays of wealth may have been over the years, they were  no more shitty  than being the first English team to have as sponsor's logo on the shirt.  

• Upvote 3

45 minutes ago, magicrat said:

I am being cynical or is this more about showing City as a force for good in the game than banging nonces to right

Manchester City have launched a redress scheme for victims of historical child sex abuse.

The scheme will involve offering compensation packages and an apology to players sexually abused during their time in the club's youth set-up.

No you're not being cynical. There is no way they'd have launched this scheme if they'd not been in the news recently for alleged dodgy conduct off the field. It is a blatant attempt to redress the narrative and present a different perception.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

11 minutes ago, Trumo said:

No you're not being cynical. There is no way they'd have launched this scheme if they'd not been in the news recently for alleged dodgy conduct off the field. It is a blatant attempt to redress the narrative and present a different perception.

Negged for you using the N-word.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, aws said:

They could easily tweak the rules to allow this. For example, they could say that the rules don't bite if your wages are less than £100m a year.  

They'd just try to sidestep the rule by paying low wages but having individual players "sponsored" by some blag Arab company. 

I am sure Johnson would have been arsed if he had been find 0.001% of his income. 

It is financial doping pure and simple.

If you cheat you deserve the penalty. They only thing that will upset City is not winning trophies, docking them points makes that harder for them, so that should be their punishment. 

It’s a good job however that they’ve just signed that £650m kit deal to balance the books a bit, in fact you’d say it’s very good foresight of Puma to agree to the 3rd highest deal ever.

Even stressing that the deal covers the women’s, youth and their other franchises so that no one would question it

what with them been such a huge global brand there’d be no suggestion that the owners have propped this deal up... no suggestion at all!

• Upvote 2

The guardian had 2 articles on Liverpool yesterday, in the first one Klopp spoke about needing champions league money to stay competitive and in the other it was about needing experience to progress.

The later article was open to comments, the first one wasn't.  I posted the following which the guardian removed.

"nice to see Klopp keeping FFP front and centre because if your read British papers, watch British TV or listen to British radio you wouldn't know the champions of England are under investigation "

It goes to show the pressure that is being applied that my statement is true and also the fact the guardian saw fit to remove a fairly mundane post.

• Upvote 2

Reports that City are set to be hit by a two window transfer ban in the next few days by FIFA. Same reason as Chelsea, breaking rules around signing young players. Not sure it will hurt them the way it will hurt Chelsea, but still good news, especially if it pisses off Guardiola. 

*Edit - I saw this on the Daily Mail, but just noticed that the source is The Sun so take with a pinch of salt.

16 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

Reports that City are set to be hit by a two window transfer ban in the next few days by FIFA. Same reason as Chelsea, breaking rules around signing young players. Not sure it will hurt them the way it will hurt Chelsea, but still good news, especially if it pisses off Guardiola. 

*Edit - I saw this on the Daily Mail, but just noticed that the source is The Sun so take with a pinch of salt.

Hopefully that's just the punishment for the dodgy Sancho deal, and there's more to come after the breach of FFP is investigated fully. 

A transfer ban means very little to them, they're already stocked with depth upon depth, including a lot of young players.

It's the equivalent of giving a robber who stole £100m a fine of £20m.

But I assume that would just be the penalty for the youth signings, no? They would presumably face a more serious penalty (like being excluded from European competition for a season or two) for the FFP violations.

On 13/03/2019 at 14:12, No2 said:

The guardian had 2 articles on Liverpool yesterday, in the first one Klopp spoke about needing champions league money to stay competitive and in the other it was about needing experience to progress.

The later article was open to comments, the first one wasn't.  I posted the following which the guardian removed.

"nice to see Klopp keeping FFP front and centre because if your read British papers, watch British TV or listen to British radio you wouldn't know the champions of England are under investigation "

It goes to show the pressure that is being applied that my statement is true and also the fact the guardian saw fit to remove a fairly mundane post.

The Guardian is the Manc RAWK