You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Is football dying

Lee909

Can't think of a better title 

I hardly watch a full game now unless it one of ours and honestly whether we win or lose it doesn't really affect my mood. Years back if we kicked off at 12:30 on a Saturday and lost my weekend was ruined. I was glued to any game on TV and sat nervously watching every game of ours. Now if we score or conceded it barley registers either way. Takes something special to get any emotion. 

The game is just about dead to me

With the influx of oil money, crap fan 'banter(I fucking hate that word), social media gimps, VAR, over saturation, costs, no nothing dickheads in the media and every cunt thinking their opinion matters and fucking stats galore it feels dead. 

There's more fucking stats than baseball these days. The NFL has gone the same way. Fight sports are half dead with every dickhead trying to be a half sized Conor Mcgregor and every Eddie Hearn(cunt) selling every fight as some bad blood fued of the ages. 

What the fucks wrong with sports. 

I need a decent one to follow and egg chasing can fuck right off. Public school boys, soggy biscuit eating nonces

• Upvote 2

The inescapable 24/7 media (traditional and social) is what is making sports and football shit now because it fucks with you psychologically. Thinking of all the made up narratives and spin from know-nothing cunt pundits/journos and overly tribal rival supporters following any result is what disinterests me and makes me want to disconnect from football and other sports.

If you manage to disregard the external opinions that make you angry and don't matter, you can just enjoy the games. That's what I find at least. 

I'm not just saying that because I'm Canadian, if you want a somewhat mainstream sport that is still relatively "humble" and that offers decent excitement, I'd suggest hockey (NHL). 

• Upvote 1

Oh and modern kids playing FIFA and thinking it's real football, and how FIFA ratings sort out good players. 

British Barcelona and Real Madrid fans

If your old mams not Spanish you amd you support either you are a cunt. A modern day, glory hunting, football started in 1992 cunt

I said to my missus if Liverpool win the league this year then I'm done. It's all I've wanted to see as an adult. That happens I can retire and step away from the hate filled sport... or the sport that fills me with hate. I don't even like talking about it with anybody anymore, views are just so extreme, bias and hypocritical. I baulk at evertons bile towards us but then I think of mancs and want a meteorite to wipe them out. That ain't good, it's a bastard game, its ridiculous.

That's why I want to step away. It's making me a twat or giving strength to the twat that's already within. 

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I said to my missus if Liverpool win the league this year then I'm done. It's all I've wanted to see as an adult. That happens I can retire and step away from the hate filled sport... or the sport that fills me with hate. I don't even like talking about it with anybody anymore, views are just so extreme, bias and hypocritical. I baulk at evertons bile towards us but then I think of mancs and want a meteorite to wipe them out. That ain't good, it's a bastard game, its ridiculous.

That's why I want to step away. It's making me a twat or giving strength to the twat that's already within. 

I suspect I would disengage very considerably if we won the League.

After that, there would be nothing more I'd want from football - that was worth enduring the shitness of modern football for.

For example, I could want to get back in front of the Mancs on 21 titles - but that would be because of how much I hate them, and at my age, that would be a bit sad.

I think I'd merely content myself with the fact that - when I was a young man - it was 18-7.

3 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

The inescapable 24/7 media (traditional and social) is what is making sports and football shit now because it fucks with you psychologically. Thinking of all the made up narratives and spin from know-nothing cunt pundits/journos and overly tribal rival supporters following any result is what disinterests me and makes me want to disconnect from football and other sports.

If you manage to disregard the external opinions that make you angry and don't matter, you can just enjoy the games. That's what I find at least. 

I'm not just saying that because I'm Canadian, if you want a somewhat mainstream sport that is still relatively "humble" and that offers decent excitement, I'd suggest hockey (NHL). 

Wayne Gretsky approves this message.

Personally speaking I lead a full life (not necessarily in the Carl Rogers sense, but I have an awful lot to be grateful for) but yet, if I didn't have football, I know a huge part of me would be empty.

I do think your conflating off-field fluff too much with the game of football, Lee.  Keep away from punditry, social media and online forums other than TLW, and life will be better, I'd say.

Go Oilers!

• Upvote 1

Part of the problem is the game's gotten too fast. All 22 players can cover every blade of grass in a matter of seconds. Every game is full of 11 Western African/half-African athletes playing the same pinball style tactics. Maybe taking out one player or finding a way to make it more technical would make the game better. It's like watching the AFCON everywhere. 

• Downvote 1

11 minutes ago, Hades said:

Part of the problem is the game's gotten too fast. All 22 players can cover every blade of grass in a matter of seconds. Every game is full of 11 Western African/half-African athletes playing the same pinball style tactics. Maybe taking out one player or finding a way to make it more technical would make the game better. It's like watching the AFCON everywhere. 

What????

Was talking about this with a mate who used to be as die hard a supporter of Arsenal as I am of Liverpool.

He's just lost that bit of insanity that surrounds being a fan. I'm pretty much on the same sloap if football keeps the downslide it's on at the moment. Players out of contact with the real world, the huge amount of money they are paid is ridicoulous. Pundits who are completely idiots to listen too. And the introduction of VAR to judge all kinds of shit. We saw yesterday a completely idiotic ref handing a penalty out to the Mancs ( My view have nothing to do with that specific incident ) I would have been livid if that happened to us. VAR should only be used for Offsides and goalline tech.

Refs being completely shit is another thing that makes football go down the drain. In the PL there is probably one ref that is above average and that is Michael Oliver usually. The rest seems biased cunts or just plain miserable. 

I'm waiting on that PL league and that's about it with me spending a what I think is a big amount of money each year following my first love. I'm at a stage where I'm thinking why should I keep paying towards multi millionaires who needs pretty much one days earning to cover my early earnings. Read Özil. 

Football is out of touch with the real world. All along writing this I'm sitting here thinking if I'll ever be able to just walk away and say fuck it. I only watch our games pretty much these days. Occasionally there sneaks a CL game or a PL game that doesn't include us in. But other than that very very rarely another game is watch in full.

26 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

What????

What? I don't like the extremely physical pinball style football you see among African nations with fewer playmakers and time on the ball. I know we're very good at it under Klopp but it's not the reason I got into football.

14 minutes ago, Hades said:

What? I don't like the extremely physical pinball style football you see among African nations with fewer playmakers and time on the ball. I know we're very good at it under Klopp but it's not the reason I got into football.

We have only two Africans in our regular line up and they are both forwards who've played in European football for years. North African football is often slow and tactical while the rest of African football tends to mix pace and flair to differing degrees. I don't know what your point is as our manager is a European with a European style of play. You seem to be infringing on racial and ethnic grounds once more with no cause for it.

Replying just to the title as the rest of the thread is prime TLDR. 

Depends what you mean by ‘football’. If by ‘football’ you mean the global sport, then the answer is an emphatic ‘no’. If you mean the footy we grew up watching in the 80s, then thatsll died out long ago. 

42 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

We have only two Africans in our regular line up and they are both forwards who've played in European football for years. North African football is often slow and tactical while the rest of African football tends to mix pace and flair to differing degrees. I don't know what your point is as our manager is a European with a European style of play. You seem to be infringing on racial and ethnic grounds once more with no cause for it.

You've forgotten I'm an anti-stattist and anti-moneyist as well. Anyway, Jay Jay Okocha, Sadio Mané and George Weah are some of my favourite players. I'm a terrible bigot.

15 minutes ago, Hades said:

You've forgotten I'm an anti-stattist and anti-moneyist as well. Anyway, Jay Jay Okocha, Sadio Mané and George Weah are some of my favourite players. I'm a terrible bigot.

You said we play 'African football' and I have no idea what that even means. As for the 'some of my favourite players are black' thing it sounds a lot like another similar phrase.

2 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

You said we play 'African football' and I have no idea what that even means. As for the 'some of my favourite players are black' thing it sounds a lot like another similar phrase.

In fairness, he does follow it with "I'm a terrible bigot".

25 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I'm sure there are some pearls being unclutched somewhere. Why don't you find them?

2 hours ago, Hades said:

“Part of the problem is we’re seeing too many black players”

Well done you racist fucking halfwit.